Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default hid kit for 99.99 at starrotors.com too good to be true?

has anyone tried this kit? they do have plug and play harness for spyder

Spyder Garage

Be very carefully with certain HID kits on the Spyder.

Our testing has shown the new design ballasts many companies are using although really cool and small won't work on the Spyder. These new style ballasts actually will cause the Spyder not to run!

We know this first hand as we were actually going to switch to the new design, but our testing showed this problem. As these new designs interfere with the CAN-BUS system.

This ballast will also cause several codes and trigger the check engine light, VSS code, ABS failure codes and a whole bunch of problems. As well as cause an extreme high idle even after removed at about 5000 + rpms!

Check with the company that sells these to see what style ballast they use and if they have "first hand" actually run one on a Spyder themselves.

The trip to the dealer to clear the codes and get the Spyder running again can be a real pain in the neck.

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default spec and email response from starrotors.com

Tech details:

ISO 9001:2000,E-Mark
    Input: DC 9V-16V
    Normal Working Voltage: 12V
    Ballast Output Power: 35W
    Life-Expectancy: >3000 hours
    Luminoua Flux: 3200
    Auction Includes:

Two Xenon HID Light Bulbs
    Two Digital Slim Ballasts with Cables (3" long x 2.5" wide x .5" thick)
    High Voltage Wire Harness
    Other Installation Accessories for installation
    User Manual

this is all the info they have on kit and following is email response i got form starrotors.com
    one thing i like about this company is their response time when i email them its within like a minute

We have not installed them here at our shop on a CanAm, but we have sold many kits to the local CanAm dealer with no problems. We have installed over 200 kits at our shop on various other bikes. HID Kits draw less power than the stock bulbs after startup, the bulbs also run cooler than stock bulbs at all times. We have also sell around 100-130 kits a month online.
    -Rick
    StarRotors.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    This ballast will also cause several codes and trigger the check engine light, VSS code, ABS failure codes and a whole bunch of problems. As well as cause an extreme high idle even after removed at about 5000 + rpms!MM
    MM, what you just described is EXACTLY what happened to me and I have your HID kit installed. It makes me wonder if I experienced a ballast issue versus a relay issue? My idle wasn't quite as high, more like 2500.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Tech details:

ISO 9001:2000,E-Mark
    Input: DC 9V-16V
    Normal Working Voltage: 12V
    Ballast Output Power: 35W
    Life-Expectancy: >3000 hours
    Luminoua Flux: 3200
    Auction Includes:

Two Xenon HID Light Bulbs
    Two Digital Slim Ballasts with Cables (3" long x 2.5" wide x .5" thick)
    High Voltage Wire Harness
    Other Installation Accessories for installation
    User Manual

this is all the info they have on kit and following is email response i got form starrotors.com
    one thing i like about this company is their response time when i email them its within like a minute

We have not installed them here at our shop on a CanAm, but we have sold many kits to the local CanAm dealer with no problems. We have installed over 200 kits at our shop on various other bikes. HID Kits draw less power than the stock bulbs after startup, the bulbs also run cooler than stock bulbs at all times. We have also sell around 100-130 kits a month online.
    -Rick
    StarRotors.com

Life-Expectancy: >3000 hours? Like >125 days?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    MM, what you just described is EXACTLY what happened to me and I have your HID kit installed. It makes me wonder if I experienced a ballast issue versus a relay issue? My idle wasn't quite as high, more like 2500.
    If it did it right after the install and you had one of the new style ballast (that they don't sell) then I would say yes but you won't make it out of the shop with the other ballest so that's not your problem.

I've tested the new ballest and that's when we found this problem.

Spyder Garage

I very much doubt you are having any problems with the "silver series" ballast unit you have.

The problems I have described are not a once in awhile thing. It is an everytime won't ever run problem with these ballasts. Bikes won't even start right put of the gate!

You are somewhat correct in it "acts" like bad relays when it happens as the field these ballasts make affects the Can-Bus system which controls everything, including relays.

We have not seen any problems with our current silver ballasts, and have hundreds not only sold, but sold and ON SPYDERS.

Unlike some other companies who only resell their kits, we actually own 2 Spyders and live with them everyday just like all of you do.

We have 4 of these ballasts on our SM5 Spyders (2 for headlights 2 for fog lights) and 2 on our SE5. I also know Lamonster has 4 of these units on his Spyder too, as does his friend Ron who also has 4 ballasts on his.

So besides the countless kits we have sold to just regular customers. We have 4 different Spyders we get constant and immmediate feedback from everyday.

When it comes to R&D nothing can replace actually owning a unit to test products on. This goes not only for initially testing, but long term everyday use as well.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 11-18-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Isn't starrotors the place where daddydarko got his ultra cheap HID kit that he couldn't get to install on his Spyder? Something with the design of their bulbs?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    I very much doubt you are having any problems with the "silver series" ballast unit you have.MM
    MM and Lamonster, thanks for the reply. I am just trying to figure out what caused all my fault codes and stalling. I was hoping it was something as simple as a relay but now I have my doubts. I did swap the relays but I have been riding it the past two days with them swapped back and it has been running just fine. I just wish I could put my finger on exactly what happened.

Spyder Garage

MM and Lamonster, thanks for the reply. I am just trying to figure out what caused all my fault codes and stalling. I was hoping it was something as simple as a relay but now I have my doubts. I did swap the relays but I have been riding it the past two days with them swapped back and it has been running just fine. I just wish I could put my finger on exactly what happened.
    Just bad contacts on the relays can cause this type of thing. When you removed and re-installed the relays you may very well have made them make better contact with their connections in the fuse box.

I know I heard that BRP had some problems with the PE edition Spyder fuse box connections not making good contact.

MM

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default fog lights

are there any aftermarket stand alone hid fog lights?
    seems i have to buy brp fog lights for $350 than spend another 350 to buy hid kit.

Spyder Garage

Dont skimp on HID's for spyder buy the BRP i know they are pricey but no worries and worth every dime

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i am not spending 1200bucks for HID headlights so i wanted to get HID fog lights but seems i will have to spend at least 700bucks. 350 for brp fog light than another 350 for HID kit. brp dont have HID fog lights do they?
    well i guess if they do have them it would cost just as much as headlights

Spyder Garage

For about $350 you can get the NoMagicNeon HID headlight upgrade. You won't have fog lights but the ultra white HIDs are head and shoulders above BRP's stock headlights. Like Magic Man said, his HIDs have been battle tested on a number of Spyders and they work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i like the idea of having 4 lights up front both for more visibility and looks
    but i really can not see myself spending 1300 for hid headlights so i wanted add fog lights in HID but....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    i like the idea of having 4 lights up front both for more visibility and looks
    but i really can not see myself spending 1300 for hid headlights so i wanted add fog lights in HID but....
    An option... $40 plus a few hours of wiring... not HID, though.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...03&postcount=2

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder: