Spyder Garage

Default Beware- Best warrantee(Canadians buying in U.S)

Greetings all. My wife bought a used 2010 RTS from the local BRP dealer with transferable Best warrantee. It needs a new throttle body ($1500. installed) The VIN shows this Canadian built Spyder was originally sold in the U.S.A. Even after receiving her BRP welcome package and Best warrantee transfer , she was denied warrantee, but if she had a U.S. box # or address - warrantee would be honoured ($50.00 deductible) or take/haul it to an authorized dealer in the U.S. (that trip to unfamiliar dealer(500 miles) -leave spyder -drive 500 mi home-wait for phone call (who knows how long) -drive 500 mi back to dealer-(no long test drive because it's winter -20C) load up-drive 500 mi home -don't know if it's fixed until summer long ride. Long story short- $1500. was her way to go. So Canadian buyers of that Super Deal from the U.S.---BEWARE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAEN View Post
    Greetings all. My wife bought a used 2010 RTS from the local BRP dealer with transferable Best warrantee. It needs a new throttle body ($1500. installed) The VIN shows this Canadian built Spyder was originally sold in the U.S.A. Even after receiving her BRP welcome package and Best warrantee transfer , she was denied warrantee, but if she had a U.S. box # or address - warrantee would be honoured ($50.00 deductible) or take/haul it to an authorized dealer in the U.S. (that trip to unfamiliar dealer(500 miles) -leave spyder -drive 500 mi home-wait for phone call (who knows how long) -drive 500 mi back to dealer-(no long test drive because it's winter -20C) load up-drive 500 mi home -don't know if it's fixed until summer long ride. Long story short- $1500. was her way to go. So Canadian buyers of that Super Deal from the U.S.---BEWARE
    I am thinking that the local dealer where you bought it should deal with the warranty issues. The dealer should have been aware and made you aware of out of country warranty consequences. If the warranty was a part of the sales pitch, all the costs should be on the dealer.

I for one, would not be letting the dealer off the hook in this situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default I hope that's not true

I sold my RTL to a nice Canadian man. Before I sold it, I called to see if the warranty could be transferred to him, and was assured that it was. He also called about it and was also told that it was. There was no transfer fee -- the warranty stays with the Spyder no matter who paid for it.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

THX AKSPYDERMAN, It was the U.S. bought Best extended warrantee that stops out of the U.S.A. I'll post a copy of my reply from BRP. My dealer did tell us this was a U.S. Spyder but since he was registered as the 2nd owner since arriving from the U.S.-the Spyder should be covered. BRP-BEST says No !

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

When we bought my wife's 2009 RS in the US a few years ago, it had some extended warranty left on it. When I called about transferring the warranty I was also told that any warranty work would have to be done by a dealer in the US. I am surprised that you were not told this from the start. I suspect your dealer knew about this but chose to not tell you.

Spyder Garage

My thread was to warn about Best out of U.S. coverage.

Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like our northern friends need a PO Box # south of the border.

Spyder Garage

Default Best warranty

Quote Originally Posted by JAEN View Post
    THX AKSPYDERMAN, It was the U.S. bought Best extended warrantee that stops out of the U.S.A. I'll post a copy of my reply from BRP. My dealer did tell us this was a U.S. Spyder but since he was registered as the 2nd owner since arriving from the U.S.-the Spyder should be covered. BRP-BEST says No !

C'mon BRP,

I am a big fan of your company. I've had the 4 wheeler, a 2013 RT, a 2014 RT, AND now a 2015 f3. All of them have run flawlessly! Sheer engineering genius. If you absolutely can't make this happen under warranty, then do it at cost or meet them halfway,these are your countrymen.

Best regards,

Ron

Spyder Garage

Really BRP. Dr Seuss comes to mind "Support your product here, support your product there, support your product anywhere!"

Cj JAX

Spyder Garage

This happens all the time to Canadians. A while ago our $ was worth more than yours & Canadians who lived close to the border would travel to their closest state & try to purchase a new car. Your prices were lower & our $ higher so there was a lot of money to be saved, even after paying various amounts at the border.

In the end, most of the car manufacturers forbade their dealers from selling to Canadians & if they did, the warranty would not be honoured.

This is just more of the same bs from our regulators.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc