Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Question? 2013RT On FIRE?

I own a 2013 RT and like most other 2013 RT owners are waiting to hear the FIX! I test drove the 2015 RT's this week and was impressed. Interested in either trading in or selling mine but due to so many negative comments about this model, its difficult to get a decent trade in valve. Everyone has the right to their opinion, and I do enjoy reading the variety of opinions, so in getting that said, Does anyone know how many reports has there actually been on these catching fire? The thought of getting a instance sunburn does make me a slight bit concerned. Thanks in advance for ALL the comments.

Spyder Garage

Default Fires...

you can count them on one hand. Sadly not all of the 2013's had problems. Many have been dealt with and the rest will as the update states. The damage is done and it is rough. Dealers should be the last to take advantage of the situation low balling trade ins. They will be updated and work as they should. Buyers should not fear cause in the end it will be no different than buying a refurbished item...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A demo RT burned in June of 2013, one burned in Ontario Canada in late July or the 1st of August, mine burned on August 7th. Another burned around Christmas of 2013 (he had not had the recall done) DatGuy's burned last August or September and he had had the recall work done.

There are some great deals to be had on leftover 2014 RTs. Nothing new on the 2015 besides colors.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    A demo RT burned in June of 2013, one burned in Ontario Canada in late July or the 1st of August, mine burned on August 7th. Another burned around Christmas of 2013 (he had not had the recall done) DatGuy's burned last August or September and he had had the recall work done.

There are some great deals to be had on leftover 2014 RTs. Nothing new on the 2015 besides colors.
    Thanks for the info. I will admit while riding the other day that I was constantly looking at my temp gauge, and paying more attention to the heat from the tupperware. I may be trying to convince myself that I need a newer ride, after all who won't want a newer, more powerful bike to ride?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruising RT View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will admit while riding the other day that I was constantly looking at my temp gauge, and paying more attention to the heat from the tupperware. I may be trying to convince myself that I need a newer ride, after all who won't want a newer, more powerful bike to ride?
    I hope for your sake that they come up with a real solution to the issues but even if they do, the 2014/15 RT is well worth the money.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Actually, according to the letter sent by the NHTSA to BRP back in October 2014, which got the ball rolling on the recall , BRP has identified a total of 49 fires, 16 related to the gas cap, 30 related to the evap cannister, and 3 related to the tandem master cylinder. These are identified on pages 8 & 9 of the letter which references the investigation PE14025. This letter can be found on the NHTSA website, http://www.safercar.gov/. Click "search for recalls", then in the new window select model year, make, and model, then click "investigations", then click "3 associated documents". It is the first one listed, "IR Letter To BRP, Inc". According to Steve at BRP care, BRP is "on track" for the "fix" to start in May, but he would not provide any details as to what the "fix" will be.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cruising RT i can see where you coming from. I was a bit concerned when i bought mine. I would be riding in fear thinking is this thing going to flame up? I don't anymore. I just say a prayer before every ride and ride on. I do hope BRP come with a solution to the problem though that will make all owners happy.

Spyder Garage

A real predicament for sure. Based on the # of fires listed I would not be to worried about the 2013 that you are riding going up in flames.

That said, if the item is of concern to you on an ongoing basis, it is time to consider replacing the unit.

If the "fix" works, then that should help a bit with reputation issues. I am afraid that the damage has already been done as far as resale value goes. That is an issue that is a sore spot for many owners of the 2013.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeflex42 View Post
    Cruising RT i can see where you coming from. I was a bit concerned when i bought mine. I would be riding in fear thinking is this thing going to flame up? I don't anymore. I just say a prayer before every ride and ride on. I do hope BRP come with a solution to the problem though that will make all owners happy.
    ​AWESOME ANSWER!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Actually, according to the letter sent by the NHTSA to BRP back in October 2014, which got the ball rolling on the recall , BRP has identified a total of 49 fires, 16 related to the gas cap, 30 related to the evap cannister, and 3 related to the tandem master cylinder. These are identified on pages 8 & 9 of the letter which references the investigation PE14025. This letter can be found on the NHTSA website, http://www.safercar.gov/. Click "search for recalls", then in the new window select model year, make, and model, then click "investigations", then click "3 associated documents". It is the first one listed, "IR Letter To BRP, Inc". According to Steve at BRP care, BRP is "on track" for the "fix" to start in May, but he would not provide any details as to what the "fix" will be.
    Wow. Before we go misleading folks here, we should clarify that the 49 reported fires are NOT all 2013 RT's (which is the subject of this thread). That number is the total number of reported fires for ALL Spyder models and all model years. That letter does not break down the reported fires by model or year, as far as I can see, although a significant number of them ARE related to issues that are present on the 2013 RT. Also, note that the the recall for the "fix" you are talking about is indeed only for the 2013 RT. All the other models will presumably also get attention, but they are starting with the 2013 RT, since that model has demonstrated some unique circumstances. (There have already been several warranty bulletins issued, including the new body panels for the ST which was issued last year.)

Also, for the OP's piece of mind and as Gene pointed out in the second post, it seems worth repeating that, the pending recall aside, now that we know the reason for the fires, there are steps that can be taken (and have been taken by owners like myself, and also through BRP warranty bulletins), that significantly reduce the threat of a fire on any model including the 2013 RT.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-21-2015 at 02:52 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Wow. Before we go misleading folks here, we should clarify that the 49 reported fires are NOT all 2013 RT's (which is the subject of this thread). That number is the total number of reported fires for ALL Spyder models and all model years. That letter does not break down the reported fires by model or year, as far as I can see, although a significant number of them ARE related to issues that are present on the 2013 RT. Also, note that the the recall for the "fix" you are talking about is indeed only for the 2013 RT. All the other models will presumably also get attention, but they are starting with the 2013 RT, since that model has demonstrated some unique circumstances. (There have already been several warranty bulletins issued, including the new body panels for the ST which was issued last year.)

Also, for the OP's piece of mind and as Gene pointed out in the second post, it seems worth repeating that, the pending recall aside, now that we know the reason for the fires, there are steps that can be taken (and have been taken by both owners and through BRP warranty bulletins), that significantly reduce the threat of a fire on any model including the 2013 RT.
    You are absolutely correct. I got my information from BRP customer service while I was dealing with my incident and it was also confirmed by someone at NHTSA. This is information on the 2013 RT which was what the OP was asking about.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    The reported fires that you refer to are for all models and all years. My information came from BRP while I was dealing with my fire and was confirmed by the NHTSA investigator. This information is for the 2013 RT which is what the OP was asking about.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Sorry if I misled anyone. MY Bad! Yes, that was the TOTAL number of fires for all models, not just the RT. And yes, the ST's have gotten new panels, but no one knows yet what will be done for the RT's. The remedy is still "under development".
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; at least the fix is in the works...
    Time will tell all; let's hope that the story has a happy ending!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

... AND after that "happy ending", that the market values of the 2013 RT's begin to normalize again.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Unhappy 2013 RT fire

There does exist a fire problem with some 2013 RT models. My 2013 RT Limited SE5 with just 1300 km caught fire and burned, destroying many panels and most of the wiring to such an extent that the local dealer here in the Philippines stated they will replace it with a new unit. I have owned the unit for 6 weeks and only after the fire discovered a recall issued in February this year. All of my riding prior to the fire followed the guidelines set down in the recall notice, i.e., no slow riding in traffic, no riding in high ambient temperatures, not parked indoor in non-vented area, etc. Fortunately, I was accompanying a large group of riders and swift action by members put out the fire before it could spread to other parked bikes.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Cruising RT View Post
    I own a 2013 RT and like most other 2013 RT owners are waiting to hear the FIX! I test drove the 2015 RT's this week and was impressed. Interested in either trading in or selling mine but due to so many negative comments about this model, its difficult to get a decent trade in valve. Everyone has the right to their opinion, and I do enjoy reading the variety of opinions, so in getting that said, Does anyone know how many reports has there actually been on these catching fire? The thought of getting a instance sunburn does make me a slight bit concerned. Thanks in advance for ALL the comments.
    Unfortunately some 2013 RT's do burst into flames. Mine caught fire with 1300 km on it even though all recommendations in the recall letter were followed.

Spyder Garage

I test rode the "demo" RT that burned up in PA.. And I mean it burned up. Only thing left was the frame and wheels. A sorry thing to see. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's all hope that next Month's recall, will solve the problems that are affecting these bikes...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

And then I hope they work on the pre-13s... I'm not worried about our 2011's burning, but the boiling gas and excessive fumes/gas drips are a concern. Putting fresh cold gas in right before parking helps, but that shouldn't be considered a fix.

I am hoping what ever they do on the 13's can be reasonably replicated on the other years that need it as both of our 2011s do it.

It's not gonna keep us from riding or anything though.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I see the thread kind of fixed itself from going totally South.

Yes, we are all hoping for the fix. I would not bet on the resale value going up on 2013 RT because the damage is done. The fact that some dealers are low-balling people with $10K trade in values, or outright refusing to take 2013 RT's as trades indicates a problem.

I noted a person from Seattle was selling a 2013 RT on craigslist locally (AK). He was asking for $17K. Don't think that is going to happen based on what I am hearing and seeing.

I think it would be great to offer a guaranteed trade-in value for those wanting to make a trade on either a 2014 or 2015. An offer like this could go a long way in mending fences in customer relations.

When I bought my last car, I had a guaranteed trade in value coupon. After negotiations (which I really enjoy), they gave me their bottom price--which was okay--but then I flipped them the coupon and got another $1500 off our "bottom line deal." Their trade was book, but a bit low-ball for my particular car. I was breaking in a new salesman that day, and we left him kind of flabbergasted.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-16-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So would it not be a reasonable investment to buy a 2013 RT? My Dealer (Honda House) has a yellow 2013 RT-S with 850 miles for $16,500.

Spyder Garage

So you know I am personally aware of 2 fires on 2013 RT's that did not cause the bike to burn up but there was a flame/fire and it was put out within seconds. One person suffered light burns to one hand and the other had no injuries. Both of these happened when the user removed the gas cap to add fuel.
    Pretty sure these were never reported to BRP or NHTSA.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So would it not be a reasonable investment to buy a 2013 RT? My Dealer (Honda House) has a yellow 2013 RT-S with 850 miles for $16,500.
    If it was me I would not buy the 13 but would instead look for a good deal on a leftover or used 2014. If you can come up with approx. $4,000 more you could get a 14.

I have had both and the 14 is a far superior machine.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
    There does exist a fire problem with some 2013 RT models. My 2013 RT Limited SE5 with just 1300 km caught fire and burned, destroying many panels and most of the wiring to such an extent that the local dealer here in the Philippines stated they will replace it with a new unit. I have owned the unit for 6 weeks and only after the fire discovered a recall issued in February this year. All of my riding prior to the fire followed the guidelines set down in the recall notice, i.e., no slow riding in traffic, no riding in high ambient temperatures, not parked indoor in non-vented area, etc. Fortunately, I was accompanying a large group of riders and swift action by members put out the fire before it could spread to other parked bikes.
    Patrick, in October of 2013 there was a recall issued in the US and in Canada for the 13, do you know if your machine had this work done on it? It involved wrapping the master cylinder cover, the parking brake cable and the evap canister?
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622