Thread: Not a compliant

Spyder Garage

Default Not a compliant

We tend to get a few posts here of the bold lettering and/or CAPITALS type, normally threatening legal action, trial by ordeal, wraith of chosen deity etc. I thought I'd offer something different.

Four weeks ago I did an endurance event that I've written about in another post. Last weekend I finally got around to servicing the Spyder - the intervening weekends have been spent decorating, my 'payment' for doing the endurance event (and so marital bliss is maintained:-)).

Now my Spyder suffered quite a lot of abuse on that trip. On one day alone the engine was running 16 hours, the only time it got switched off was when I stopped for petrol. The entire time it was driven hard around twisting roads. Constantly going up and down through the gears, breaking hard and dancing with nanny in the corners.

The whole time the Spyder was impeccably behaved and when I gave it a full check over last weekend everything was fine as well. Even when I changed the oil what came out was not far off the colour and consistently of what had gone in.

Early on in the event I'd hit tar and gravel and had damaged my belt, yet checking the manual I found the damage came under the category of 'monitor'. So I don't even have to worry about replacing that yet. I'd also hit in a possum while going full kilter around a corner with no ill affects - well not to the Spyder, the possum needless to say wasn't so lucky. (Possum: about the size of a tom cat but shorter legs, known as natures speed-bumps)

The Spyder gave me the power to get past anything quickly and safely, even the tourists from a certain country who seem to want to drive their campervans in convoy leaving no space between for people to pull in. It also got me out of trouble when I met escaped livestock and the cattle truck driver who forget what side of the road they were supposed to be on. Any of these events could have had a different outcome if I'd been on 2 wheels, and those who read my other post will know that I met three reminders of that as well.

At the end of the event I still felt relatively fresh and could happily have continued riding.

So thanks BRP for building my Spyder, I think you did a great job.

PS Just for the record I do think BRP made mistakes with the 2013's though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the Good News today...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Great to hear about your Adventure. I am still a virgin Sypder rangler. Only 448 miles. This after 57 years on two wheels. Quite a change in deed.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good to hear a positive post, we love our 2012 RT. Thanks BRP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Great review...

must have been an awesome ryde. You do know how to enjoy one great machine (including most of the 13's). Glad you were on it for those moments that interrupted the smooth sailing... thanks...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I had three similar days last October at the Ohio Spyder Rally . . . riding one of those awful 2013's . . . and am leaving for a 5000 mile round trip in less than a month . . . mistakes they made on the 2013 are fixable . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I had three similar days last October at the Ohio Spyder Rally . . . riding one of those awful 2013's . . . and am leaving for a 5000 mile round trip in less than a month . . . mistakes they made on the 2013 are fixable . . .

After 37 years of 2 wheels I made the change to the spyder having only logged 7,300 miles thus far I don't qualfy for the iron butt title as we only average 350 or so a day, however my riding experience has went up 1000% since I got my new 2014. For all the newbies, it is a bit of a learning curve coming from a 2 wheeler but I wouldn't go back, we love our spyder!
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Great word of gratitude! Good to hear about reliability for us long distance over the road type ryders
    Spyder Junkies, Mike &Lenise

Spyder Garage

The will for sure stand up to 16 hour days or more if you have to put them through the paces. My GS and RS were put through similar paces on a regular basis. Also did one long tour with my 2010 RT, no issues either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Jos! I expect your missus was secretly pleased to have you out of her way for a while!
    .....and she can, of course, get you to do a few Chores around the house now she 'let '
    you go on the trip!! Bob Denman has a similar problem only that's of his own making!

Spyder Garage

Default Not a compliant

Thought the Armadillo was the official speed bump? Great story and experience, glad you shared.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    With my comment I was trying to steer clear of the 2013 debate as I didn't want to light the blue touch paper on that one again:-) However I do agree with you on this that those mistakes are fixable.

I suspect two factors may have been at play that year - Legislative bodies and BRP trying to give us more from the existing designs because the 3 cylinder engine was still a year away and the launch of the ST would not be enough to keep us happy. For example I can think of no other reason for BRP to change the combined exhaust/cat on the RS to separate units other than some legislative body being unhappy with the original design. Perhaps it wasn't environmentally friendly enough or maybe they noticed that if someone fitted an aftermarket can they got rid of the cat as well.

Would I consider buying an 2013 RS after all the fuss? Yes I would, for a start the frontend setup is better than my 2011. I'd just fit the 2014 vent body kit and a cat bypass.

My hope now is BRP deliver on their promises for the 2013 riders and in 12 months time mentioning that year will mean nothing other than "oh yes there were some issues but they sorted those".