Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Spyder RT Generations?

I am thinking about buying a used Spyder. I am considering a used 2013 RT limited. How far back does the current generation of Spyders go? Is there any major differences between the 2013 vs 2014 vs 2015 models?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

In one word - Don't.

The 2013 was the conversion year, with a host of issues. Look at any of the 2010/2011/2012s - especially the 2012s, if you are looking at the older 990 generation RT.

All of those are good choices.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    In one word - Don't.

The 2013 was the conversion year, with a host of issues. Look at any of the 2010/2011/2012s - especially the 2012s, if you are looking at the older 990 generation RT.

All of those are good choices.
    Was 2014 any better of a year?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't have a 2013, but from what I've heard here, I'd go for either a '12 or '14 or '15. The '14s & '15s are the newest version with the larger engines, 6-speed trannies. Though a lot of '13 owners are perfectly fine with their machines, if you consider one, get it checked out thoroughly at a dealer.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iGot2Fly View Post
    I am thinking about buying a used Spyder. I am considering a used 2013 RT limited. How far back does the current generation of Spyders go? Is there any major differences between the 2013 vs 2014 vs 2015 models?

Thanks!
    Of all the years the RT has been made, 2013 is the one that stands out with the most issues. Based on issues, that is the one year I would not recommend.

RT came into the world in 2010. I had a 2010 RT-S (Premier Edition). Put 36,500 trouble free miles on that one.

In 2012 I purchased a new 2011 RT. There were throttle body issues that were fixed under warranty. Now, at 16,500 miles it is still a trouble free machine. Beginning season number 4 with that one.

2012 RT was/is considered the best of the 998 Rotax versions. Would not hesitate recommending that year.

2013 RT had heat issues and some fires. Because of the reputation, they are devalued. A buyer's market if you want to take the chance.

2014 RT the year of the 1330 triple engine. Has a very good reputation. I am one of many very pleased owners of a 2014.

2015 no major changes except for colors.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-19-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had 2010 RT that seemed to have a significant repair issue every 3,000 miles (from 16K-32K on the odometer, which is when I owned it). I loved it, but I never quite trusted it.

I have a 2014 RT with 14K miles that had one oil leak, and no other issues. Bad parts happen, and I am very happy with 2014. It essentially the same Spyder, but just a faster, better version of it. This is the 2.0 version of the RT, at least on the inside. The 2015's seem to be unchanged from the 2014's, which says a lot.

The 2013's, as everybody has said, have significant issues. There is a recall and there will be some kind of fix made the units that nobody yet knows the value of. I would keep your eyes open here and see what transpires in May. If people speak positively about the fix you may be able to get a great deal because of the difficult reputation and get a great value, but I wouldn't gamble on that until there is more to know.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default All good....

great advise but start with your budget. If you can swing for the newer ones (14/15's) that would be the way to go. Your chances of having more time on your warranty will give you peace of mind. If you do your own work then you don't have to worry. Hope your out there soon...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A good question was asked, do you have a budget you are working with?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

My 2011 RTS was built late in 2011 and sold to the first owner Jan 2012.
    My experience is like people say about the 2012. I have not had a single issue!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

If you are not in a hurry, wait to see what BRP does to the 2013 RT in the upcoming recall . . . the recall has been announced, but they haven't told us what changes they will be making. As mentioned, above, the value of the 2013 RT took a hit because of heat related issues . . . but if BRP comes up with a good fix, it might be a real bargain to get one.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just bought my first CanAm are there any riding events where drivers get together and ride in my area ,or Indiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I agree with Hayfield's comment in principle; however, IMO no matter how good the BRP fix(es) may be for the problems on the 2013 RTs that model year will have a "fire bomb" stigma associated with it that may affect subsequent resale value. It's kind of like the GM ignition key issue. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kurvinroach View Post
    Just bought my first CanAm are there any riding events where drivers get together and ride in my area ,or Indiana

There is a forum Area for each State...

...And there's always SpyderFest!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

&
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    If you are not in a hurry, wait to see what BRP does to the 2013 RT in the upcoming recall . . . the recall has been announced, but they haven't told us what changes they will be making. As mentioned, above, the value of the 2013 RT took a hit because of heat related issues . . . but if BRP comes up with a good fix, it might be a real bargain to get one.

Agreed, and there are significant upgrades in the 13 over the 12. Now if BRP's fixes actually do.....I hope so. At this point, other than the fuel smell that remains, I really like my 13.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I'd go with the 2014 for a couple of reasons.
    First, it's the latest generation, so it will have a higher longevity factor. The 998 (2010 through 2013) is already a discontinued model.
    Second, as essentially the third generation (2013 was sort of a hybrid) BRP has had more time to work out all the bugs.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and I'm sure somebody on this forum will certainly let me know about it.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I'd go with the 2014 for a couple of reasons.
    First, it's the latest generation, so it will have a higher longevity factor. The 998 (2010 through 2013) is already a discontinued model.
    Second, as essentially the third generation (2013 was sort of a hybrid) BRP has had more time to work out all the bugs.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and I'm sure somebody on this forum will certainly let me know about it.

The 998 is still used for the ST and RS and may continue to be their engine, The 998 itself is a solid engine and has not been discontinued.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Had a 2012 RT Limited an now a 2014 RT Limited - both are good

I agree with the comments from the earlier posts.

I had a 2012 RT Limited and it provided a lot of fun with ZERO issues - we drove it approx. 7,700 miles prior to trading it in on our 2014 RT Limited.

The 2014 RT Limited is an awesome machine. However, for the money, you may want to start with a 2012 RT as that was a solid machine and later on pick-up a 2014 or later model with the 1330 engine.

If you have the money and desire, go for the 2014 RT, if you are on a tighter budget, I would think the 2012 RT would serve you well! IMHO.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your Spyder when you get it!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I had a 2012RTS-SE5 no problems put on 8,399 happy miles, then traded up to a 2014RTS-SE6, new engine( 1330 Ace engine,
    6 speed transmission,
    Eco mode smart assist,
    1200-W alternator,
    higher torque,
    smoother ride,( thanks to the NEW hydraulic clutch activation with electronic control) ,
    low maintance,
    less fill ups,
    oil change at every 9,300 miles,
    radiators moved in front of the A-arms, cooling capacity has doubled, Reverse fan mode blowing hot air away from the rider) plus many more features.

Don't get a 2013!

If you can swing it get a 2014, or 2015 these are the newer models or get a 2012.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info I just bought a RT Limited 2015 love it. The wife would like to have one like the newer 2014 & 2015 engine , not sure what to look for for her F 3 two low for visablity & safety it's her first bike ???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Getting a first bike for your Better-Half...
    Is she willing to ride with you for a while, and think about the impending purchase?
    As a new rider; you've got to try and make sure that she's 127% comfortable with the bike...
    The F-3 will create a nice-sized presence on the road; just make sure that she's dressed in riding gear that's nice and bright...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Look at the ST "LTD" for her - storage, has a trailer hitch, and most of the nice amenities, at a lower price point.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks dragon rider

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I agree with the comments from the earlier posts.

I had a 2012 RT Limited and it provided a lot of fun with ZERO issues - we drove it approx. 7,700 miles prior to trading it in on our 2014 RT Limited.

The 2014 RT Limited is an awesome machine. However, for the money, you may want to start with a 2012 RT as that was a solid machine and later on pick-up a 2014 or later model with the 1330 engine.

If you have the money and desire, go for the 2014 RT, if you are on a tighter budget, I would think the 2012 RT would serve you well! IMHO.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your Spyder when you get it!
    To add to that I owned a 2010 RT S SE5. I drove it for 22,370 miles . The only issues I had were at 18,642 miles the c- clip on the clutch pack came off and the washers from the clutch pack got chewed up and ended up in the oil tank. Lucky I had BRP extended warranty that covered it. The other issue some are having including me is that approx every 20,000 miles the tiny vacuum lines need replacing as they are located at the front of the 998 engine and get exposed to a lot of heat and will dry out and crack. The shifting on the SE5 transmission is around 5000 rpm on the new SE6 transmission the shift points are at around 2200 rpm and the new tranny is not as fussy as the old one on shifting rpms and you will not burn the clutch out on the new tranny from shifting a low rpm's.

Happy Shopping and have fun riding