Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why isnt' the Spyder more popular!

Interesting article on the Ride-Apart website.

https://rideapart.com/articles/ask-r...spyder-popular

Is it selfish of me not to want the Spyder to be more popular....I like being one of the few people in my town to have one!

2013 ST-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not selfish at all...

...As long as BRP sells enough of them to justify the product...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Quietly popular...

There are more and more out there. As they become more useful in organizational groups (ie police etc) they will get more publicity and visual presence. Your not selfish we all feel the same way. Lets hope sales increase but the hoopla dosen't...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm a little upset with BRP saying it isn't a motorcycle. To me it is in every way. You sit on it ;not in it. It has handlebars; not a wheel and it is a motorized trike. The control of the transmission and the safety features don't make it not a motorcycle, just a smart one. BRP sometimes shoots itself in the foot when it comes to marketing and I think this is one of those times.
    Spyder Junkies, Mike &Lenise

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I respecfully disagree...
    Licensing notwithstanding; it rides, handles and feels nothing like a motorcycle...
    But you can call it whatever you want; mine gets called, "FUN"!

Spyder Garage

Default Why isnt' the Spyder more popular!

So, just to be clear, BRP states that the Spyder is not a motorcycle? That's just not correct. It is as much a motorcycle as a Harley trike, which is certainly considered a motorcycle. A Spyder or any trike/sidecar rig definitely handles completely differently than a two wheeled cycle, but is still a cycle. Just my two cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ArachnidRyder; 03-18-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're intentionally differentiating their product from others on the market...
    This is a Smart move on their part!

Spyder Garage

Call it whatever you want. It works for me. I do think he hit the nail on the head though - not many family folks can afford a $20K road toy. Those that can, are probably more likely to purchase a 4 seat SxS, for the entire family to enjoy. How many 30 somethings do you see on a GW or K16? My son is an avid MC rider, with a good income and two kids - his new bike set him back $7K - $14K for kid's braces saw to that.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Others can call it whatever. I refer to it mostly as my bike. Hard to unlearn that since I have been driving something on two wheels since 1966 or so. Over 40 assorted two wheelers and 5 's, and I don't think I am going to change.

I do like the fact that there are fewer 's out there. It makes me feel cutting edge and just a bit cool.

2014 seemed to be a banner year with the 1330 RT and 2015 will bring a lot more owners into the fold with the F3. Am guessing that the trend will be onward and upward.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArachnidRyder View Post
    So, just to be clear, BRP states that the Spyder is not a motorcycle? That's just not correct. It is as much a motorcycle as a Harley trike, which is certainly considered a motorcycle. A Spyder or any trike/sidecar rig definitely handles completely differently than a two wheeled cycle, but is still a cycle. Just my two cents worth.

Not in NV,a Harley Trike is not a motorcycle but a Spyder is
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do they license and insure the Harley Trikes?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Not in NV,a Harley Trike is not a motorcycle but a Spyder is
    Right. I forgot about the single rear wheel rule in Nevada. Of course, according to BRP, Spyders aren't motorcycles anywhere. [emoji14]

Spyder Garage

Default Advertising?

When was the last time you saw a Spyder commercial on TV? Hear on radio? Read in the local paper? It doesn't appear as though BRP is very active in it's marketing.

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'

Spyder Garage

I'm fine with the Spyder perception. I'm the only person in my city with a RSS. So I'm exclusive...lol

The people who like it, like it and the people that don't like it, don't. I feel like an ambassador for Can-am. People come up and ask me questions everyday that I ride and I tell them the truth.. good and bad. A lot of people say they would love to get one but they are too expensive for them.

So I'm sure if BRP figure out a way to drop the price or come up with a entry level spyder then sales would definitely pick up and more people would stop riding a motorcycle.

This is my first summer without riding on two wheels and it feel awesome not worrying about a clutch or tires hitting oil/ice. Now if I go to a track then it's nothing like a supersport bike. But I haven't been to the track in 3or 4 years.

The only benefit I see with a motorcycle is the lean and space in the garage. I see people on busas and ZX-14s that never get to use the power. The Spyder is far more comfortable and I still do over a 110 mph on a open freeway once in a while to get that adrenaline rush.
    Last edited by Spyda98; 03-18-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LEEB View Post
    When was the last time you saw a Spyder commercial on TV? Hear on radio? Read in the local paper? It doesn't appear as though BRP is very active in it's marketing.
    I actually saw a T.V. ad for them on The Weather Channel this morning...
    It featured the F-3 model...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    I'm a little upset with BRP saying it isn't a motorcycle. To me it is in every way. You sit on it ;not in it. It has handlebars; not a wheel and it is a motorized trike. The control of the transmission and the safety features don't make it not a motorcycle, just a smart one. BRP sometimes shoots itself in the foot when it comes to marketing and I think this is one of those times.
    Im not agreeing or disagreeing with you. But here is how things worked in New Zealand.
    BRP had a huge of amount of Discussions with the NZ Transport Agency to get the Spyder registered as a Car, it took a while
    but they succeeded in doing so. So here the Spyder is a Car, with rego fees less than 50% of a Motorcycle, can be ridden on a Car licence.
    Which means the Spyder is available to a lot more people than if it was classed as a Motorcycle.
    We have a Spyder Riders Club here and at a guess more than 30% only have a Car Licence and can't/wont spend nearly $800 over 18 months to get a full bike licence.
    So with BRP fighting to call it a Car, they have a greater number of people able to purchase and ride a Spyder
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Any celebrity riders we know, or just "plain folks?"

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I saw. Same one the other night. I said " oh look a spyder spot"

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

If they want to sell more of these they need to find a way to let people test ride them who don't know they want one. BRP's marketing is a very traditional approach that misses much of what has changed in the last five years.

County fairs and other large events might be good places to send the BRP truck.

It would also help to put them in rental at prices that make sense as a weekend day of play. The objective would be to let the rentals break even to promote the experience.

I didn't know it at the time, but it was an ATV excursion in the Caribbean that ended up being my ticket into a Spyder. I think most of the new riders right now come from two wheels, where there is a potentially larger market for Ryders coming from four wheels.

I don't think it would make much real difference for a lot of this if they used 2014 and earlier models for rental and at events. There would just need to be more ability to test ride the various models at the dealerships.

What I don't think has much impact, and I may be wrong, is the very occasional billboard. There either needs to be heavily repeated advertising, or an experience so strong (such as a test ride) that the "impression count" no longer matters.

I would also wonder if they are under-using their best sales force, which is us. I would suggest a two fold approach of very proactively cleaning up some of the issues with some people's Spyders and finding a way to compensate us for the referral. What if they provided us referral cards to hand out to prospective buyers, which when used would give something of some value both to the card holder and to us (50% off a jacket, a $50 merchandise credit, a free oil change, a bit of chrome trim, etc.).

BRP, are you listening? We'd like to be of help to you in selling more Spyders, and to do that I would think you'll want to interact with us more.
    Last edited by MRH; 03-18-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typos, as usual.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Two days ago. I forget what channel I was watching at the time. Advertising the F3.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Much of what the writer says about Spyders is true of other high-end motorcycles, too! Price, riders' ages, etc. As to the writer's problems holding on in the curves, and not feeling "one with" the machine . . . he obviously didn't have any clue about how to ride it. (He should have come to SL and read the tips and tricks thread.)

As to "is it a motorcycle or not?" Who cares!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The new F3 has been on TV commercials in Idaho for about 2 weeks now.

Spyder Garage

I looked up a couple of definitions for a motorcycle:

Legal definition of motorcycle - Wikipedia, the free ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_definition_of_motorcycle

Wikipedia

The legal definition of a motorcycle for the purposes of registration, taxation and rider licensing in most countries is a powered two-wheel motor vehicle. Most countries distinguish between mopeds up to 49 cc (scooters do not count as a separate category) and the more powerful, larger, vehicles known as motorcycles.

From Merriam Webster.com
    : a vehicle with two wheels that is powered by a motor and that can carry one or two people

Motorcycle | Define Motorcycle at Dictionary.com

dictionary.reference.com/browse/motorcycle

Dictionary.com

a motor vehicle similar to a bicycle but usually larger and heavier, chiefly for one rider but sometimes having two saddles or an attached sidecar for passengers.

motorcycle - definition of motorcycle by The Free Dictionary

www.thefreedictionary.com/motorcycle

A two-wheeled motor vehicle resembling a heavy bicycle, sometimes having two saddles and a sidecar with a third wheel.

My opinion......I don't care what you call it. I like my Spyder and wouldn't give it up for any reason, other than being physically unable to ride. By then I should be 6' under.

The article was the author's opinion, and just that "his opinion".

What matters is how you feel about your bike and your life. Cost is high...yes....but it's all relative to what you want and what you're willing to pay.
    Life is too damn short........ENJOY IT!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default I always find it interesting . . . .

. . . . to hear what 'regular' people think of the Spyder, and other motorcycle riders too. It is different and certainly does not fit most peoples assumptions about motorcycles as presented by movies, books or TV programs.

Like PrairieSpyder, I thought the writer was on the clueless side as far as riding the Spyder - though he did say he enjoyed it - I got the impression it was more along the lines of "Hey, that last Transformer's movie was pretty entertaining."

BeRight and Dragonrider are on the same page as I am about the main points the writer made. Yes, expensive - especially when you consider all the costs of maintenance, etc.. Hey, the cost of an F3 is pretty much right at what I paid for my 2005 Chevy SSR. When it comes to equivalency, there are many other things that people can do with that money that will make a real long-term difference in their life. Those of us who can afford a Spyder are truly blessed.

As great as the Spyder is ( see my signature for my Spyders ) the point that BeRight made about their performance is true. But, it is also true that it is a different experience - one that still wows me when I am out on the road - and for me, that is what counts.

I love the ride. It is expensive, but I value the riding experience even more than the money.

Tom

ps - for those of you that don't know, the Chevy SSR is a retro-looking two seater truck, that is also a convertible, that is powered by a big Corvette engine. Picture attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

My registration says motorcycle
    My insurance says motorcycle
    I getted inspected under motorcycle

So who am i or anyone else to say different!!