Thread: Shift light

Spyder Garage

Default Shift light

I am pretty good with up & down shifting on the RS-S but I was wondering if anyone installed a shift indicator light on the ?

I remember riding a Honda CBR with one and it was pretty cool. I'm honestly so use to shifting by habit that this is more of a farkle.
    Last edited by Spyda98; 03-18-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Spyda98; 03-18-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shift lights can be pretty useful at the dragstrip...

On the street; there are too many other things that should be focused upon.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Is there a tach wire that can be tapped into? Would like to have a shift light, too.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Atv View Post
    Is there a tach wire that can be tapped into? Would like to have a shift light, too.
    I'm going to say nope. Looking at the wiring diagram for my RT the cluster, which is where the tachometer is, has no direct connection to the ECM other than by way of the Can Bus system. It looks like the tachometer info is generated in the cluster based on communication info from the ECM, in other words it's all computer type communication. What you're thinking of is old fashioned pulse signals fed through a specific wire. Doesn't exist on the Spyder.

In case you're not aware the engine is completely computer controlled. No old fashioned analog controls at all. Even the throttle does not control the engine. It just tells the computer how fast you want the engine to turn and the computer then speeds up or slows down the engine as needed to satisfy your throttle command!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's too bad. One of these days, I should try wiring up to can bus and see if its that difficult to read the messages on the bus...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Atv View Post
    That's too bad. One of these days, I should try wiring up to can bus and see if its that difficult to read the messages on the bus...
    The canbus is quite the international standard. Many years ago I worked on a project for the then to be Airbus - where canbus ran throughout the aircraft - everything was connected even the heating cooling system for passenger food (which I worked on).

You have quite the challenge to tap into canbus without interference and to make sense of it - the messages allow unique user defined content. I would think you would need BRP (most probably proprietary) information.

We have a software controlled motorcycle, which takes the owner out of the loop for many many modifications that were easy to do on motorcycles of the past.

Since owning my Spyder since 2008 I haven't kept up with two wheeler motorcycle technology but I would guess even they now have software content.

I used to do allot of "tinkering" with my cars and trucks in years past - not anymore - to much software content.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Aren't there programmable shift lights, that read engine rpms from a wire that attaches to a sparkplug wire?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

5500 and up on your RSS is where the sweet spot is. I personally don't like shift lights as they can be distracting. Our 2014 RT has the Eco Mode with shift light, and I do not use it.

Become attuned to the "sound" at your favorite spot for shifting, and your problem should be solved without any hassle.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    5500 and up on your RSS is where the sweet spot is. I personally don't like shift lights as they can be distracting. Our 2014 RT has the Eco Mode with shift light, and I do not use it.

Become attuned to the "sound" at your favorite spot for shifting, and your problem should be solved without any hassle.
    This is my way as well - shifting based on engine sound - probably comes from my decades of riding two wheelers regularly.

I try to keep this old brain's attention to just riding: sound of engine and situation awareness: pedestrians, vehicles, road conditions, traffic lights, signs,etc. - very rarely do I glance at console/lights/gauges.

I am so old school - I don't have GPS on Spyder, no listening to music or taking phone calls. I memorize routes, between pit stops - it has a side benefit - good brain exercise

An old saying: Only two types of motorcycle riders - those that have been in a accident and those that are going to be in an accident. I am the first type.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020