Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default $80 Aux Lighting DIY

Not Can Am but fully functional (thanks in part to all the prewiring and relay installed at the factory) and all in for $80 including the factory heat shields. I only started this because when I picked up the bike in January the lights were not available and I was tolld it would be March or later so I was thinking interim solution but will be keeping this setup now. The projector housings currently contain H3 bulbs but are prepped for HID. Used a stainless steel waterproof switch attached to the factory wiring harness and made pigtails to go from the factory plugs to the lights. Need to get some photos but it is tough with just a cell phone camera. They light up better than the high beams.

CJ JAX
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Looks great! Now about the details - which lights, which switch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is awesome - please share parts list and where you bought same.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Default .?

Did you also wire the accent ( normally red ) under the frunk lid lip?

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

congrats on a great job. Looks like it was born that way..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    Did you also wire the accent ( normally red ) under the frunk lid lip?

Tom
    yes. It is only tacked in place in the picture. I want to put white heat shrink over all but the leds to clean it up. Did the same on my RT. the 5050 leds throw a bunch of light

Spyder Garage

I got the lights from iJDMToys 60-071 for $50. I bought the wiring harness but did not use it since everything was already in place. The switch is a 19mm waterproof switch $8 from stargoods_2014 on ebay. I cut two pieces of 1"angle aluminum to mount the light brackets to the bike light mount locations. I would pull the panels and take some pictures but I have been banned from any work on it for a couple of weeks (didn't get it together until 9:30 Friday night with Saturday being the Owners Even in Daytona). We have had it since mid January and only have 600 miles on it between work and the lighting work I was doing. Thankfully we still have the Rt for wind therapy as needed.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    I got the lights from iJDMToys 60-071 for $50. I bought the wiring harness but did not use it since everything was already in place. The switch is a 19mm waterproof switch $8 from stargoods_2014 on ebay. I cut two pieces of 1"angle aluminum to mount the light brackets to the bike light mount locations. I would pull the panels and take some pictures but I have been banned from any work on it for a couple of weeks (didn't get it together until 9:30 Friday night with Saturday being the Owners Even in Daytona). We have had it since mid January and only have 600 miles on it between work and the lighting work I was doing. Thankfully we still have the Rt for wind therapy as needed.

CJ JAX
    Thank you so much for sharing.

Did you order the two inserts/heat shields from BRP to go around the lights???
    Last edited by BeRight; 03-17-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing.

Did you order the two inserts/heat shields from BRP to go around the lights???
    yes. I was looking at the parts diagram to get the price of the plastic plugs in case I didn't like the look and had to replace them. While I was looking I found the heat shields. I was surprised and commented when people were posting that it looked unfinished after the dealer installed the lights. I shared the info and BRP has corrected the kit to include them now. They were $8 each

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default looks good. . . .

yes. It is only tacked in place in the picture. I want to put white heat shrink over all but the leds to clean it up. Did the same on my RT. the 5050 leds throw a bunch of light
    . . . . I am putting red reflective tape on mine, and on the body frame bars too.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default More Info

I received several PM's for more info on the install. I liked the iJDM light because of the option to change the bulb to HID. Others claim you can do it with theirs but I have heard that sometimes there is interference and the HID bulb does not fit.

1. The factory mounting location has three holes where the oem assembly attaches. Two on the bottom and one on the top. My first plan was to use the two bottom holes. I cut a 1' piece of aluminum angle and then using a hole saw cut away material to clear the light housing (photo). I made my mounting holes in the angle a little oversized to give myself some adjustment.

2. I attached the light bracket to the angle and mounted everything to the bike. When I assembly the body panels to check for alignment I found that the light bracket hit the louvered front panel with the heat shield (photo). I trimmed the back of the panel a bit but it did not clear the bracket. I ended up bending one leg of the bracket to clear the louvered panel. I worked but I didn't feel there was enough adjustment/alignment room.

3. I flipped the angle bracket and mounted to the top of the oem mount which you can see in the photo. There is only one mount hole so the choice is to drill another hole or use a flat 3" strip which you attach to the angle and use one of the existing lower holes.

4. The connector to the bulb is a 3 pin setup. I'm guessing it is because outside of the US they use the lights for the low beam and not aux. I had purchased a bunch of 2 pin and 3 pin connectors from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Yiding-Waterpr...Connector+Plug) when I was playing with the RT. I made a pigtail for all 3 wires because at the time I didn't know which I would need. Ended up that the black and the Gy/GN were all I needed.

5. I wanted to use the factory switch but when it priced out at $95 I decided to pass. I try to avoid making changes that I can't undo so rather than cutting off the factory connector for the aux light switch I used positaps which I sealed with a little silicone. I don't remember the wire colors at the moment but the connector is 4 wire in a row and the two outside wires control the signal to the relay.

That's it in a condensed version. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Nice writeup. How about some bracket pix to make things even easier for us? (installed and pre-install if you have them)
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
    Nice writeup. How about some bracket pix to make things even easier for us? (installed and pre-install if you have them)

I'll second that request
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are their part numbers for BRP unwired connectors that are wired to their fog lights - would eliminate posi-taps/cleaner installation?

It would also be great to know what the pin numbers/colors are labeled for fog light connectors already in Spyder - maybe someone has an electrical drawing.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Default WHY-O-WHY

WHY DIDN'T YOU POST THIS 4 WEEKS AGO, BEFORE I PAID THE $400 FOR THE 'OEM' LIGHTS....
    DANG DANG DANG....

VERY NICE JOB... CONGRATZ....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post

Sorry I thought this was attached. It was one of the ones I started with. I thought I would need the 1 1/2 X 1 !/2 angle but ended up cutting away so much I started over with the 1" angle. I would love to take more pictures but it is going to be a few weeks most likely. I promised the wife I would not remove any panels for the next 30 days. using the 1" angle it wasn't necessary to cut away the corner like you see in this picture. One of the previous pictures shows it installed. If you copy it you can probably enlarge it enough to see better.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    WHY DIDN'T YOU POST THIS 4 WEEKS AGO, BEFORE I PAID THE $400 FOR THE 'OEM' LIGHTS....
    DANG DANG DANG....

VERY NICE JOB... CONGRATZ....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Sorry.

Cj JAX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Are their part numbers for BRP unwired connectors that are wired to their fog lights - would eliminate posi-taps/cleaner installation?

It would also be great to know what the pin numbers/colors are labeled for fog light connectors already in Spyder - maybe someone has an electrical drawing.

I purchased the connectors from amazon. See #4 in my earlier post.

This is a screen shot of the wiring for the aux light wiring.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default Installation showing bracket mounting

Here are a couple of shots showing the bracket mounting for the lights. It also shows the 3" strap that I used to make use of the existing mounting holes.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are a couple of shots showing the bracket mounting for the lights. It also shows the 3" strap that I used to make use of the existing mounting holes.

CJ JAX
    Thank you thank you
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

I am going to try to duplicate this install so fingers crossed and thanks for the info. Great DIY.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samir221 View Post
    I am going to try to duplicate this install so fingers crossed and thanks for the info. Great DIY.
    Feel free to give me a shout if you run into any questions.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

I think I will also try and do this like you did if you don't mind. Just got to gather the parts to do it. Looks fairly simple to do. Thanks for the idea. Its cheaper than the Can am fog lights for sure.
    Retired U.S navy Seabee! "CAN DO"
    2015 Spyder F3-s

Spyder Garage

Default Light adjustment

Feel free to give me a shout if you run into any questions.

CJ JAX
    Thanks for sharing your install. I recently purchased a 2015 F3S and would like to have the fog lights. I do have one question, I see how the mount on the side of the light housing would allow you to adjust up and down but did you use any type of side to side adjustment? This may not be an issue, mostly you want to keep the beam out of the on coming drivers eyes. I am aware that the three point mount would usually have a screw adjustment as on the OEM.
    Thanks again, new to the list.

Mike Hilton, Ruston, LA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fmhilton View Post
    Thanks for sharing your install. I recently purchased a 2015 F3S and would like to have the fog lights. I do have one question, I see how the mount on the side of the light housing would allow you to adjust up and down but did you use any type of side to side adjustment? This may not be an issue, mostly you want to keep the beam out of the on coming drivers eyes. I am aware that the three point mount would usually have a screw adjustment as on the OEM.
    Thanks again, new to the list.

Mike Hilton, Ruston, LA
    Mike,
    I drilled the holes in the mount plate oversize and use the washers to keep the screws from going through the hole. This provided enough play to make any left/right adjustment.

CJ JAX