Spyder Garage

Default Helibars installed. Frunk and Seat will not open now HELP!

I need some help. I just installed the Helibars on my 2008 GS Spyder Roadster. They are great.
    The only thing now is that I can not open my FRUNK and my Seat to get at my gas will not open.
    When I take the cover off the ignition to get at the cable, I pulled it out of its housing, pulled on the cable and the frunk
    and seat both opened.
    How do you adjust the cable on the frunk and seat so they will open.

Has anyone else had this problem when they installed the Helibars Roadster Handlebar relocation adapter.
    There was no indication that the cables had to be changed or adjusted.

I should also add that I put on the Utopia drivers backrest. Nice and comfy.

ANY ideas or suggestions. PLEASE HELP!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

looking like you have something going on with the switch. I know you are pushing the key in and turning so possibly the catch is not engaging. Cables don't have adjustments just simple pull cables. If your pushing the key in and turning it and it does not pull the cable that is where the problem lies..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just to let everyone know, I have solved the problem with the frunk and seat not opening after installing the helibars.
    A mechanic friend of mine was over today, and his suggestion worked.

We pulled the cable on the frunk (inner cable) out as far as it would go. Then wrapped electric tape around the cable, the width of the tape. Now the frunk opens without a problem. He also suggested wrapping and crimping a piece of tin around the cable to pull it out more and keep it there.

We did the same thing with the seat opener.

They both open as they are supposed to now.

Both are working fine now. It would be nice if Helibars would let us know about problems like this. They must have had the same problems as I did and everyone else who had these and came up with a solution long ago.

I would like to thank those who helped me out with this. Greatly appreciated.

Remember folks, keep the sunny side up, and the shady side down. Ride on.

Spyder Garage

Glad you solved the problem, but something doesn't sound right. I installed the bars on our 08 several years ago and had no issue. Maybe a design change?
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
    Glad you solved the problem, but something doesn't sound right. I installed the bars on our 08 several years ago and had no issue. Maybe a design change?
    I agree, something's wrong in there.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by speedbuggy View Post
    Just to let everyone know, I have solved the problem with the frunk and seat not opening after installing the helibars.
    A mechanic friend of mine was over today, and his suggestion worked.

We pulled the cable on the frunk (inner cable) out as far as it would go. Then wrapped electric tape around the cable, the width of the tape. Now the frunk opens without a problem. He also suggested wrapping and crimping a piece of tin around the cable to pull it out more and keep it there.

We did the same thing with the seat opener.

They both open as they are supposed to now.

Both are working fine now. It would be nice if Helibars would let us know about problems like this. They must have had the same problems as I did and everyone else who had these and came up with a solution long ago.

I would like to thank those who helped me out with this. Greatly appreciated.

Remember folks, keep the sunny side up, and the shady side down. Ride on.
    I had HeliBars fitted to my 2010 RS-S and the guy who did the fitting didn't report any difficulty.
    If you've had to effectively change the length of the outer part of the two Bowden cables then something is
    not right.....