Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP!!!

OK last summer at the Owners event I had the guys at the BRP tent look at me 2012 RS-S SE5 for an overheating problem they told me they could not find anything. Rode the rest of the weekend and had no problems in fact I rode the rest of the summer. I even rode the BIG Three Pikes Peak, MT Evans and Trail Ridge Road all in one day no problems. Sunday my wife and I took a short ride for Lunch 50 miles then back dropped My wife off went over to get gas as soon as I turned the Spyder off it spit about a pint of coolant on the drive and when I got home it did it again, had a 60 mile ride on Monday and it did it again. Sorry for the long winded explanation. The long and short is this a bad thermostat if so where is it and how hard is it to change.... I have riden 17 times this year. jtpollock

Spyder Garage

You did not mention if the display showed a overheating condition? If it did not I will assume it is not overheating. If coolant is coming out of the vent tube. Then the first thing I would check is that the cap is in the second detent position.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

when he said second detent position he was saying to be sure that the cap is on tightly, it will go on and click once and then click a second time and that is when it is tight. If that is not the problem, i would suggest that you let your dealer check it, i can't help with the thermostat because that is beyond my pay grade.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    when he said second detent position he was saying to be sure that the cap is on tightly, it will go on and click once and then click a second time and that is when it is tight. If that is not the problem, i would suggest that you let your dealer check it, i can't help with the thermostat because that is beyond my pay grade.

Cruzr Joe
    They pay you??!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    They pay you??!!

Yes they pay me, weakly (Not weekly)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help

Thanks! the cap was put on by the tech from BRP so i think it was put on correctly but these days you never know as far as the dash i was reading only 5 bars on most hot days it runs as high as 7 so no real indication of overheating. I found from the dealer the thermostat housing and thermostat are the same thing and around 70 bucks if I can find it I can change it.

Spyder Garage

Default Three...!!

There are three main leak points, no make that four...

1. Radiator cap not on properly

2. Radiator hose clamp not tight (there is only one adjustable clamp on these machines and they put it on the radiator.)

3. Resevoir tank cracked

4. Water pump seal

The most common are the first two. You might also check that it is not overfilled. Mine runs at five bars in the heat or traffic...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help

[QUOTE=Chupaca;948203]There are three main leak points, no make that four...

1. Radiator cap not on properly

2. Radiator hose clamp not tight (there is only one adjustable clamp on these machines and they put it on the radiator.)

3. Resevoir tank cracked

4. Water pump seal

The most common are the first two. You might also check that it is not overfilled. Mine runs at five bars in the heat or traffic...

[ This is not a leak its a full blown tank over flow no noticable steam but alot of antifreeze. Thanks for the input jtpollock ]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To answer your question, the thermostat is on the right side. Right next to your right foot directly behind the radiator/fan. Its a black plastic "top" shaped assembly with 3 radiator hoses attached to it. About the size of a small fist.
    You will need to pull all the body panels on the right including the lower black panel by the foot peg.
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 03-17-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The boys pretty will covered it above. They changed the water pump seal on mine the first year under warranty, but it was mostly drips on the garage floor not as much as you are seeing. #1 or #2 seem more likely the cause. Hope you get it figured out and keep us posted.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP

Thanks to all one more Question. Do I have to use the BRP antifreeze or will any antifreeze for Aluminum Block work? Kind of sad there arn't more people around home to get info from jtpollock.

Spyder Garage

Any antifreeze should work as long as it is safe for aluminum engines.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its green ethylene glycol. Just make sure whatever you choose is compatible. No dexcool.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your swapping the stat leave your radiator tank cap tight. This will minimize how much comes out during disassembly. Put a small clean bucket under where your working to catch your spills and reuse. When I did mine I didn't need any additional other than what my bucket caught. Good luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help

Well it took longer to take off all the body panels as it did to take the thermostat housing off antifreeze everywhere my catch pan cough part but most went on the floor when it hit the plastic part under the radiator. Now just waiting for the parts to come in hope there not on one of those ships sitting in the harbor waiting to unload…
    part cant get here soon enough close to 70° today and I'm driving the car .jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help

My parts came in late Yesterday got home fixed dinner and went out to the garage to put the thermostat in. Got it in less than 15 min roll out to add new anti-freeze what a poor location for something that should be serviced as I was pouring the anti-freeze in it was going out the overflow. The tank is now full Started the Spyder let it run add a little more anti-freeze put the cap on first detent then pushed down and twisted and got the second detent and ran out of sunlight have to finish tomorrow after work putting all the plastic back on. I want to ride PMS is killing me "You know PMS Parked Motorcycle Syndrome" Well thanks to all for your input wnen I started looking for answers to this problem....Sunny Days
    ...jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP!!!

O.K.. though all was going fine. Got my new rear tire on and balanced.
    I did an oil change and Plugs 45,000 miles, my mechanic checked the fan
    and the thermostat replacement did not find any problems. Took my spyder
    home and put all the plastic back on one last check let it run for 30 minutes
    no problems 3 bars on the temp gauge. We went for a short 70 mile ride 3 bars
    all the way the last 4 miles rise 300 feet nice little climb got home 4 bars ran
    over to the gas station got high temp warning pegged on the temp gauge los anit-freeze.
    I need to figure out what is wrong before I brake something this has been going on for almost a month….

jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that this doesn't directly address the problem...

But I used to run Engine Ice in my Yamaha Grizzly ATV...
    Low speed running with a mud-clogged radiator is a good test of a cooling system!

The bike ran about 10 degrees cooler with it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I know that this doesn't directly address the problem...

But I used to run Engine Ice in my Yamaha Grizzly ATV...
    Low speed running with a mud-clogged radiator is a good test of a cooling system!

The bike ran about 10 degrees cooler with it...

Ya Bob I was running purple ice in Durango when this hole problem started.

today I am just running anit-freeze... starting to run out of hope so many
    things that have been a problem for 3 years of ownership... thanks jtpollock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd say that, "Great minds think alike", but I wouldn't want to insult you like that!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'd say that, "Great minds think alike", but I wouldn't want to insult you like that!

Well here to hope maybe someone will come up with somthing we ahve not thought of... jtpollock
    OH ya have a very fine day!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To Hope...

Spyder Garage

Is it possible for a radiator cap to have an intermittent problem; like maybe with the plunger? I might just change it for the heck of it. They aren't that expensive, are they?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Is it possible for a radiator cap to have an intermittent problem; like maybe with the plunger? I might just change it for the heck of it. They aren't that expensive, are they?

Thanks just one mot thing to add to me list.. I have sent a request for help and am still holding out hope. I realy don't want to take it to the dealer and pay there $150 plus shop rate to have them tell me the same thing I was told by BRP at the owners event in Durango that nothing is wrong. jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So was your overheat when you were stressing it more with the 300ft climb?
    Possible partially clogged radiator? Efficient enough to cool most of the time, but not flowing/cooling well when the system is stressed????