Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front tires for the 2014 RT

Does anyone know if the Kumho Solus KH16 175/55-15 will work on the front of the 2014 RT Spyder? I am putting a new Kumho 225/50-15 on the rear. I realize that the manual calls for a 165/55-15 for the front but I can't find a Kumho that size. Will the 10mm wider tire on the front cause a problem?

Spyder Garage

If you do a search for "Kumho front tires" you will get all kinds of threads discussing this and you can take you pick
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Solus does come in a size that's just a little bit narrower, but maintains the same overall height by having a bit taller sidewall...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob is correct here. I am running the Kumho Solus KH 16s in the 155/60-15 size on my 2013 ST-S. It is within 1% in diameter and only 10mm narrower, which amounts to about 3/8". The difference from the cheap junk stock kendas was amazing and immediate, in all conditions. So far it isn't cupping like the stock tires did. I honestly have not found any negative. I suppose since the Solus is a stronger tire there might be a small difference in chatter-bump ride quality and compliance, but I have not noticed it as I already have the Fox shocks and one of Ron's sway bars in there to stabilize the front end.

I would love to hear if anyone has in fact installed the 175s. It looked really tight to go 10mm wider thus we opted for the 155s. I will not hesitate to use this tire again. One thing is for sure, I will never install a kenda tire on a Spyder ever again, front or rear. Still running Toyo Proxes 4 in the rear on both of my Spyders.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's some of the Math...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default happy at last

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    Bob is correct here. I am running the Kumho Solus KH 16s in the 155/60-15 size on my 2013 ST-S. It is within 1% in diameter and only 10mm narrower, which amounts to about 3/8". The difference from the cheap junk stock kendas was amazing and immediate, in all conditions. So far it isn't cupping like the stock tires did. I honestly have not found any negative. I suppose since the Solus is a stronger tire there might be a small difference in chatter-bump ride quality and compliance, but I have not noticed it as I already have the Fox shocks and one of Ron's sway bars in there to stabilize the front end.

I would love to hear if anyone has in fact installed the 175s. It looked really tight to go 10mm wider thus we opted for the 155s. I will not hesitate to use this tire again. One thing is for sure, I will never install a kenda tire on a Spyder ever again, front or rear. Still running Toyo Proxes 4 in the rear on both of my Spyders.

I installed 2 Kumho 155/60R15 tires on the front of my 2014 Spyder today and what a difference. No more pulling to the Right. It also seems much easer to steer. Thank goodness for the internet, the dealers were sure no help. I put 20 PSI in the two front tires. Is this any different from what you are using?
    Last edited by Richard Brown; 03-18-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default YES

i would say YES....
    I have the
    Kumho Solus KH16 175/65-14's on the front of my '09 RS and they are absolutely the ballz....

you may need to use 'wedges' like on the last picture, but i have clearance without any issues...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default air pressure

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i would say YES....
    I have the
    Kumho Solus KH16 175/65-14's on the front of my '09 RS and they are absolutely the ballz....

you may need to use 'wedges' like on the last picture, but i have clearance without any issues...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    What air pressure are you using?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Richard,
    What Dan runs up front on his '09 may not allow for a fair comparison when it comes to tire pressures.
    The 14" tired-bikes could run lower pressures due to the taller sidewalls.
    Since you've bumped up to a 60 series tire; you MIGHT be able to get away with running a pound or two less.
    But starting at 20 psi sounds like a good plan!

Spyder Garage

Default DO NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brown View Post
    What air pressure are you using?
    DO NOT go by what others use for 'psi'...
    it all depends on how you ride...
    i ride 1 UP all the time... never a 2nd person... never a heavy load...
    if your ride varies from 1 to 2 ppl, from light to heavy, adjust as needed... more weight = more psi...
    i constantly watch my tire wear, and they seldom varies in how they wear...
    it takes time and effort to know just how much 'psi' you should use, so study your vehicle and makes notes...
    however: 22 -24 psi in frt, 18 - 22 psi in rr...
    enjoy...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's largely a matter of personal preference...

Hey Dan!
    Is that new F-3 still "scratching all the right itches"?

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brown View Post
    I installed 2 Kumho 155/60R15 tires on the front of my 2014 Spyder today and what a difference. No more pulling to the Right. It also seems much easer to steer. Thank goodness for the internet, the dealers were sure no help. I put 20 PSI in the two front tires. Is this any different from what you are using?

That is too bad that your dealer was no help. Sounds like you had a bad tire, as many others have had, and it should have been replaced under warranty. I would bet that if you had swapped the wheels from one side to the other and gone for a test ride your Spyder would have pulled to the left.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tried two sets

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That is too bad that your dealer was no help. Sounds like you had a bad tire, as many others have had, and it should have been replaced under warranty. I would bet that if you had swapped the wheels from one side to the other and gone for a test ride your Spyder would have pulled to the left.
    Yes I did the test and swapped from one side to the other and yes it did pull to the left. The dealer replaced the tires with more stock tires. It went straight for a few hundred miles and then started pulling to the right again. I decided "enough" and put Kumho tires on the bike. The bike feels better than it ever did. Now lets hope it continues that way. We are almost always 2 up but neither one of us is very big. I am starting out with 21psi in the front and I will be watching the tire wear very carefully. I want to thank all of you for the great advise.