Spyder Garage

Talking Perspective Spyder RS-S owner

Hello all!
    This post will be long, but for those of you that like long stories here ya go!
    First off, I'm 35, total powersports junkie, married to woman who loves to passenger, and strangely, gets very bored going slow. I owned and rode a sportbike before owning a car. I am one of those folks that is has never struggled to drive or ride any machine. I won't get on a bike again, as I tired of the constant, silly risks it involves where I reside. (My previously undisciplined / wild ways and the 4 YEAR license suspension also tells me I shouldn't!). Having travelled all over North america, I can safely say where I live has the WORST drivers. The roads are completely trashed, with potholes you could hide a microwave in, gravel covered roads (from winter sanding), that never get properly cleaned, and various other things that conspire against even a careful rider.i currently snowmobile in the winter, ATV during the summer, and hunt in the fall. Sledding, I spend a lot of time riding hard, and maybe 20% of the time 2up. ATV'ing, DW comes about 75% of the time. So that's me / us.

A low snow winter got me reading about the Spyder, and DW was pretty enthused, given her love for riding. I started reading everything I could, all the reviews, forums, blogs, etc. I find it a little disapointing how so many say the Spyder is for the infirm, disabled or the elderly. Though it may offer a platform for that, I think it is more like a snowmobile for the road! I read with slight dismay they lack of acceptance and understanding of the machine.

Anyhow, I shopped the used market for the last month, only to find used values very high for 2008 machines. Obscenely high resale values are common around here, I think driven by extremely cheap consumers. Anyhow, the local Spyder dealer has a couple of "new" 2011 RSS models for $7K off list, full warranty. So $11K for used 2008 or $14k new. I put a deposit down on the new one.

DW and I will be renting an RT SM5 for 4 days at the end of March, in California. I can see myself wanting to buy one, hence the (refundable) deposit. We bought full riding suits (with CE Armor), new helmets, gloves and boots. I mentioned to my wife how stupid I would feel if we had an off, and got hurt due to cheapness!

So the plan is to pick up the RSS when we get back from our ride in Cali. I think an HMF slip on exhaust will be done immediately, as I like the sound, and I clearly remember numerous times as a sportbike rider, the crack of the exhaust woke up some moron who wasn't paying attention. I foresee a Corbin saddle as well, and likely some saddle bags. And a cross country trip from manitoba to Key West this summer! (The wife and I are hard core road-trippers!)

One thing that concerns me is the stories I hear of the overly aggressive stability control. I suppose it is what it is, but the option drastically raising the threshold would be nice. Sometimes one likes to shut off the nanny, especially myself. It's highly unlikely that a Spyder would be any more difficult to handle than a snowmobile at full boogie. They high side, low side, buck, plow, and generally can be a handful of ridden past their limits, and driver skill is essential. I don't buy all the chicken little theories I hear for the spyder'so non defeatable system, other than the obvious legal reasons, coupled wih the unknown skill level of the intended rider. But I digress.

My wish there was more enthusiasm from the "younger" generation for the Spyder, but I will enjoy the more seasoned perspective of many of the great folks on this great site as well.

So there is my story, and hopefully it wasn't too boring. I'll post some more as my wife (DW) and I embark on this next adventure of ours!

Spyder Garage

Default Nice intro...welcome and welcome...

to the roadster world and this site. Where in CA will you be ryding..?? We are in San Diego if your out and about let us know. The nanny is a complex/multi complex computer system. Has saved my butt in more than one occasion but I have learned a different style of ryding to get around the old bitty. Never sledded so can't compare but do find it quite different from cars, bikes and atv's. Your rental will give you a better idea though the RT is also a different ryde from the RS, RSS, ST and F3. Love our RS and the RSS is set up for the more aggresive ryder. Will wait for your review..enjoy the trip...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Never had an issue with the "nanny" functions. We sled and feel the similarities (even if only in our heads). Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

!!
    I just had a little look at your roads there courtesy of Google Earth...you're right!
    Total crap!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 RS-S and had a blast running it hard.I never had a nanny issue in the 3 years I owned it.It never stopped me from doing what I wanted to do or keep me from having fun on the machine.It was not til November 2014 that I finally felt the nanny kick in on my 2014 RT-S to really know what the nanny felt like kicking in and what it does.So do not let the nanny issue stop you.You will have a blast riding a RS-S My old 2010 RS-S ride below
    Attached Images Attached Images

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

After reading your intro, there are 2 things I would do before an HMF (Great Choice) Backrest for your passenger, and a Baja Ron Swaybar. Then as you ride more you will taylor it to suit your style. I had a 2011 RSS and my partner still has one, you are going to have a ball, I still take hers out for a spin now and again, but not to far as I have dodgy knees and riding position gets a bit annoying sometimes.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

on your choice of RSS. I am a conservative rider (some would say fuddy duddy), so I will leave the performance suggestions to those in the know.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

..And I make the previous poster look like a motorcycle daredevil on steroids and Red Bull...
    But... anyway!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-17-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Funny, I have been perusing this forum for a couple months now and finally pulled the trigger on a new 2014 RSS 2 weeks ago. In all that time though, I have not felt compelled to register for this forum… until now.

I saw a lot of similarities to your story, in my own. At 44, I too am below the primary riding demographic for the Can Am Spyder. I also do not suffer from any handicap, which would prevent me from riding on 2 wheels. Yet I find it very odd the stigma with which some view these machines.
    Now, I have ridden motorcycles my entire life. Then 4 months ago, a young, inexperienced driver decided to merge right into me on the freeway. No time to react, if the driver had just done a quick head check as she was supposed to do, all would have been avoided.

In San Diego it is a daily occurrence to drive by a motorcycle accident. Putting 2 and 2 together, I figure perhaps riding a motorcycle here wasn’t the safest idea. My brand new motorcycle sat there for several months collecting dust. I lost interest in riding. Then my wife began expressing an interest in wanting to ride with me. She had done her research and nudged me in the direction of the Spyder. We have been having a blast together ever since. Well, we have been having a blast together since the day we met, but now we do it on 2 wheels. Wait, that didn’t come out right. Well you catch my drift.

So, if you are coming from countless summers and winters riding quads, Seadoos and snow mobiles the Can Am will be a completely natural and seamless transition. If, on the other hand, you have only ridden bicycles or motorcycles it is a safe bet you will dislike the Can Am. The traction control is a bit of dodgy, but can be negated for the most part by changes to your riding style. I always remind my passengers that the lateral motion they feel on acceleration and deceleration is not me, but rather the traction control compensating for torque steer. Anyhow, if you are anything like the thousands of members on this site, you are going to love your new ride. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Juancho; 03-16-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcomes and thoughts, and other, keep em coming, there is nothing like the voices of experienced people!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Juancho View Post
    Funny, I have been perusing this forum for a couple months now and finally pulled the trigger on a new 2014 RSS 2 weeks ago. In all that time though, I have not felt compelled to register for this forum… until now.

I saw a lot of similarities to your story, in my own. At 44, I too am below the primary riding demographic for the Can Am Spyder. I also do not suffer from any handicap, which would prevent me from riding on 2 wheels. Yet I find it very odd the stigma with which some view these machines.
    Now, I have ridden motorcycles my entire life. Then 4 months ago, a young, inexperienced driver decided to merge right into me on the freeway. No time to react, if the driver had just done a quick head check as she was supposed to do, all would have been avoided.

In San Diego it is a daily occurrence to drive by a motorcycle accident. Putting 2 and 2 together, I figure perhaps riding a motorcycle here wasn’t the safest idea. My brand new motorcycle sat there for several months collecting dust. I lost interest in riding. Then my wife began expressing an interest in wanting to ride with me. She had done her research and nudged me in the direction of the Spyder. We have been having a blast together ever since. Well, we have been having a blast together since the day we met, but now we do it on 2 wheels. Wait, that didn’t come out right. Well you catch my drift.

So, if you are coming from countless summers and winters riding quads, Seadoos and snow mobiles the Can Am will be a completely natural and seamless transition. If, on the other hand, you have only ridden bicycles or motorcycles it is a safe bet you will dislike the Can Am. The traction control is a bit of dodgy, but can be negated for the most part by changes to your riding style. I always remind my passengers that the lateral motion they feel on acceleration and deceleration is not me, but rather the traction control compensating for torque steer. Anyhow, if you are anything like the thousands of members on this site, you are going to love your new ride. Enjoy!
    A to you also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My first Spyder was an '09 RS SE5. My only complaint was how I sat, leaning over too far. I simply solved the problem by inventing the RS SE5 DLX Seal Floorboard. I too, am a distance ride and my sweet heart (now wife) did a 9,000 mile trip last spring. Twenty one States in 46 days. I loved the RS but did want to......

Ride in comfort,
    John
    sealcreativeconcepts.com

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum .
    Must admit I came over to Spyders after a bike smash , my wife hated the idea of me getting back on two wheels and suggested a quad , after much research I realised that a quad would not be ideal for me , no off road experience , but while looking I noticed a space age looking vehicle on one of the dealers forcourts , I managed to track one down a few months later .
    I am now the proud owner of a 2010 RSS , at first it frightened me to death , it was so soggy and wobbly .
    I did more research on this great forum and have now got it pretty much as I like it .
    I did the Ron bar ( fantastic , real difference )
    Pitbull shock re-locators , EBC pad upgrade , Yoshi end can and a handbrake conversion , which I love , at some point I would like to up-grade the shocks but for now I am happy .

Mike .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just picked up a 2014 RSS about a month ago, and in my early 40s, and I also felt the stigma was something Can-am should spend a few marketing dollars to address. It's a fun machine, but I do wish there was a few more go fast parts for it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure I'm in the lowest end of the spectrum when it comes to age for Spyder owners. I'm 28, and I bought my 2012 RSS last year. I learned to ride ATV's when I was 3, so the type of leaning and the lack of countersteer didn't affect me the way i've read other people describe it. These machines are a blast to ride, and can take some abuse if youre used to "spirited" riding. Stable at high speeds, steering is pretty responsive if you have to move quick for an emergency situation. The stigma around these being made for the more seasoned (ahem, older) crowd has a lot to do with the fact that they're not cheap when new. At twice the cost of a GSXR, CBR or R1, most younger people dont think twice about a Spyder.. even the BMW s1000RR MSRP is cheaper than a base RS spyder. Most people who buy motorcycles at my age arent buying a daily rider, they're toys.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a pretty good amount of 20-40 yr olds on spyders at Bikeweek though! I think the used market prices of these are very inviting, I know that's what attracted me. My bike was only one year old with 4000mi on it and I paid less than half what the original owner did.

Spyder Garage

I'm 30 and I've been a 2 and 4 wheel rider since I was 8 yrs old. I always liked the Spyder (3-wheeler) since I first saw the Vin Diesel movie Babylon A.D. . In 2014, I road a 4 wheeler around Santorini, Greece with the wife on back and she enjoyed the rides on the caldera so much that I purchased decided to purchase a Spyder. Now I like it so much... I sold my bike and I only ride the Spyder year round.

Like other's have stated the Spyder is expensive to the majority of people in the lower 20s trying to figure out life. Then you add in the other options such as a GSXR, R6, CBR RR, 636, which is half the price but faster. If I had to make a choice 5-10 years ago on a Spyder or a super sport bike.. I would have chose the bike. But now I have a business and a family to take care of. So my goal is to reduce the risk and still enjoy the reward of open air riding.

Also, the Spyder is definitely a conversation starter...even if you want to be left alone. I ride my CBR 600RR and no one bothers me. I ride the Spyder and people will walk across the parking lot to talk to me. I honestly talk to about 9-10 people a week, who is curious about the Spyder. I believe that once the Spyder resale value drop in the older models.. you will see more people in the younger demo buying the Spyders.

The Nanny is only there to help and to be honest a lot of the new super sport bikes are incorporating the nanny system also..i.e. 2015 Yamaha R1.

Personally, I love the RS-S and the only thing that will replace the RSS...is a 3-cylinder 1330 RSS SE6... c'mon BRP.. You know you want my money!!!!

Good Luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RS really is a do it all machine. Easy to take a day stroll running errands, ride 2 up, pack up like a mule for an extended trip, great for canyon carving, or even have some fun on track days.
    Don't sweat the nanny stuff. If you ride hard you'll become familiar with the input and after some time, can learn to adjust your riding style so its not as aggressive. There are a few ways to disable it entirely for track days but you end up with no abs and a non-stop scrolling message on the dash. While the spyder is completely rideable without it, its just better day to day having it......just like your car.
    More power would be nice, but its going to take a lot more than that low reving 1330 to get a lot of us to make the switch.

Enjoy, have fun, and ride safe!!

Spyder Garage

Default Great thread

It's really good to hear from younger new kids who love the rs platform as much as some of us more " broken in " folks.. Let 'er rip.
    it was fun while it lasted.