Thread: 12 volt plug

Spyder Garage

Default 12 volt plug

I have a new ST Limited which comes with the factory 12 volt plug in the frunk but I want to install one on the dash. I know with my RS there were 2 wires available for a 12 volt plug. One tied up by the front shock which was a switched accessory wire used for the frunk and there was a constant hot tied up right behind the frunk latch mechanism which I used for my dash plug. Is there another wire available on the ST or is there only one?
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    I have a new ST Limited which comes with the factory 12 volt plug in the frunk but I want to install one on the dash. I know with my RS there were 2 wires available for a 12 volt plug. One tied up by the front shock which was a switched accessory wire used for the frunk and there was a constant hot tied up right behind the frunk latch mechanism which I used for my dash plug. Is there another wire available on the ST or is there only one?

The outlet in your trunk uses the wires that are tied to the front shock area for those that do not have that option. On 2013 and later STs you have 2 fuse locations to choose from. The fuse location will control whether the outlet is always hot or switched.

Since you wish to add another outlet on your dash, always hot. Just wire up an outlet directly to the battery jumper posts under hood and left access cover. I did something similar except it was a USB power port. Just remember to put in a inline fuse. It was really easy to do on my ST Limited.
    Last edited by billybovine; 03-17-2015 at 09:30 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

The outlet in your trunk uses the wires that are tied to the front shock area for those that do not have that option. On 2013 and later STs you have 2 fuse locations to choose from. The fuse location will control whether the outlet is always hot or switched.

Since you wish to add another outlet on your dash, always hot. Just wire up an outlet directly to the battery jumper posts under hood and right access cover. I did something similar except it was a USB power port. Just remember to put in a inline fuse. It was really easy to do on my ST Limited.
    Great idea. What size inline fuse did you put on yours?
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    Great idea. What size inline fuse did you put on yours?

I used a 10 amp because it is for the USB outlet, alarm and USB power for the Sena BT Dongle. That may be a little oversized.

If you are only going to protect an outlet, 3 amp would be plenty big. If you are going to plug in some heated clothing. Size the fuse and wiring based on the load.

2018 F3 LIMITED