Thread: Sena 20S

Spyder Garage

Default Sena 20S

I am new to headsets. I was wondering if it is OK to use them when riding in the rain?

Spyder Garage

Default Sure

They are intended for motorcycle use. You will be fine.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default In a word Yes...

All Sena units are water resistant I have been in several down pouring rains with mine and have had no trouble
    however they are NOT water proof. I have seen some people put them in a sandwich baggie and then snap it back
    on the helmet, but unless you plan on skin diving I think that is over kill.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TmanOK View Post
    I am new to headsets. I was wondering if it is OK to use them when riding in the rain?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden with both the Scala and the Sena in the rain and haven't had any trouble. But the case on my 29S is falling apart so it is being returned, again.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I had to replace my 20S when the case fell apart, too. Fortunately, the distributor I bought it from swapped it out, no problem. I just put the new one on my helmet yesterday, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Deke
    +Peace,

Deke

2105 RT-S SE5 Special Series (current)
    2012 RT A&C SE5 (previous)

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!!

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just be careful with the mic.

I had the little foam sock over it and it got completely soaked with water.

When I squeezed it to get rid of that water, I must have forced some into the mic, it took two days to dry out so that it would work again.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

I ride a great deal in the rain. My Scala shorted out on me in the rain on a major trip.. Since then I have used the Sena SMH 10 and now the 20S both with great results. Sorry to hear some folks are having problems with them. I guess thats the case with nearly all new products
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Close all the rubber plugs.

Be sure to close any open holes with their rubber plugs, such as the USB charging jack or any other unused connections. If you have external ear buds, microphone or whatever plugged in that aren't using stock Sena connectors they may not seal good around the connector hole and you could get water in. I think the Sena units are meant to be rain resistant with all the accessory holes plugged up tight.

Charles
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just found the Sena SMH10D-10 on Amazon for $265. My dealer has it for $379. I'd like to do business locally, but if I get it from Amazon, that's $114 more for me to spend at Spyderfest!!

The SMH10D-10 is a two-pack for rider and passenger. Is that a good unit? Any problems installing it on modular helmets? I don't have any experience with Sena.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I just found the Sena SMH10D-10 on Amazon for $265. My dealer has it for $379. I'd like to do business locally, but if I get it from Amazon, that's $114 more for me to spend at Spyderfest!!

The SMH10D-10 is a two-pack for rider and passenger. Is that a good unit? Any problems installing it on modular helmets? I don't have any experience with Sena.
    The 10 models are very good. Going on season #3 with mine. We do to . Longer distance sending/receiving than Scala, quieter, longer charge life. win-win.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The 10 models are very good. Going on season #3 with mine. We do to . Longer distance sending/receiving than Scala, quieter, longer charge life. win-win.
    Thank you. I tried a Scala a few years ago and never got it to work right - not sure if that was my fault or Scala's, but it made me a little reluctant to spend money for another system. I've been hearing good things about Sena. Your endorsement seals the deal. I'll order the Sena.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have them right now for $249.95

The Motorcycle Dave site has them on for $249.95 for the dual pack. SMH10D-10

QUOTE=Professor;946867]I just found the Sena SMH10D-10 on Amazon for $265. My dealer has it for $379. I'd like to do business locally, but if I get it from Amazon, that's $114 more for me to spend at Spyderfest!!

The SMH10D-10 is a two-pack for rider and passenger. Is that a good unit? Any problems installing it on modular helmets? I don't have any experience with Sena.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Just picked up the second F3 were really happy with it and we just tried out the new bell helmets with the sena 10 that we bought at the demo ride. but the volume is so low can barely hear on the freeway had the scala rider before but could never get them to connect. These connect easily but volume is really low , and yes they are dialed all the way up?
    Last edited by GunDoctor; 03-14-2015 at 08:24 PM.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    Just picked up the second F3 were really happy with it and we just tried out the new bell helmets with the sena 10 that we bought at the demo ride. but the volume is so low can barely hear on the freeway had the scala rider before but could never get them to connect. These connect easily but volume is really low , and yes they are dialed all the way up?
    Could either be speaker placement-get them close to the ears, or there are several firmware upgrades from Sena as well. Check Sena's site on how to do that.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't know about the 10 but the 20s has volume adjust on each function..... ie: you can have the intercom louder than the music...... select the function you want. turn the knob to the rear..... select next function ..adjust as needed...... AND +1 on the firmware updates.

MT
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

Did the firmware update last month. Have to look into additional volume control. Thanks for the suggestions.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have the SMH10's and they will go a lot louder than we can stand.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Highwayman..just checked on YouTube for any additional volume settings other than turning the wheel all the way clock wise until you hear the beep. Still can hear very well on either helmet?

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]