Thread: Oregon

Spyder Garage

Default Oregon

Perhaps you wonder why anyone would want to live in a place as crazy/weird/faaarrrrr LEFT as Oregon?

I found this short video that may answer that question for you:
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Never a doubt.....

same coastline as ours different climate. Love wood and all related to it, what better place. Love the Pacific ocean as well..thanks for the tour..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Wow! Thanks and double thanks for posting the video. There is truly magic and magnificence in viewing the coastal areas. It does not get much better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I owned a house in Mosier, OR (between Hood River & The Dalles) high on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River in the Columbia River Gorge from 1989 to 1999. We bought the house with the intent of moving there but life - as it will - got in the way. One of the saddest days of my life was selling our beautiful home. We did get out there 3 or 4 times a year, (my wife's mother lived in the house) and being an avid fly fisher, I adopted the Deschutes River in and around Maupin as my "home river". So, I know why you like Oregon so much.

We could see Memaloose Island, an Indian burial ground, from our house.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 03-11-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AWESOME...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

OG - I know the4 Mosier are well - Cousin's in Hood River is a key breakfast stop! Although I prefer 14 over 84, when riding East....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    OG - I know the4 Mosier are well - Cousin's in Hood River is a key breakfast stop! Although I prefer 14 over 84, when riding East....
    Especially through Cascade Locks where it is ALWAYS raining!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

awesome video.. thanks, I have not visited Oregon as much as I would like.. maybe this year I will rectify that...

osm

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When my kids lived up on the Olympic peninsula we came back to Nevada via the coast road. We started in Astoria and only made it to Florence before turning back over to hwy 5. We had to back to work. There was so much to see there it took from 8am until about 7pm JUST to get that far. Absolutely a beautiful, beautiful ride. Thank you for the video.

Spyder Garage

Default There is more to Oregon than the coast

If you want to see a more right side of Oregon, go to the cascades and then into Eastern Oregon (about 2/3) of the state. We don't call ourselves weird as the Portlanders do, we are independent thinkers and maybe a bit strange. Anyway, there is a great variety of roads and types of scenery in the state and most of the Eastern roads have very little traffic. DickyRichard

Spyder Garage

26 to Boise is our preferred route East - never get tired of it. Then there's 140, that meanders along the Southern border...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

That is awesome... love that video! Now I want to go to Oregon... are there any events that I can use as an excuse to ride to that side of the country? If not, can someone organize an Oregon Spyder event for 2016... that will give me plenty of planning time!

Thanks for posting!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Spyder Garage

SITR is close - Eureka, CA. You can loop a bit North as you leave, and ride through the Redwoods, costal forests, pop over Crater Lake, then down to Klamath Falls an head home....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    SITR is close - Eureka, CA. You can loop a bit North as you leave, and ride through the Redwoods, costal forests, pop over Crater Lake, then down to Klamath Falls an head home....
    Nice, thank you - I just mapped it... you're only 2 hrs away from the Oregon border. Eureka, CA is about 2000 miles from Dallas, so a bit longer than SpyderQuest, but no big deal in the grand scheme of things! And looks like a pretty cool route home from Portland!

Now you've made it real. Thank you!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Spyder Garage

If you're coming all the way up the coast, either cut over at Lincoln City, or go all the way to Astoria... One of my summer trips took us to Jasper, AB. On the way back, we walked on the Columbia glacier (original source of the Columbia River), then followed the river all the way to Astoria... Fun trip.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

OF all thaplaces I've lived from Baton Rouge, LA to Honolulu, HI, Oregon is my favorite. Wish we could afford to retire there. Penny

Spyder Garage

I'm going to bump this back up, for any that might have missed it before.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Hi webweaver,

Re: Wish we could afford to retire there.

Monday's Wall Street Journal had an article about Portland being the #1 'go to place' for retirees. You should come out & see how it fits your budget.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5