Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Their sleds (BRP) require a similar burping to get a really full tank.

Spyder Garage

Just curious, did anyone ever get this issue with incorrect reading of digital fuel gauge sorted out. My 2013 RT fuel gauge has been driving me nuts. Despite filling it to the very brim, the gauge only displays 4 bars. Today, I went for a long ride and the fuel light came on at only 120 kms (72 miles) I then drove for another 30 or so kms and when I filled up I still had half a tank. This gauge issue has occurred before, and mysteriously fixed itself. But, no matter what I do now, it just wont work properly. I was wondering if I pulled a fuse to the instrument cluster and then reset it if that might do anything.
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT.
    2008 Can Am Spyder GS (Numbered)
    My ModsEdit Value
    Baja Ron Sway Bar and aluminum Heim links
    Show Chrome Rear Trunk Light - Running, Brake and Turn Signal
    Carbon Fibre Windshield Decal
    Chrome's Front trunk inner trims
    Lower Side Grills
    Dual USB Ports in Switch Pod
    Chrome Mirror Accents
    Rear Trunk Chrome Trim
    Digital Voltmeter
    11" Linex coated Aluminum Floorboards
    Chrome lower nose guard
    Custom Dynamics Tri-light LED fender lights
    Show Chrome Rear Mudflap
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Spider aluminum brake pedal
    Chrome Saddlebags Trim
    Chrome Flag holders
    2013 RT , Aluminum Spyder Brake Pedal Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Nope! Particularly for the V-Twins, this is an on-going issue! My gauge & fuel light are still erratically and MASSIVELY incorrect!

Sometimes it'll read perfectly accurately; sometimes it's only a little off; sometimes it's WAAAAYYYY off and very quickly at that!! So far, the quickest it's shown the tank going from 'over-full' to 'absobloodylutely bone dry' has been about 800 yards, and the ONLY things I haven't done to correct this issue is to fit a completly new tank & to buy a new Spyder!

Duzzn'matta what I've done - pulled the fuse; switched back & forth between analogue gauge & the digital gauge... repeatedly; removed & replaced the Magic Mirror Mounts.... also repeatedly; had the wiring checked for continuity and resistance... more than once; had the sender and the dash/gauge checked for continuity & resistance.... more than once; cleaned the tank (only in situ tho - it's a right pain to get out! ); replaced the sender with a 'known working' sender unit (altho admittedly, it was only bench checked in a bucket!); even had a new dash module fitted!

It seems that there's actually something going on IN the tank that causes the sender to stick at odd times &/or in odd places, or to sink at odd times &/or to odd levels... and there's no apparent rhyme or reason to when it choses to do which or what?!

The dash module that came out bench-tested as being perfect (so at least I've got a spare now! ) and the sender unit that came out also bench-tested perfectly ( yup, 'nuther spare! ) and yet the fuel gauges, both the digital AND the analogue, are at best a potentially wildly inaccurate indication of what fuel you might have in the tank, or they might be very accurate - only you hafta guess when it's doing what!

Just re-set a Trip Meter whenever you re-fill the tank, learn about how far you can go to still have some gas left in the tank, even if it's just a quart or so; and if you're travelling a long distance between gas stations, carry some spare fuel and top up EARLY, before you actually run outta gas!! Modern fuel injection systems REALLY DON'T LIKE BEING RUN DRY!! Do you hafta ask me how I learnt that?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2020 at 12:14 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, thank you so much for long and detailed reply. You saved me from a weekend of wasting my time trying to diagnose the fuel gauge issue. I hate it when things are not working properly, but I guess I will learn to live with it. Motorcyclists have been riding without fuel gauges for years, so I will stick to using odometer readings. I wonder why this is an issue with the 998 cc? Did BRP change our the sending unit on the 1330 CC motor? Again, thank you. Love this forum.
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT.
    2008 Can Am Spyder GS (Numbered)
    My ModsEdit Value
    Baja Ron Sway Bar and aluminum Heim links
    Show Chrome Rear Trunk Light - Running, Brake and Turn Signal
    Carbon Fibre Windshield Decal
    Chrome's Front trunk inner trims
    Lower Side Grills
    Dual USB Ports in Switch Pod
    Chrome Mirror Accents
    Rear Trunk Chrome Trim
    Digital Voltmeter