Thread: Oil Question

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Question

The oil kit for my Spyder came with BRP XPS semi synthetic blend oil. It also reads Summer Grade. Next time can I order winter grade on the kit? or it is always summer grade. This winter I rode my bike in the 35-40 degrees, is that okay with that kind of oil? Thanks
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

I think I've bought four or five oil change kits over the last two years and all have been "summer grade". Maybe that's all they make?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

It's fine. Basically the info is for snowmobiles which, in some places, sit outside in sub-zero temps. BRP makes a 0w-40 (Corrected as per BullyBovine) full synthetic for those conditions. Once the engine is at operating temperature, it really doesn't matter what the ambient temp is.

So unless your Spyder is sitting overnight in sub-zero temps, you're good to go with the 'Summer' version year around.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-05-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Dang it, now i learned something else, where am i supposed to keep all this good info???

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    BRP makes a 5w-40 full synthetic for those conditions.
    The full synthetic is 0w-40 and the blended is 5w-40.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I use the Amsoil Baja Ron sells! Top end stays quite until the next oil change which was not the case with BRP oil.
    I wont be going back either... Sticking with the Amsoil.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The full synthetic is 0w-40 and the blended is 5w-40.
    You're right! Used to be 10w-40 and 5w-40. They did change that (which means they could change it back again). But the premise is still the same.

Thanks for setting me straight!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I use the Amsoil Baja Ron sells! Top end stays quite until the next oil change which was not the case with BRP oil.
    I wont be going back either... Sticking with the Amsoil.

Bob
    Which grade amsoil do you use? Do you stick to regular oil change schedule or do you extend?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TXSHOTGUN View Post
    Which grade amsoil do you use? Do you stick to regular oil change schedule or do you extend?
    Talk to Baja Ron! He will set you up with what you need for your area and climate.

For me here is So Cali, he recommended 10W-40. I have done my 4600 mile and my 9600 mile using this and am SUPER happy!

Again my top end noise has been great! After my 600 mile service from the dealer using the BRP oil, my top end got noisy after 3,000 miles to the point I was worrying a little... Made me wonder if BRP did the right thing by extending the service interval from 3,000 to 4,600!!!!

When I used this myself on my 4600 mile, the top end was GREAT until about 9,000 as I was approaching my 9600 service. I really want to say, there was a difference! Again, NO WAY will I go back to BRP oil. In fact my 14K service is coming up and I will have a dealer do it due to the valve adjustment thing. Not that I cannot do that myself but I also need some warranty work done (Evap canister and Evap check valve need replacing). So I am going to have that done. BUT.... when I get home.... I am dumping the BRP oil at about 2K and doing my own oil change again right away using Amsoil!

Also so you know, I am into RC Aircraft and the RC Airplane gasoline guys swear by this stuff and would not use anything else.
    So it's not the first time I have had recommendations to use Amsoil.

Ron, I am not trying to "pimp you out" here but just saying your customer service has been great. I know your a humble man.... Feel free to add what you like to my opinions.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-05-2015 at 08:20 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black