Spyder Garage

Default Cat removal question

I was wondering if the pipes from the engine have to be removed to take the cat off. I am thinking of getting a bypass built and I want to know what I have to do to take it out. I would buy the one from Pitbull, but with our Canadian dollar doing so bad I figure it would be a lot cheaper to get it made here.

To anyone who has done it on the 998, do you have the steps to follow to remove it.

Brian

Spyder Garage

Default NO

just remove the CAT for the down-pipes from the engine and the muffler..... you may have to remove the muffler 1st, depending on which model SPYD3R you have....
    good luck...
    btw: if you have a 1330, a 'by-pass' pipe shouldn't cost you much more than $50 (USD)...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your reply Dan but I really don't know what you are saying.
    I already mentioned that the engine is a 998 and I posted this in the ST Shop Talk so I am not sure why you talk about the 1330????

Are you saying that the pipes have to come off the engine first?

Brian

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

This is the cat off a 13 ST
    Attached Images Attached Images

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default sorry

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Thanks for your reply Dan but I really don't know what you are saying.
    I already mentioned that the engine is a 998 and I posted this in the ST Shop Talk so I am not sure why you talk about the 1330????

Are you saying that the pipes have to come off the engine first?

Brian

sorry Brian, i flew right by the 998.......
    the 'by-pass' for the 998's is a bear.... 2 into 1...
    NOT an easy DIY project... i would STRONGLY recommend buying the Stainless Steel version that Lamont sells if you are Hell-bent on a by-pass...
    to explain: the 998's have 2 pipes; front & read cylinders each have their own exhaust pipe that dumps it's waste into the CAT... inside the CAT is a barrier wall where the CAT passes through... after the exhaust passes through the CAT it goes out via 1 pipe and finds its way to the muffler then out... to build a 'by-pass' of your own, the tolerances are very tight, and in my opinion, not worth the effort...
    your call pal.... and good luck which ever way you decide to go....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I was wondering if the pipes from the engine have to be removed to take the cat off. I am thinking of getting a bypass built and I want to know what I have to do to take it out. I would buy the one from Pitbull, but with our Canadian dollar doing so bad I figure it would be a lot cheaper to get it made here.

To anyone who has done it on the 998, do you have the steps to follow to remove it.

Brian
    Eh Brian .... I replaced my cat bypass on my 998 RT. myself and it is a very straight forward job. Just remove the muffler then the cat, the new cat bypass should then clamp right on. Making one yourself may prove to be quite a job. Tolerances and room are very tight. Yes the exchange sucks but I think that most shops are going to be more than the cost of the cat plus the exchange. If the cat does not fit it sure is a pain in the a#^. Getting that big heavy furnace out from under your Spyder cools things down for sure and sheds a few pounds to boot. Here is my cat story.

"Not all cat bypasses are created equal" Buy your cat bypass from Lamont, he has a cat bypass that fits like it should and you can bet if Lamont promises you something he will follow thru. I purchased my bypass before Lamont had his in production. I purchased my cat bypass from Spyder Attitude .... DO NOT buy a bypass from Spyder Attitude!! I should have paid attention to the others on Spyder Lovers that had problems with his cat bypass. The cat bypass did not fit correctly and I contacted him. First he said I installed it wrong. Believe me it is not brain surgery. Three clamps and it should be installed. ( Quotes from his letters... "There is always a slight possibility that something went wrong during the production process" .... "I will build your unit myself to assure a proper fit" ). He said he would send me another to replace the cat bypass that did not fit correctly. Next he said the replacement got lost in the mail. Then he said as soon as he found the lost one he would send it to me. All of his crap took place over six months and then he just quit lying to me and ended his correspondence with me. With his poor attitude towards his customers satisfaction and a product that may not fit correctly I am surprised that he is still a vendor on Spyder Lovers site.

Buy your cat bypass from Lamont! You will be dealing with a vendor that will make sure you are pleased with your purchase. Installation should be easy and you loose the heat and weight of the cat.
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 03-09-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd. Black Currant, SpyderPops Bump Skid & Belt Guard, Bajarons Sway Bar & Heim Joints, BRP. Trailer Hitch, Trailer Hitch Luggage Carrier, Cat By-Pass, Wrapped pipes, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake light & Dual Brightsides, F4 Customs Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy seat & back rest, Rivco Armrests, LED mirror lights, Lidlox Helmet locks, Elka Stage 2 Frt. Shocks., Clearwater "Darla" LED driving lights, Tricled LED headlights & fog lights, Tricled fender LED lights.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Removing Cat

I have replaced my catalytic converter with a pipe set from Australian Spyder Riders website. It was a bit fiddly but straightforward and finished it off with an Akropovic silencer. The increase in low down torque and power was very impressive. There are a couple of clips that have to be undone and disengagement of the rubber supports a bit of persuasion with a lever and the old one is off. I supported the repacement pipes with a jack and jacked it up into position.

Spyder Garage

Don't wast your time go to eBay and purchase a Baldwin Iron Works 1330 engine cat bypass pipe and adjustable baffle kit... issue resolved.

Brusier
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

You just replied to a 5 year old thread ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

And gave bum advise. Wrong engine.