Spyder Garage

Default Trouble with wifes RS-S

Haven`t been on here for a while but hope someone can confirm my thought. First I put a new slip on free flowing muffler on my wife`s RS. She came out to here it so we started it and it ran flawless! I had other projects so I started on those after she went back in. My next project was to install the JT air filter system, Power Commander V, iridium plugs, and O2 optimizer. I did all of this before I started it up again. When I tried to start it, it acted like it wanted to start but would not unless I held the throttle open a fair amount and if I let off it would die. The gas smell is strong out of the exhaust. I was hoping it was in the mapping of the power commander so I tried 6 different maps with no luck. I have this same set up on my RT and I do not have the cat anymore so they are very close in set up. I have a map I have played with on mine that is butter smooth at any speed and at start up. I dumped that one in also and still the same. I have since put everything back to normal, no power commander hooked up, no O2 optimizer. Tried it again and still the same. I thought there is no way it can be from the plugs but I put the originals back in anyhow and no help. When you try to start it even for a short time the plugs get covered in raw fuel. WAY TO RICH! Like I say it will start if you hold the throttle open and seems to run great, very quick throttle response as long as you don`t let the RPM`s get to low but you can still smell that it is way to rich. Owe and yes I did sinc the TPS with the power commander when it was hooked up. If someone told me these problems I would tell them to start with the TPS. Since the power commander taps into the TPS readout wire could the TPS somehow have been damaged? The quick tap is not on the TPS wire now and the wire is in great shape. The battery was hooked up but the key was off while this work was done. Nothing else was messed with. I think it is the TPS but hate to just start throwing things at it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Fot the heck of it . I would unhook the battery and see if the computer will reset and compensate

Spyder Garage

Ya that is a good idea but that was no help either.

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Check for vacuum leaks. That's what it sounds like. If it want Idle.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Ya did that also.

Spyder Garage

When I changed out the cat on my F3 so the engine can breath I was told to make sure I drove it for at least 15 minutes so Nanny could reset. Starting up after putting every item you mentioned may not have been long enough

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

I turned the idle up enough to keep it running and let it run for about 20 min. and it was still the same. After what I did it should be to lean and it is rich to the point of flooding the plugs.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

when you start messing with the fuel mixture settings things get touchy. If Like most you are turning the key on and off and checking but never the "key walk" . When you remove the key and walk away the computers reset and when start up they remap. Looks like it keeps running at stock settings. The slip on alone will not change the running/starting nor will the air flow system. But the o2 sensor and fuel controler will. Try the key walk or battery disconnect...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default O2 modifier AND fuel controller ?

Why use both? I always thought one or the other, but not both. Just askin.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    Why use both? I always thought one or the other, but not both. Just askin.
    O2 modifier is for the closed loop part of the map and fuel controller is for the open loop part of the map.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StriperKing View Post
    Haven`t been on here for a while but hope someone can confirm my thought. First I put a new slip on free flowing muffler on my wife`s RS. She came out to here it so we started it and it ran flawless! I had other projects so I started on those after she went back in. My next project was to install the JT air filter system, Power Commander V, iridium plugs, and O2 optimizer. I did all of this before I started it up again. When I tried to start it, it acted like it wanted to start but would not unless I held the throttle open a fair amount and if I let off it would die. The gas smell is strong out of the exhaust. I was hoping it was in the mapping of the power commander so I tried 6 different maps with no luck. I have this same set up on my RT and I do not have the cat anymore so they are very close in set up. I have a map I have played with on mine that is butter smooth at any speed and at start up. I dumped that one in also and still the same. I have since put everything back to normal, no power commander hooked up, no O2 optimizer. Tried it again and still the same. I thought there is no way it can be from the plugs but I put the originals back in anyhow and no help. When you try to start it even for a short time the plugs get covered in raw fuel. WAY TO RICH! Like I say it will start if you hold the throttle open and seems to run great, very quick throttle response as long as you don`t let the RPM`s get to low but you can still smell that it is way to rich. Owe and yes I did sinc the TPS with the power commander when it was hooked up. If someone told me these problems I would tell them to start with the TPS. Since the power commander taps into the TPS readout wire could the TPS somehow have been damaged? The quick tap is not on the TPS wire now and the wire is in great shape. The battery was hooked up but the key was off while this work was done. Nothing else was messed with. I think it is the TPS but hate to just start throwing things at it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
    I have two things 1.Did you change the spark plug wires? If not change them to BajaRon spark plug wire. 2. I had a problem like that, ran great over 3,500 RPMs but when my 2011 RS-S SE5 went below that or a idle it would stop running. It was the map sensor. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default I'd start by removing things 1 by 1

And see if that solves it. It sure sounds like the OP created the problem, should be easy to undo!
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015