Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F3 AUX LITES

Spyder Garage

Default F3 AUX LITES

TODAY I HAD MY F3-S FITTED WITH THE AUXILARY LIGHTS....
    to perform the installation, they take out the 'BLANK-OFF PLATES" and install the lights...
    once all the Tuperware is repositioned, the lights have a HUGE void around them...
    i asked the technician for the 'blank-off' plates, and when i got home, i got out my old trusty 2 1/2" hole saw, and cut out the center of the 'blank-off' plate, and reinstalled them back in their original position sans their centers...
    here's the results....

NOTE to new F3 owners: ask to keep your 'blank offs' because you are NOT going to like what you see without them...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Nice to see you got them as mine are on back order. Do they not fill in the hole when the round plastic plate is removed? Looking at your pictures it looks like the lights are not as big as the round holes for them.

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

wonder why they would leave it wide open. Looks much better your way...congrats..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default NO

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaspeed View Post
    Nice to see you got them as mine are on back order. Do they not fill in the hole when the round plastic plate is removed? Looking at your pictures it looks like the lights are not as big as the round holes for them.
    NO, the lights are only 2" in diameter.... when they remove the 'blank off'... the sides are left open around the new lense, and you can see all the junk on the insides.... keep those 'blank offs' and if you aren't the DIY type, bring them to me, and i'll open them up for you, and re-install them.... i openned the hole to 2.500" because these lights get really HOT, and i wanted a void around them for air flow so they wouldn't melt....
    For a $499.99 option, you'd think BRP would provide such an item....
    Dan P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    NO, the lights are only 2" in diameter.... when they remove the 'blank off'... the sides are left open around the new lense, and you can see all the junk on the insides.... keep those 'blank offs' and if you aren't the DIY type, bring them to me, and i'll open them up for you, and re-install them.... i openned the hole to 2.500" because these lights get really HOT, and i wanted a void around them for air flow so they wouldn't melt....
    For a $499.99 option, you'd think BRP would provide such an item....
    Dan P
    Thanks so much for your feedback. How is the output and if you had to do it again would you use the BRP ones or look into an aftermarket light, maybe LED?

Spyder Garage

Dan, you are always tinkering. Real nice job. It would seem to me that BRP don't think too make the extras look nicer/or finish the small details. Again you did a nice job.

Spyder Garage

Curious if these are a pug in an where does the switch go and does all that come with the lights ?

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Default ALL

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    Curious if these are a pug in an where does the switch go and does all that come with the lights ?

Doc;
    on either side of the ignition switch are two blank buttons... the left button hole is for a switch for the 'heated grips' and the right button hole is for the AUX LIGHTS... the switches for each come with these items when ordered... mine now looks 'loop-sided' so it looks like i'll have to ask ma'ma for the 'heated grips' for my B'day present.... ha ha ha ha....
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Thanks for info I have lights on order. Will be doing install myself.

Spyder Garage

IMO, for the price BRP charges they should fit with no gaps.

You should submit an invoice to BRP for your time (don't forget to round up) to rectify their design issue.
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

Default INVOICE?

Quote Originally Posted by MMMII View Post
    IMO, for the price BRP charges they should fit with no gaps.

You should submit an invoice to BRP for your time (don't forget to round up) to rectify their design issue.
    Triple M2...
    i don't need no stinking invoice... if BRP wants to take 'short-cuts' that's ok with me, i'd have nut'n 2 do during 'NO RIDING TIME' pal if they were perfect.... what they should do is consult me b4 they release a product... i have 40 yrs experience in jet engine design management...
    2moro i'll take my F3 apart, and take another picture of how she looks in BRP dress, and i'll post that... watch for it...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Couldn't the techs just drill a hole like you did without removing the plastic altogether???
    Think it would have been easier to due that in the first place.
    Yours definitely looks better. Good thing you're so handy.
    Sometimes I wonder what their designers are thinking, why do they seem to half a** everything!!!!
    Lots of money to put out just to have to come home and redo it the right way.
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Default I ordered the Aux Lights . . .

. . . . but I was kind of ambivalent about them. Never had them on any of my other Spyders - got by without them.

For some reason, I was thinking that they were LED, but after ordering them I found they were just like the old ones. So seeing what they look like, not being LED and what you went through, I am probably going to cancel the order and use the money on something else I would use a little more.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT TO HI-JACK BUT IT'S RELATED

To Tom in NM , there are a ton of LED options out there in E-Bay land that will work.....Right now I am looking at putting some along side my headlights on my 2014 RT ( basic) right now they are fake ....the S and LTD have a low power led in there , but it really only a decoration......The LED I'm going to use is 2500 lumen's......I was worried about the heat issue also , so I hooked up the light on the workbench and left it on for 5 hrs....the lens and the metal housing were barely warm to the touch so I'm not worried ............I will have to trim 1/32 inch from the OEM headlight basket to get my LED in there, but other than hooking up some wires and a switch that's about it .......The two I bought would work excellent in the F-3 where Dan has his , they cost me $ 25.00 for the pair ,delivered.................Mike

Spyder Garage

Very nice light mod.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wow I am surprised that the replacement heat shields did not come as part of the upgrade kit for the price they are charging. I am in the process of installing my own projector fogs for about 20% of the BRP price. The wiring and relay are already in place so I am just waiting for the factory switch. I was told that the OEM lights wouldn't be available until later in the month. I was going to do the same thing you did with cutting the plastic plug and went online to see what a replacement would cost me if I didn't like the way it turned out. While looking at the parts diagram I found that their is a part made for that. the part number is 705008995 and 705008996 and they were less than $9 each.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Nice job! My lights just came in. Kind of wish I hadn't ordered them now. I hope I can get the dealership to do what you did. Thanks for the idea!
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

2015 Can-Am Red F3-S, SE6
    CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Spyder Garage

Default Aux light heat shields Question

I am wondering if these heat shields should/need to be installed at the same time to help deflect/keep heat from building up inside the console area?? Just a question

Spyder Garage

Default they make a huge difference

I actually don't mind the big blank area around the lights with the "normal" install. The lights themselves make a HUGE difference when driving at night. Anyone who's seen the difference between having them on and not has been impressed.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm working on getting some DRL's in the a-arms but in a different lumen and control.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Doc;
    on either side of the ignition switch are two blank buttons... the left button hole is for a switch for the 'heated grips' and the right button hole is for the AUX LIGHTS... the switches for each come with these items when ordered... mine now looks 'loop-sided' so it looks like i'll have to ask ma'ma for the 'heated grips' for my B'day present.... ha ha ha ha....
    Dan
    Thanks, great info.

2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    To Tom in NM , there are a ton of LED options out there in E-Bay land that will work.....Right now I am looking at putting some along side my headlights on my 2014 RT ( basic) right now they are fake ....the S and LTD have a low power led in there , but it really only a decoration......The LED I'm going to use is 2500 lumen's......I was worried about the heat issue also , so I hooked up the light on the workbench and left it on for 5 hrs....the lens and the metal housing were barely warm to the touch so I'm not worried ............I will have to trim 1/32 inch from the OEM headlight basket to get my LED in there, but other than hooking up some wires and a switch that's about it .......The two I bought would work excellent in the F-3 where Dan has his , they cost me $ 25.00 for the pair ,delivered.................Mike
    Could you share a link to those LEDs? Thanks.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Default Not LEDs????

In this day and age, BRP should be ashamed of themselves for not making the driving lights LEDs.

Spyder Garage

I will be using LEDs / Lots of options out there.... More light less money 😎

Spyder Garage

Default OK, DUDES & DUDETTES

HERE ARE SOME 'BEFORE & AFTER' PIX......

I PULLED MY TUPERWARE OFF MY F3-S TODAY, REMOVE MY ALTERED BLANK-OFF AND TOOK PIX SO Y'ALL CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE.....
    BEFORE PIX... THIS IS WHAT YOURS WILL LOOK LIKE AFTER INSTALLATION OF THE AUX LIGHTS... LOOK CLOSELY, YOU CAN SEE WIRING AND TAGS... NOT A GO SET-UP... BRP SHOULD PROVIDE THE 'BLANK OFF' WITH A 'KNOCK-OUT' SECTION FOR THE TECHS TO REMOVE WHEN THESE LIGHTS ARE PURCHASED... SHAME ON YOU BRP.....
    "PAS UN BON DESIGN BRP"...

MY ALTERATION...

AFTER PIC... THIS IS WHAT MINE LOOKS LIKE AFTER I ALTERED THE 'BLANK OFF' PLATES THAT COME WITH THE F3'S....

SOMEBODY MENTIONED "HEAT SHIELD"... NO SUCH THING, NEVER SAID THAT... WHAT I SAID WAS:
    "THESE THINGS GET HOT, SO I DID A 2.5" DIA. HOLE TO ALLOW AIR TO FLOW AROUND THE LIGHTS BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT THE PLASTIC TO WRAP"...

I WAS AT MY DEALER TODAY, AND SHOWED THEM WHAT I DID, AND THEY ARE LOOKING INTO DOING THIS FOR ALL CUSTOMERS THAT PURCHASE THESE AUXILLARY LIGHTS AT THEIR STORE...
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 03-04-2015 at 06:42 PM.