Spyder Garage

Default Air Filter Replacement

I have an RS 2011. It has a standard exhaust - pre 2013 so cat and exhaust are just one unit. I have no heat issues. I've no plans to change the exhaust as I do long distance riding and so don't want the extra noise (like loud pipes but not after 12 hours:-))

I know it will make it a lot easier for me to change the sparks next time I replace them.

However is there any other significant benefit from changing the air filter from standard to a CNC Machines (or similar) setup?

For those who are not sure what I mean by a CNC Filter here's a pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Benifit? Nope.

Spyder Garage

Every machine is different, but there is a decent chance you will need a fuel controller if you decide to go with it. I would highly recommend it even if your Spyder doesn't tell you it needs it. Guaranteed the bike will run smoother with a fuel controller. I run the power commander V with auto tune. No doubt the best setup for the Spyder. Keep in mind, you will have the added intake noise with that setup. Bothers some but not others. I actually like it!

Spyder Garage

Default Put on my RT

and I have had no problems. Runs great!
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5
    NBV-Pegs
    BajaRon Anti-Sway bars w/ links
    Tricled 3/4 Break Running Lights
    Tricled Mirror turn signals
    J&M rear speaker install

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I considered one of these for my wife's RT. Mostly for the cooling around the top of the engine. The thing I was concerned about was the intake noise, JT has a foam pre-filter that is supposed to take care of that. I changed my spark plugs two weeks ago with the stock filter and it is quite a job, but it can be done. Not sure if you would need a fuel controller with the stock exhaust, I would think not. Good luck with your decision.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Changing the front plug is a breeze with JThorntons air filter on.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I considered one of these for my wife's RT. Mostly for the cooling around the top of the engine. The thing I was concerned about was the intake noise, JT has a foam pre-filter that is supposed to take care of that. I changed my spark plugs two weeks ago with the stock filter and it is quite a job, but it can be done. Not sure if you would need a fuel controller with the stock exhaust, I would think not. Good luck with your decision.
    No fuel controller is needed when you change to my Air Filter Kit.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    No fuel controller is needed when you change to my Air Filter Kit.

JT

We put one on my wife's STL last year and it ran great. Put on the pre-filter and it is nice and quiet.
    Get rid of that huge air box under the tupperware and get some air flowing in there.
    Also, makes it really easy if you need to do anything under the plastic.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post

We put one on my wife's STL last year and it ran great. Put on the pre-filter and it is nice and quiet.
    Get rid of that huge air box under the tupperware and get some air flowing in there.
    Also, makes it really easy if you need to do anything under the plastic.
    That is good to know, I will probably do that later in the year. That airbox is a bear.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THAT FILTER

It's going to be a lot louder....and the throttle bodies are going to be sucking very hot air.....................JMHO.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

Jnperformance wise you will notice an improvement. In your case not having a heat issue you will not benefit there. There is more room and air flow without the oem box but you will have more noise from the air flow through the throttle bodies. As mike stated the air will be hotter but not enough to change running conditions. I did add ram air but thats my way. The workability without the air box is really nice...your choice..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It's going to be a lot louder....and the throttle bodies are going to be sucking very hot air.....................JMHO.......Mike
    Mike,
    If you want more air in your engine take your rubber tubes out of the front of the air box and get a K&N filter. Now you get cooler air from the in front of the engine. That will get more cool air to the throttle bodies than they can uses. That's IMHO.

Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YEP

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    Mike,
    If you want more air in your engine take your rubber tubes out of the front of the air box and get a K&N filter. Now you get cooler air from the in front of the engine. That will get more cool air to the throttle bodies than they can uses. That's IMHO.

Mike
    .....I didn't get into the whole thing about what you just said about the OEM air tube thing....On my GS and RSS I connected a 3 inch alumin. vent tube to a cut down OEM rubber tube and this went to the right side vent ( NO FOG LITE ) .....This gave the Throttle bodies lots of fresh ambient temp air instead of what was around the engine ( 270 + )............I think the engine ran a tad smoother ...............Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when you mention the noise.
    The sound changed but it wasn't any louder just a little different.
    I'm using the green pre-filter on JT's filter assy

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Air filter

Hi, I made my own from a filter from Supercheap. I didn't have any problems and the RT going like house on fire.

KJ2352 Aust

Spyder Garage

Firstly a quick thanks for all the info.

I've ordered some iridium spark plugs for when I do my next service so that means I will not have to worry about getting past the air box to replace those so often. Though getting rid of that airbox would still be good as it's such a pain.

The sound affect of the extra air movement is actually rather appealing:-)

The possibility of needing a power commander or similar is worrying as they cost an arm and a leg here, though I notice most have said they didn't need one. My Spyder runs pretty smooth at the moment so I wouldn't want to upset that.

Like the ram air idea Chupaca/BlueKnight911. Problem is in NZ our lighting setup is different from the US. Our high beams are where your lights are while the low beam are in the hole you're running that pipe from. I wonder if some of the 2014 panels with the extra air vents would help. If I ever get around to my plan to customise my Spyder to look more a H.R.Giger creation then there will be plenty of opportunity for extra pipework:-)

I think this ends up on my list of improvements in the 'nice to have' category.