Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Avoiding Road Hazards on 3 Wheels?

So it looks like the big melt is closing in on us here in the north east / mid west and those pesky road monsters we northerners like to call pot holes are starting to sprout under the thawing ice.
    Every time I maneuver my car around one of these road hazards I think to myself, what would I have done if I were on the Spyder? I think it would easier to avoid the mouth of the road monster on 4 wheels vs 3.

So what happens on a Spyder? Let's say you are approaching a pot hole which lays in the middle of the road at 60 miles an hour , you swerve left and the right front suspension takes a hit, you swerve right and it's the left side taking the beating, and if you just go straight you hold on raise your butt off the seat and wait for the back tire to smack.

So which is a better scenario? Is there a winner here or are they all losers and you just hope for the best?
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hope for the best and hold on.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Ask the passanger/wife so she can't blame you. <smiles>

Chris

Spyder Garage

It takes a lot of practice to avoid road hazards with the .

Avoidance involves missing it first with either front wheel, then cutting over so that the rear wheel also misses. You have to have enough room for the maneuver as well as some luck. My success rate is about 65%.

If you don't have space to maneuver, then it is hold on.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-02-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default road hazards

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It takes a lot of practice to avoid road hazards with the .

Avoidance involves missing it first with either front wheel, then cutting over so that the rear wheel also misses. You have to have enough room for the maneuver as well as some luck. My success rate is about 65%.

If you don't have space to maneuver, then it is hold on.
    In general I think you are far better off taking the hit with the rear wheel. Any front end hit can foul up the alignment and would have a greater potential to disrupt your steering. The rear wheel is wider (might span part of a small pothole) and the suspension should be able to take most hits without damage..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by desertryder View Post
    In general I think you are far better off taking the hit with the rear wheel. Any front end hit can foul up the alignment and would have a greater potential to disrupt your steering. The rear wheel is wider (might span part of a small pothole) and the suspension should be able to take most hits without damage..

Spyder Garage

I also said that in my post. I totally agree on avoiding hitting anything with either front wheel.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

And remember don't grab on to the grips/handle bars like an awesome prom date. Try and stay cool and remember these spyders are made to want to go straight...so stay cool and hang on tight but light.
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Roadkill can be a fun challenge also.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I totally agree on missing road hazards with the front wheels at all costs. The back wheel is basically like hitting something with a car.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

move from the north to where ever the roads don't ice up.. !

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by one2doo View Post
    Roadkill can be a fun challenge also.
    Yuck! Hit one with the rear wheel. It was a messy, stinky clean-up.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I too agree with hitting obstacles (if you have to hit one) with the rear tire. Plays havoc with your behind, but cheaper than an alignment.

That said, I've also found that I can really relax the rear spring on my RS with negligible effect on my handling, i.e. my Spyder is very sensitive to the front shock settings (I keep them *very* stiff to improve handling), but I've learned that I don't need to jack up the rear shock as high unless I'm consistently riding two-up.

Bottom line: you can probably go a little "Cadillac ride" with your rear shock and you're not going to suffer in the handling department-- but you WILL avoid a lot of bottom-bruising when that rear wheel smacks those potholes.

Spyder Garage

I am glad to see this post as I have been wondering the same thing. My concern isn't so much with potholes, but with 'road gaters' (blown vehicle tires) that may be on the road.

With so much traffic around here, trying to avoid them can be difficult. I am concerned about the low clearance of the Spyder and going over them.

Thoughts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Aim...!!

It's all in how good your aim is...I run the front wheel as close to the edge of the obsticles as possible putting the rear close to the othe edge. If the obsticle is to large strattle it raise up on the pegs a bit and hope for the best. Road kill I just run over, it's already dead and I didn't do it...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Speed up and fly right over, Evel Knievel style!
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the rear rim and tire are stronger but are more expensive when damaged.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree with rear tire and...

the manual says to try to hit the obstruction with the rear tire rather than the fronts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not try slowing down just a little bit, and paying closer attention to the road in front of you?
    When THAT fails: try putting the obstacle just to the inside edge of a front tire...
    ...If it's not too large; you might just miss it with the rear tire completely!

Or ifyour luck is like mine; you'll end up with about 20 quills from a porcupine stuck in your sidewall!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

bob, the edge of a tire has a better chance of puncturing then the tread area, that is why the rear would
    be preferred if you have to hit since the rear has a wider girth.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wasn't going to try and stuff a quill turtle underneath that low-hanging front snout...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops BUMPSKID

I have found this invaluable on roadkill or in case I just created road kill. Plus protects your
    And if you have some fore warning...slow the heck down, throw on the flashers and pick your path!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It is simple for me. I ride behind my wife. If she sees something that needs to be avoided and takes corrected action, then I make the needed adjustments for my spyder. She has a Suzuki C90 Trike so we are both riding on three wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree also. I had the hardest time figuring out what to do when I started riding three wheels. My habit (from 4 wheels) was to split the hole or debris. That didn't work so well sometimes. I found that being left-handed I could thread the needle from the left wheel and the rear wheel better than trying with the right wheel. I usually try that and if it's big enough to not miss, slow down and take it on the rear tire. That has worked best for us.