Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

There is a saddle for every a$$ is the way I look at it.

Spyder Garage

Default A not-so quick diversion before getting back on topic.

Whenever you put out over $20k for something, I figure you are a big boy or girl. You bought your ticket and you can ride it as you like it. I also guess that you could ask 200 riders on this forum "What does touring mean to you?" and get 200 different answers answers.

To illustrate, look at something a little different. When I go through a campground, the disconnect between what I think of camping and all the folks who have dragged every amenity they have at home ( hot tubs, barbecue pits, wide screen TVs, two cars, etc. ) is shocking. Different strokes for different folks. Grandpaspeed is right though, if that is what they want and they enjoy it - it is nobody's business but theirs.

Another example - there is a guy who lives nearby - I see him riding all the time - year around - rain or shine. Back in December, I parked my spyder in the supermarket lot next to him - I was looking over his bike and noticed the odometer, it was over 15,000 miles. It was a 2011 Vespa. His longest trip was to Florida and back to Albuquerque (said with a big proud smile ). That bike would not be my choice, but every time I see him, I shoot him a big Thumbs Up!

( almost back on topic )

The F3 is a great machine - though if you have been following peoples comments, a lot of people with RTs are like; "No way!" as far as touring. But, just like someone else mentioned, when the GS came out, people modified them into touring machines - and a bunch of them are still going. So if you like the looks and seating, go for it - it seems to have an excellent mechanical core, it can be done - it just takes time + money + ability in whatever ratio of those elements you have. In the end you will have a F3 that will not be a F3. The center of gravity will change, you might sway more, the nanny will kick in more, you might need to upgrade the shocks, the aerodynamics will be 'interesting', gas mileage will be down as will performance, and the original bare-bike styling will be obscured. Compromises are a royal pain. If it works for you, that is fine - really that is all that counts. If you love it, none of the above will make any difference to you, that is how love works.

The only time you will hear any disapproval from me is if you want to bend my ear with complaints about how much you had to pay and every little thing that didn't meet your expectations - AND you won't let me walk away without my agreeing with you. I would much rather hear about the kid's trip to Florida on that Vespa.

( now, back on topic )

On the spyder, I just do two Pendleton overnight bags - and maybe a tent - if I am 'touring' - now days my tours are not longer than 3 days. Yes, the F3 glove compartment is not adequate for much. But, I have been surprised by how much I can take along between that and under the passenger seat. Just from looking, I think that is as much if not more storage as I see on a lot of Harleys cruising/touring around.

If you have not toured, I would start out with some fabric saddlebags ( or equivalent like mine ) to discover what really fits your travel needs. Then I would watch for some 2nd hand hard bags being sold ( if you still feel you need hard bags ). Qualities I would recommend are quick connect/removal, lockable, waterproof. Lighted will add some overhead on the quick on and off. The slickest option I saw on getting around that was nylon carry bags that perfectly fit inside the hard bags and you just took the contents with you in those bags.

My BMW 650 GS has two huge indestructible bags ( or storage cabinets as I call them ) I took them off the bike and have never used them.

If you do two up, you will probably have to do a little more rigging than the bungie cord approach I use and it will take more storage than I use. Another option, on long trips, send stuff ahead and then send stuff you don't need back. The hardest thing in touring ( to me ) is cutting down to the basics you need to be safe and as comfortable as possible.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Tom

Thanks,I was just pointing out an alternative set of saddlebags to the ones from BRP with no intentions of stirring up a beehive of negativity. There are as many different ways to customize & personalise a ride whether it's a Spyder, a motorcycle, a car or whatever as there are owners. No two alike. Basically the issue this thread is concerned with regarding the F3 is the cost of the accessories from BRP and looking for alternatives from the aftermarket, not personal opinions on what the F3 should or shouldn't be. Once the aftermarket gets going there will be a lot of choices and alternatives to choose from, no matter which type of style the individual is looking for. Criticizing others for their choices reminds me of owners of a certain brand of motorcycle who put down anyone riding anything but their brand, a very similar mindset in my opinion.

Spyder Garage

I am going with some Nelson Rigg bags for the rear of the bike.. I am not trying to make this an RT since I am keeping my RT, but the frunk only holds rain gear and its full -- even solo ryders can use a little more storage space than the F3 with frunk only
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default SADDLEBAGS

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    Has anyone found any aftermarket saddlebags that fit and work on their Spyder F3?
    I find the OEM solution to be completely worthless for 2 people going on a road trip.
    The Givi bags are really good looking
    Ron

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Really like dguisinger's last post

Good rationale & philosophy dguisinger! I have yet to receive my BRP saddlebags = I like their looks & function w/ the soft bag liners. I have a large 'bikers friend' mounted to passenger seat & will bungee on a duffel bag for overnight trips. Should allow plenty of storage & can easily be taken on or off "The Machine". I don't think it will adversely effect the performance & center of gravity that much...I'll let you know if I ever receive my Can Am accessories!
    Good Day,
    DB Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin after market bags are close

I just checked the Corbin site, and they now have the F3 listed and are showing A current new Corbin Seat for the F3. They also are showing coming soon, the smugglers trunk (hopefully this has the built in drivers back rest), and the Fleetliner saddlebags.
    I hope they look similar to the ST bags following the design lines of the spider beautifully.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by doctorlbug View Post
    I just checked the Corbin site, and they now have the F3 listed and are showing A current new Corbin Seat for the F3. They also are showing coming soon, the smugglers trunk (hopefully this has the built in drivers back rest), and the Fleetliner saddlebags.
    I hope they look similar to the ST bags following the design lines of the spider beautifully.
    Here's a link to the available Corbin F3 goodies: http://corbin.com/can-am/caf3dte.shtml

Spyder Garage

Default YOU MIGHT BE.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Why are you trying to turn a cruiser into an RT ? The F3 is intended to be a solo machine, not a weekend ride for 2. Am I missing something ?
    Missing something.......I just sold my 2014 RT Limited....and bought a FS3....my 2014 was fantastic! I absolutely loved it. It ran flawlessly! I rode the fs3 and felt a lot more at home sitting in it rather than on it. I also really like the increase in performance.

So, cruising mode around town..naked bike! for touring....snap on bags for needed space!
    Its the Swiss Army knife Spyder!.....No question the RT is the absolute luxury queen. Bottom line get the model that fits you best and tweak it to meet your needs. Happy Riding!

Im a younger rider...71

Ron

Spyder Garage

Default I didn't say that .

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Solo machine? For one person? I don't think so. Firstly: It has a dual seat. Second: It has passenger foot pegs.

It is not designed as a long distance tourer in which you can store everything including the kitchen sink! I have friends who have extensively
    toured Europe on a Yamaha F1 more than once, they would be horrified at the prospect of having to ride a 'touring' motorcycle!
    So horses for courses!
    You don't like the F3...fair enough, no-one said you were required to. Strange that you decide to post on an F3 forum when you dislike them so much
    but that is your choice and you're free to exercise that choice.
    But please allow all of us idiots who love the look and the riding position and who are prepared to forego the obvious lack of OEM storage
    capacity to enjoy our new toys without criticizing our taste.
    I can only emphasize that if we all had the same taste we would clearly all ride identical bikes. Biking for me is about having fun and expressing
    my individual preferences and tastes.

Ben, Please don't think for one moment that this is in any way a personal swipe at you. I'm not here to offend anyone but as you exercised your right
    to an opinion I feel OK about airing my right to reply. I don't agree with your view but it wouldn't stop me from buying you a drink at the bar!
    I didn't say " I don't like the F3", read the quote. There was no mention of " disliking them so much", read the quote. There was no mention of" all of us idiots", read the quote. There was no " criticizing our taste", read the quote. No matter how much you disclaim this not being a " personal swipe " , it was.

I had a horrible, untimely and unexpected death in the family on Valentine's day morning and I have been an emotional basket case for three weeks and one day now. I turned to this site as a safe place to get my mind off the grief and loose myself in "Spyderworld". I am in a very fragile frame of mind and this very personal swipe hurt me deeply. I have encouraged, taught, congratulated, and learned on this site. Until now, I've always felt emotionally safe here. No, I'm not thin skinned. I'm just very, very broken hearted.

Spyder Garage

I didn't say " I don't like the F3", read the quote. There was no mention of " disliking them so much", read the quote. There was no mention of" all of us idiots", read the quote. There was no " criticizing our taste", read the quote. No matter how much you disclaim this not being a " personal swipe " , it was.

I had a horrible, untimely and unexpected death in the family on Valentine's day morning and I have been an emotional basket case for three weeks and one day now. I turned to this site as a safe place to get my mind off the grief and loose myself in "Spyderworld". I am in a very fragile frame of mind and this very personal swipe hurt me deeply. I have encouraged, taught, congratulated, and learned on this site. Until now, I've always felt emotionally safe here. No, I'm not thin skinned. I'm just very, very broken hearted.
    Ben... l am so sorry about your loss and my prayers are with you.

Spyder Garage

Default Still Looking

I did some GOOGLE searches and there are a lot of aftermarket saddlebags out there. Too many to list. Leather or synthetic leather soft saddlebags or reinforced in quick detach or throw-over styles. Hard lockable saddlebags in black gelcoat fiberglass or black ABS plastic and either hinged on the side or in the front. Then there are hard saddlebags that are covered in leather or synthetic leather with the same features (often the same hard saddlebags). Sizes run from quite small to good size and some have lights built-in for use as auxiliary turn signals or as brake lights or both. It would be a matter of personal preference or taste as to which set of saddlebags a person might like. My own preference would be toward the lockable hard bags with some sort of quick detachable bracketry. If some computer genius out there could come up with a graphic image of a Spyder F3 and make it so we could put images of different saddlebags on it to mock-up how they would look that would be greatly appreciated by many of us including myself.
    Last edited by den1953; 03-09-2015 at 07:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't leave

Ben Burped
    My unreserved apologies for making your life much harder than it must be at the moment. I had no idea that you had suffered a personal loss.

I have deleted the post concerned and would ask others to delete any quotes.

I shall now have to consider my future on this forum....I feel most aggrieved that I have caused another member pain. It may be better if I no longer post my honest opinions and feelings here. I'll think on it and maybe ask Lamont to delete my account and profile as I believe that everyone should be accountable
    for their words and actions.
    We all have said things to people that if we were aware of what was happening in their personal life we wouldn't say it, so we really should consider everything before we speak. Any other time your post wouldn't have hurt him. Please don't stop posting as your a valued person on this site. What I think is sad is after Ben told all of us about his loss and was reaching out to this site we haven't responded very much on here.

Spyder Garage

Default Please stay

Ben Burped
    My unreserved apologies for making your life much harder than it must be at the moment. I had no idea that you had suffered a personal loss.

I have deleted the post concerned and would ask others to delete any quotes.

I shall now have to consider my future on this forum....I feel most aggrieved that I have caused another member pain. It may be better if I no longer post my honest opinions and feelings here. I'll think on it and maybe ask Lamont to delete my account and profile as I believe that everyone should be accountable
    for their words and actions.
    Please stay. We're fine. Post, share, laugh, love, and encourage. Most importantly, be The Archetypal English Gentleman...Always. Maybe someday we will get to share that pint of ale together. P.S. I'm still a mess, so if you know God, please choose to pray for me. Your friend, Ben.

Spyder Garage

Default OJ UK

No need to leave. You expressed your thoughts. Someone has already deleted his post on this topic because he thought certain people were being as he said Jerk's.
    So OJ UK stay on board and I'll buy you a pint!

Spyder Garage

Deleted my post as well / My sincerest condolences for your loss Ben...

Spyder Garage

Default Thank God Cooler Heads Prevail

I didn't want to get drawn into the conflicting points of view so I just kept trying to get this thread back on subject. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and the dust is settling.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Please stay. We're fine. Post, share, laugh, love, and encourage. Most importantly, be The Archetypal English Gentleman...Always. Maybe someday we will get to share that pint of ale together. P.S. I'm still a mess, so if you know God, please choose to pray for me. Your friend, Ben.

I've sent you a PM, Ben.

Fire's out folks! Nothing more to see here......

ABQSpyder you have yourself a deal!
    Last edited by OJ UK; 03-10-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Cool

OJ UK
    Great actually enjoying a cold one right now.
    Cheers!

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Seat/Back Rest

Spyder Garage

Default Newness

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am with you. Had my 2014 rt for 5 months and loving it. Maybe after the newness has worn off, the aftermarket gets better, and prices have come down, I may consider a trade. But once I get this rt set up the way I want it, it will probable be too hard to part with. So I may just end up with another 2 wheeled scoot in the stable. Only time will tell.
    Mine is a 2011 RT and the newness still hasn't worn off!

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Saddlebags

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    Mike, here's the link to their brackets: http://www.ridebikegear.com/ride-bes...tem-p-232.html
    Mike you have those saddlebags on your F3 , would love to see a pic please. If so where they hard to put on?
    Thanks,
    Niseann

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Saddlebags

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    These have built in lights to use as stop or turn signal and this outfit also has adjustable mounting brackets for them. Here's the link: http://www.ridebikegear.com/rs-hard-...hts-p-267.html
    Do you have these for your F3, if so can I see a pic

Spyder Garage

Default easy brackets

An earlier post from bbloey made use of the easy brackets available via ebay. Maybe someone has used these for hard bags. If so which ones and photos would be nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-AM-SPYDE...-/252299633256

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...f3s-saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Hard bags and brackets

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231854436544...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

yes these will also fit F3S models too.
    Last edited by SpyDerSts; 04-06-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Text addition
    '15 F3S SE6 Pearly White (Hers)
    '16 F3S SE6 Special Series Triple Black (His)