Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Fast RPM's at Idle

I have an SE5 that has been a ball to ride but often wonder if it idles too fast. The display says 1450-1500 in neutral. The dealer says that is normal. But when you put it in gear it SLAMS the gears together HARD!! I expect to see the transmission laying on the ground with fluid running everyone. Again, the dealer says it is normal. Does anyone else with an SE5 feel the way I do?

Happy going down the road in Tallahassee.

Teddi
    TEDDI WATSON

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

My SM5 idles at 1350 rpm +- and slams into 1st. My dealer says that is normal.
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Every motorcycle I've ever owned clunks into first gear- not to worry- - all is well
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

When we got our SM5, I worried a lot because it idled like a top fuel car. Spec is 1,350 +/- 50, I believe. The ECU will try to maintain this rpm, and it is not adjustable by the dealer. It is normal. If you want clunk into first gear, try a BMW (every gear). Hondas are no slouches either. It is just part of the game. You'll get used to it. It is normal, too.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I have an SE5 and it clunks also. I also have a problem with it not idling down low enough at stops - especially after a hard stop. I was stopped at a light - dead still - and the trans was in second gear and would not shift down to 1st because the idle was at 2500. I had to turn the motor off to get in first gear. I've had some shifting problems before and I beleive it is because the idle doesn't stay or hit a constant low enough number. The dealer of course says he has not hear of this problem nor has BRP issued any bulletins. I wonder if it is the speed sensor or something.

Anybody have a clue?

Sypder J
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have experiuenced all the above as well as it will not idle down after a stop. Idles around 2300 for a while before finaly idling down. Spoke to service and they say the same thing. No BRP issued any bulletins. Other than that I love my . You will get used to the little qorks and just enjoy the ride.

Spyder Garage

I have had about two or three isolated incidents of the idle staying high on my SM5 Spyder in the past four months. It was like some part of the throttle mechanism was sticking at that point and not allowing the engine to idle down farther. The idle was stuck at 2,300 - 2,500 rpms. Of course, being I have an SM5, I just let off the clutch a bit with the Spyder in 1st gear while holding the brake and the idle went right down.. When I engaged the clutch again, the idle stayed low, 1,300 - 1,400 rpms. I've just classified it as a minor annoyance for now but if it continues or gets worse, I'll be getting with the service manager to get it looked at and fixed.

The clunking gear shift thing is normal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I have had about two or three isolated incidents of the idle staying high on my SM5 Spyder in the past four months. It was like some part of the throttle mechanism was sticking at that point and not allowing the engine to idle down farther. The idle was stuck at 2,300 - 2,500 rpms. Of course, being I have an SM5, I just let off the clutch a bit with the Spyder in 1st gear while holding the brake and the idle went right down.. When I engaged the clutch again, the idle stayed low, 1,300 - 1,400 rpms. I've just classified it as a minor annoyance for now but if it continues or gets worse, I'll be getting with the service manager to get it looked at and fixed.
    I have had this happen several times now. Acts like a sticking throttle cable or butterfly. It slowly will return to normal, probably from the ECU compensating. It seems worst when you ride, then park a short time, then start it again hot. First few miles it always sticks. I have it on my list for the dealer...if they ever get my other warranty parts.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Like I said, mine has only done this a couple of times. It seems to be random as far as if I've just started the Spyder cold or have been riding for half an hour or have been riding 2 hours. Its always happened when coasting to a stop sign with the clutch pulled in. The rpms drop from 5,000 or so but hang up at 2,000 or so.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i have an SE5 and mine idles at about 1400. I have not had it hold its idle any higher than 1800 and that was after a hard stop.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy High RPM's

I recently bought a 2009 full moon spyder. Runs good except that at 55 MPH the tach shows 4oooRPM's. Is everybodys the same? I ride with my brother who has a Valkyrie. Today we went for a ride and checked gas mileage. I was getting about 37 miles per gallon. Also,I had 87 miles on my speedometer and my brother had 78. Quite a difference. Again, does anyone have the same problem. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
    I recently bought a 2009 full moon spyder. Runs good except that at 55 MPH the tach shows 4oooRPM's. Is everybodys the same? I ride with my brother who has a Valkyrie. Today we went for a ride and checked gas mileage. I was getting about 37 miles per gallon. Also,I had 87 miles on my speedometer and my brother had 78. Quite a difference. Again, does anyone have the same problem. Thanks
    That would depend on what gear you're in. Spyder doesn't much like under 5,000 rpms. 55 mph in 5th gear is borderline--- many do the same-- but I never use 5th until I hit around 70.

You certainly wouldn't want your RPMS to be less than 4,000 rpms in 5th gear as you'd be close to lugging the engine. If you're getting 37 MPG that's really good.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tallyspyder View Post
    I have an SE5 that has been a ball to ride but often wonder if it idles too fast. The display says 1450-1500 in neutral. The dealer says that is normal. But when you put it in gear it SLAMS the gears together HARD!! I expect to see the transmission laying on the ground with fluid running everyone. Again, the dealer says it is normal. Does anyone else with an SE5 feel the way I do?

Happy going down the road in Tallahassee.

Teddi

1350 1450 Is normal,so yours is in the ball park. There's no adjustment that's where it's designed to idle at.
    As far the clunking go's [slamming] believe it or not that's normal too!
    I had a Honda 929 that would sound like a sledge hammer hitting when you dropped it into gear.