Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F3 tech tip

Spyder Garage

Default F3 tech tip

I went to hook up my GPS and I used the aux power provide by BRP but when I turned the key on I had no power. I checked the other power connection and there was no power there either. I then check the F6 fuse and it was good but still no power. Turns out the bike has to be running for the power to work.

Spyder Garage

That is one bad looking ride Lamont
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Great..!!

so now we have constant power, switched power and engine power.. thanks for the tip this could drive the odd diy guys to drinking.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    so now we have constant power, switched power and engine power.. thanks for the tip this could drive the odd diy guys to drinking.....
    I've never seen one wired like that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    looking at the wiring diagram and the fuse box it doesn't appear we have the option to move a fuse either like in the RT.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default Me too . . . .

. . . . . I noticed that when I hooked up my heated vest to the Aux wiring under the seat.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Have not seen the wiring diagram but they could be running it off the alternator. Must have been fun figuring that one out..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PREVENTATIVE

They may be thinking of preventing accidental Battery drainage.........????.....Mike

Spyder Garage

This would only be a guess on my part but some folks are putting on a lot of electrical accessories. BRP may have thought in some cases it could cause low voltage issues during engine crank. The simple solution is to move the switched accessories control to the load shedding relay from one of the mains like in the past. So the accessories socket will switch on and off with the headlights.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default I have not checked . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    This would only be a guess on my part but some folks are putting on a lot of electrical accessories. BRP may have thought in some cases it could cause low voltage issues during engine crank. The simple solution is to move the switched accessories control to the load shedding relay from one of the mains like in the past. So the accessories socket will switch on and off with the headlights.
    . . . but they may have changed some of the parts ( starter, pumps, etcetera) and they might require more initial battery draw at key-in/on and didn't want them over taxing or competing with optional accessories.

I am just guessing, too. The 'new' way works fine for all my needs.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom in NM; 03-01-2015 at 11:37 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . . I noticed that when I hooked up my heated vest to the Aux wiring under the seat.

Tom
    Saw the same thing. When I first hooked the heated gear to the leads under the seat, I thought they didn't work - until I turned the Spyder on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

I noticed that when I installed back power ports.

Spyder Garage

I went to hook up my GPS and I used the aux power provide by BRP but when I turned the key on I had no power. I checked the other power connection and there was no power there either. I then check the F6 fuse and it was good but still no power. Turns out the bike has to be running for the power to work.

Lamont, did you use the accessories cable that is under the console like in the picture? I've had a hard time finding it and getting to work.
    Instead I used the harness that is used to power the BRP handlebar GPS holder (for the New Garmin GPS). That plug is located on the right side under the rider's seat, on top of the small body panel that has the Spyder decal. I think it does power up without turning the engine over.
    Last edited by bullant12; 03-02-2015 at 12:23 PM.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default Hwy Peg in #1 Position?

Lamont
    It looks like you have one of your highway pegs in the #1 UFit position on the Triple Threat. Is that correct?
    I had planned to put the OEM peg there when I replace it with the driver's floorboards. Do you see any reason that wouldn't work?
    Thanks!
    F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Lamont, did you use the accessories cable that is under the console like in the picture? I've had a hard time finding it and getting to work.
    Instead I used the harness that is used to power the BRP handlebar GPS holder (for the New Garmin GPS). That plug is located on the right side under the rider's seat, on top of the small body panel that has the Spyder decal. I think it does power up without turning the engine over.
    I did not use that, wasn't sure where it was till Harvey told me. He didn't get power when he keyed on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slagiatt View Post
    Lamont
    It looks like you have one of your highway pegs in the #1 UFit position on the Triple Threat. Is that correct?
    I had planned to put the OEM peg there when I replace it with the driver's floorboards. Do you see any reason that wouldn't work?
    Thanks!
    I'm not sure you how you would make that work. Mine is a splined peg mount that is right where it needs to be to get on the Spyder without kicking the grabrails.

Spyder Garage

All three of the "customer accessory circuits" have labels attached. The one under the console you just have to find by feel. It is a short cable with no connector. All three run to the same circuit so none will be powered without the engine running. After a quick glance at the wiring diagram I don't think the gps circuit is hot with just the switch on either.

Spyder Garage

I did not use that, wasn't sure where it was till Harvey told me. He didn't get power when he keyed on.
    Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    All three of the "customer accessory circuits" have labels attached. The one under the console you just have to find by feel. It is a short cable with no connector. All three run to the same circuit so none will be powered without the engine running. After a quick glance at the wiring diagram I don't think the gps circuit is hot with just the switch on either.
    I tested the GPS plug last night after I spoke to Harvey about it on Sunday. It goes hot on the key.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I tested the GPS plug last night after I spoke to Harvey about it on Sunday. It goes hot on the key.
    Awesome! Hadn't gotten a chance to put a meter on it. Needed a switched line for another project.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default about the lable

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Do the labels just have random information like BRP AG and a bunch of numbers ?

Spyder Garage

I used the mid point power wire provide by BRP to power my GPS. Have power with key in on position, engine does have to be running.

Spyder Garage

The wire under the right side is wire tied to another wire harness. It is wrapped with black tape. Get a light and you should see it. It is long enough to pull outside when you cut the wire tie.

Spyder Garage

So I'm confused. To power the GPS it needs to be connected under the seat? Or does the "wire" continue up to the capped opening to the right of the key switch?Thanks, Riiiiiiiiiick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All of the factory auxiliary power leads are on the same circuit which runs through the relay and I believe a 10 amp fuse. The engine must be running for power in the circuit. PITA if you want to keep the GPS on so it doesn't have to go through its long start up cycle: I have a 64GB card in my 660 which takes a long time to scan.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

What about wiring straight to the battery? The Garmin supplied wiring harness contains an inline fuse.