Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Hard time deciding!

Hi all,
    I'm in the market for a Spyder and am really torn between the ST and the RT. Apples to oranges, I know. I had a 2010 RS, and ended up selling it to go back to 2 wheels. Now I find that arthritis and my knees have become super good friends, and 2 wheels just won't work for me any longer. So I went looking today to check out the ST & RT and a having a hard time making a choice. I ride with a group, but mostly do day rides, with the occasional long distance ride thrown in. I plan on keeping this ride for a long time, but wonder what everyone rides and if an ST is better for a daily ride vs the RT? Thanks for any advice you all can give to help me with this decision!
    Last edited by Gimpy Girl; 02-28-2015 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Forgot the rest of the post!

Spyder Garage

Given I have the same issue - if you are tall, the RT with floorboards would be the ticket. Under 6', either the F3 or ST are worthy contenders.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

If you want to move up to the 1330 triple, the RT is the only way to go.

I do recommend a test on that platform to see if you like it or not.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some "Saddle Time" may help you settle this out.
    Happy Hunting, and Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If you want to move up to the 1330 triple, the RT is the only way to go.

I do recommend a test on that platform to see if you like it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Some "Saddle Time" may help you settle this out.
    Happy Hunting, and Good Luck!
    You really should try them both out. You'll probably like the 1330 engine.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

On what you were ryding and how your new found friends are affecting your ryding. You do have a third option which is the F3. The test ryde will be your best bet seeing as most folk love what they have or they wouldn't have it.. a lot of advantages going with the triple ( 1330 ace engine in the RT and F3). Love my RS with the V-twin. Good luck...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hard Time Deciding

Please be informed about the maintenance of the 1330 vs the 998. From a maintenance point of view the 1330 is better, easier to do (with the F3) and the interval between oil change is longer. 998 twin uses oil, the 1330 doesn't. Just some considerations.
    2013 ST , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IT'S A NO BRAINER

....with post # 7 above ..........Some questions .....are you a master mechanic ???....can you afford approx. $ 1000 per year in dealer Maintenance ......do you like noise ....gas and oil smells........if so get the ST RS or RSS.................If not get the RT or F-3 ..............I've owned Spyder's with the 990/998 engine and the new 1330 Ace engine .........................and you couldn't give me one with the 998 engine.....................And if BRP stops making the 998 engine ( I think this will happen soon ) well good luck................................just sayin ,Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-28-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sat on an F3 for about 3 minutes the other day, and just had breakfast this morning with the local Spyder group, one of whom brought his brand new F3 which several of us admired. I've ridden my 2013 RT for 13,000 miles. My recommendation is, if want the sporty ride and feel, and somewhat of a "hot rod" buy the F3. If you're into leisurely touring with overnight baggage along, then go for the 2014 or 15 RT.

If money is a significant consideration then look for a used one. If you come across a 2013 RT do your best to make sure it hasn't been a seriously problematic one. In spite of what you read here about all the bashing of the 2013 RTs they are not all super hot boxes waiting to burn up.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Gimpy Gimpy Gimpy my NJ friend.I got a 2014 RT-S in November.You would love the RT and be very happy with it

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool F3

Thanks everyone! I sat on the F3, but it's just not my style. As soon as the snow clears, I'll test ride both to see what fits best. Thanks to all for the advice! Trooper, will be on the lookout for you and your new ride this summer!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where are you in Northern Jersey?
    (I fought the "Battle of Route 206", while serving my collegiate sentence in Lawrenceville...)
    Perhaps a ride can be arranged this Spring.
    And there's always the Chatterbox on Thursday nights...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nobody is going to be able to answer that question. You are going to have to sit on, and ride each and figure out what works best for you. There are subtle as well as pretty significant differences between all the models. Good and bad.
    Good luck with your search!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 ST-L and don't have any gas or oil smells nor any heat issues. I love my Spyder soooo much, it has plenty of git up and go....I have no issues going 85 if I need too. I have no worries about going for a week long trip, plenty of storage and comfort for me. The ST is a more sporty model and I do believe that your knees are in a more bent position than on the RT so that may be a consideration for you. The RT is a bigger bike...more storage and bigger engine. It is more of a touring ryde but obviously would work beautifully for a day ryde. Another thing that may make a difference for you is getting on and off. The ST and RT are both set up a little different and it may be easier on one than the other. As in the previous posts I hope you have a chance to test ryde and play with both.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Get the 1330... If you want more of the hot rod feeling go with the F3. If you want more storage and touring comforts (stereo, wind protection, etc.) get the RT. And, if your wallet allows, get the RT Limited
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Apple, I live in the Wayne area. Not too far from 206. Storm Trooper is a few towns away from me as well, so a ride could shape up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpy Girl View Post
    Apple, I live in the Wayne area. Not too far from 206. Storm Trooper is a few towns away from me as well, so a ride could shape up!
    That makes three of us in or near Wayne

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited