Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Time to replace battery?

Can't find the answer I need so...
    I have an 09 GS. Still on original battery. Always pull battery and on tender in the winter. The last two years I will randomly see "low battery" warning on the dash then it goes away rather quickly when I start moving. Just had the battery tested and AutoZone is telling me it is good at 10.2 volts. Anyone know at what voltage such warning would flash? Maybe once it gets below 10 volts? Maybe something else could cause it? For it being a 6yr old battery I am inclined just to replace it rather than risk getting stranded.

Spyder Garage

I agree, time to replace it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Yeah, replace it. 10.2 is not good voltage and the mag system will not charge it enough to keep it going. Ideal resting voltage should be no less than 12.5 which is about 75% charge.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Agreed 10.2V IS NOT good time to replace. I can't believe anyone would tell you it is OK. Batteries in bikes usually need changed every 4-5 yrs at most they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. You have gotten good use from yours.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I would also recommend replacing the battery. The upside, you got a pretty good life out of yours.

I was in the same position last year when I was on the fence trading the 2010 for the 2014. No issues with the 2010 battery but was afraid that it was getting close to quitting and leaving me stranded someplace. Had I kept the 2010, it would have been a new battery for sure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. Confirms my thoughts for sure. I questioned the guy when he told me that but to him, I was stupid to buy another battery when my current one is "perfectly fine." So whats everyone doing for replacement batteries these days?

Spyder Garage

Default Time for a change...

you don't want it to give out when your out somewhere. You can't even crank these machines up if you drop much below 12 volts. 6/7 years is the high side of life for these batteries. It did you well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do batteries every 5 years in all my machines, whether they need it or not. Batteries are cheap, getting stranded or playing games with jumper cables sucks!.

Spyder Garage

I'm changing the battery in my 2011 RS-S SE5 in April, it will be about 4 years old.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    I have an 09 GS. Still on original battery. Always pull battery and on tender in the winter. The last two years I will randomly see "low battery" warning on the dash then it goes away rather quickly when I start moving. Just had the battery tested and AutoZone is telling me it is good at 10.2 volts. Anyone know at what voltage such warning would flash? Maybe once it gets below 10 volts? Maybe something else could cause it? For it being a 6yr old battery I am inclined just to replace it rather than risk getting stranded.
    check out batteries plus. Spyder batteries are around 90 bucks, with a TWO year warranty. I bought a motobatt battery from their website. I got two that leaked before I got a good one. Never again.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

You got your money's worth out of that one. I replaced mine with an Oddysey PC680.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Does the odyssey fit the same as stock? No mods right?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. Confirms my thoughts for sure. I questioned the guy when he told me that but to him, I was stupid to buy another battery when my current one is "perfectly fine." So whats everyone doing for replacement batteries these days?
    A battery is "perfectly fine" until it isn't . . . and then, you may be far from home, in the rain, with no one around to jump you.

Unless you have no problem with sitting by the side of the road, waiting for a tow truck, replace it . . . replacing a battery before it dies is simply preventative maintenance.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the OEM Yuasa worked this well for this long; why not "keep dancing with the girl that you brought to the Party"?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If the OEM Yuasa worked this well for this long; why not "keep dancing with the girl that you brought to the Party"?
    Nothing wrong with a Yuasa. Spending more does not always equal a better battery it may just be for a longer warranty that both batteries will outlast. Just make sure the replacement is a AGM type and any maintainer you use is rated for an AGM battery.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._glass_mat_agm
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default One year warranty

On the stock battery. At least it was when I bought my last battery two years ago. Two years is harder to come by in many brands. My two years is up recently. Dang.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Nothing wrong with a Yuasa. Spending more does not always equal a better battery it may just be for a longer warranty that both batteries will outlast. Just make sure the replacement is a AGM type and any maintainer you use is rated for an AGM battery.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._glass_mat_agm
    Four years ago when I needed to buy a new battery for my Goldwing I searched various forums. The general consensus was unless there was some really good reason you felt compelled to spend a lot of extra money for an Optima, the Yuasa was hands down the best overall bike battery. My GW Yuasa lasted another year after I thought it was done for and so I carried the replacement for a year in the saddle bag! It actually was still working OK when I finally decided to swap it out before heading out on a 5000 mile trip.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

In the hot climate here in the Tucson AZ and Phoenix AZ areas most batteries do not last beyond 3 years. Sometimes only two if you buy cheap.
    In Seattle they would last 5-6 years. Battery Tenders left on for long periods if you do not have a sealed battery will deplete the water level and begin ruining the battery. Battery Tender is a common phrase used to describe all trickle chargers and not the actual badged "Battery Tender"

Most of there newer and better models have a "float" protection that will shut down and restart automatically when need.

My best guess is you are way overdue for a new battery.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For your 09' just make sure that whatever battery you get is a true sealed battery and is designed to lay on its side. Battery water is a non-issue for your application since you shouldn't be using that type of battery to begin with.

Some replacement lead acid batteries are not truely sealed batteries. You have to add the acid. This is done for storage and shipping. Avoid these batteries.

AGM batteries are almost always a safe choice.

Good luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some won't agree, but I replace my batteries every three years....good or bad. I sometimes ride in west Texas where there is no cell service and remote....if my battery goes down, I could be in deep trouble. I feel the money is well spent.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    Some won't agree, but I replace my batteries every three years....good or bad. I sometimes ride in west Texas where there is no cell service and remote....if my battery goes down, I could be in deep trouble. I feel the money is well spent.

Nothing wrong with that choice or reasoning better safe than sorry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know the difference between the Yuasa YTX24HL and the YTX24HL-BS?

The YTX24HL is stock but when I search for it online it seems to cross reference to the YTX24HL-BS. This just a new model number? Will it work?

Spyder Garage

The BS stands for bottle stock. This is a dry charge battery that comes with a bottle of acid and instructions on adding the solution. I think you can get it already to go from BatteryStuff.com. Braille is also an American made battery that has a two year warranty and comes ready to install.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great info bruiser!. IMHO- I'd avoid the BS battery. While the caps are supposed to seal, it would just make me nervous with the battery on its side and a potential leak at the caps.