Spyder Garage

Default Considering F3. Long time no post or see.

Hi everyone. It has been a long time.

I still have and ride my beautiful GS Phantom with the turbo. I feel like I have it as good as it will get.

Looked at the F3 today. Impressive. Still hate the frunk treatment and surprised at how much smaller it is. The dealership has no performance numbers. Not sure if that 1330 makes the bike considerably faster or not. I am not sure if there are any great windshield options or a trailer hitch. Apparently there is not factory cruise control in this model.

I was also introduced to the Polaris Slingshot. Wild. Same price as the F3. Different experience.

I have read through the forums and I am not seeing a lot of info on the F3 other than wannabe owners and new owners who seem to have no experience with a Can Am. I know Lamont is working on something for Spyderfest. I am not sure if it is just a pretty wrap or what mods he has made.

Can anyone steer me to some more solid info? And are there significant aftermarkets available yet? Or is this like my pioneer days with Can Am where I waited for things to come available over the years?

I know these are broad questions but I know some of my old friends are still out there. And you probably remember my bike so you know I like performance and technology. Oh and by the way, I am living near Austin these days.

Feedback appreciated.

Sherwin.

2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The F3S has cruise and the gearing on the F3 is a little lower than the RT and 200 lbs lighter. Lamont is working on a hitch. Pittbull is working on pipes and running them on the dyno. The aftermarket is just getting going. They discuss the progress on Ryders Edge on facebook friday mornings.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Try it seat of the pants will tell. I've been a member since 2007 and also have my 2008 GS sm5. My F3s will totally kick its ass. My GS has lots of mods. Not a turbo but everything else. Go try one! This is what I been sitting back and waiting on.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear there is cruise. The sales person was not very aware just friendly.

I plan to ride to the dealer and then try it out. They have two on the floor. I know I will want the S. No question on that if I choose to go for it.

Spyder Garage

Performance is probably not going to be much different than your GS with the Turbo. The 1330 is quieter, has more torque, and is comfortable riding at around 3500 rpms.

I am speaking from the standpoint of the 1330 RT and have not had a chance to ride the F3 yet. The F3 is going to be a bit faster than the RT because of size and weight issues. "Official" numbers are still to be determined.

Yes, its kind of back to the good ol days when the GS was at the forefront of the brand.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Austin?!?

Sherwin, I didn't think Texas allowed Okies in. Boy, times have sure changed - but in thinking about it, Austin really isn't Texas, is it.

I see you read my first F3 impressions, so I will only add that they still hold, though now at just under 1k miles, I am getting 32mpg. I am also getting used to the storage - it helps if you think of it as a Glove Compartment. Yes, the windshield is still an issue, but strangely, I am getting used to that too.

I really don't know what the aftermarket is doing, but make sure you look at the BRP site for some of their F3 packages to see if any of the upgrades appeal to you. But yes, the F3-S is the way to go if you want cruise control.

One2doo's post is right - you really have to get it out on the road to see if it fits you. And, I also agree that performance-wise it way outperforms any Spyder I have been on - but then, yours is "enhanced" so the difference may not be so great, but I think it will surprise you - though you will probably still find it different. Just like the F3 looks different, it performs different. It is hard to explain, but you will know what I mean 10 seconds after you leave the dealership on a test ride.

Take care,

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Yes they take Okies here but I never mention I lived in California. lol

The weather turns again tomorrow. Had one of our nice days again. Hope to try it next week.

And if I do go for one I will be creating the first frunk mod. Still hate the nose just not as much in person as I did in photos.
    Last edited by Dochands; 02-25-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

I do have a hitch and it will be getting a 3000 mile test in a couple of weeks. I've also have 34 part numbers for products I will be producing. some of those will be shown in Daytona. As far as performance it's the first Spyder that makes me feel like a kid again every time I get on it. Can't help but smoke the tires everywhere you go and it handles like it's on rails.

Spyder Garage

I knew you would make some cool stuff. And I appeciate your comment about making you feel like a kid. My turbo did that for me on the GS but this seems like a wholly more integrated machine and not just a derivation of a snowmobile. lol

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Welcome back Doc! You disappeared shortly after I joined up! I have an F3-S on order
    and I'm getting itchy waiting for it! The triple is going to be much more flexible than
    the V-Twin and I prefer triples in any case!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

back. I'm not a fan of the new F3 but it looks like a promising machine for those who are. From your post you seem to be ready for a change and would love to see how you make it yours...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post

I still have and ride my beautiful GS Phantom with the turbo. I feel like I have it as good as it will get.

Looked at the F3 today. Impressive. Still hate the frunk treatment and surprised at how much smaller it is. The dealership has no performance numbers. Not sure if that 1330 makes the bike considerably faster or not. I am not sure if there are any great windshield options or a trailer hitch. Apparently there is not factory cruise control in this model.

I was also introduced to the Polaris Slingshot. Wild. Same price as the F3. Different experience.

I have read through the forums and I am not seeing a lot of info on the F3 other than wannabe owners and new owners who seem to have no experience with a Can Am. I know Lamont is working on something for Spyderfest. I am not sure if it is just a pretty wrap or what mods he has made.

Can anyone steer me to some more solid info? And are there significant aftermarkets available yet? Or is this like my pioneer days with Can Am where I waited for things to come available over the years?

I know these are broad questions but I know some of my old friends are still out there. And you probably remember my bike so you know I like performance and technology. Oh and by the way, I am living near Austin these days.

Feedback appreciated.

Sherwin.
    Hey DocHands, long time no hear! Good to hear the turbo on the GS is working for you. Think there are some people here who would appreciate knowing what all goes into a turbo set-up.

Didn't know you had a Phantom. Ordered a F3-S to get back into the cruiser style, but not giving up my '09 Phantom.

As far as the F3 vs. F3-S, the F3-S comes with cruise control, an upgraded seat with red stitching and fancy red stickers. I want cruise control. Tom in NM is your best reference for seat time.

Len from PitBull and Lamont have been doing some dynos on different aftermarket pipes. No information on the results yet.

Don't think this is as pioneer days as years ago. Lamont has add-ons and a trailer hitch he will announce down the road, SpyderPops has a set of F3s he's tinkering with, as well as vendors like SmoothSpyder, Corbin, F4 windshields, etc. are working on ways to make the F3 a better ride.

Now that you're in Texas, have to invite you to HotGlue and FlamingoBabe's "Gathering of the Spyders" BBQ. It's on Memorial Day weekend. Casual, good rides, good people, excellent food. Have eaten lots of different brisket, but HotGlue's brisket is to die for! Hope you can make it.
    Last edited by Yazz; 02-26-2015 at 09:45 PM.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post

Feedback appreciated.

Sherwin.

Great to hear you are doing well and still Spydering. I am waiting to see how they actually perform myself, I am from Missouri and firmly believe in the Show-Me motto. No doubt with the additional cylinder it will be smoother with less vibration and I suspect it will pull better at higher speeds (above 80mph) which is where my gs could use improvements. When you compare the original data from when our bikes came out (not what is being said now by dealers) the F3 only has 9HP over the 08 model and actually weighs about 100 lbs more. I'm waiting to see what happens on the drag strip at Spyderfest before I make up my mind.
    When I heard about this new bike the 1st thing I remembered was our lunch break during the spirited ride 2012 at Alley Springs Park when the guy from Rotax engine, you Joe Thomas and myself spent an hour discussing what we as Spyderlovers wanted to see in the future. I remember he test rode your Turbo and came back with a big smile on his face the rest of the day. I (being a Valkyrie guy) ask for a multicylinder engine with smooth torque, and his comment was we do already make a 3 cylinder engine.
    Don't be a stranger and try to make it to Spyderfest sometime.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome Back

I too don't have any F3 experience, but also do not have any Can Am Spyder ownership experience either. My experience has been limited to three demo rides (2008 GS, a 2013 RT and a 2014 RT) so not much here. What has me excited about the F3 is the riding position and the improved handling with less nanny interference. The styling grows on you as I actually liked it better in person than it looked in pictures. I have sat on one at my dealer a couple times now and anxiously await the end of winter so that I can demo ride it. That will be the part that will no doubt "set the hook" so-to-speak for me. Anyhow welcome back and enjoy the F3 when you get the chance to and maybe you'll get hooked as well.