Spyder Garage

Default Drive belt vibration above 65 mph on 2014 RT

My 2014 Spyder RT Limited only has 4000 miles. It runs flawlessly until I get on the Interstate above 65 mph and there is an intermittent vibration. I was shocked the first time it happened. I read on Spyderlovers forum and figured out that it has to do with the drivebelt vibration and talked with the service dept at the dealership my Spyder came from. Unfortunately the dealership is 600 miles away. I'm just wondering if the warranty covers this. I'm led to believe from the forum that the belt tension or alignment is off. Any suggestions ...and would this be corrected by warranty?

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the same sort of vibration on my 2014 RT limited at the speeds you mentioned... brought it to the dealer to check the belt tension... they said it was "spot on".. so I installed a Belt Tensioner... the vibration on my spyder is G-O-N-E

osml

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Me too,

one would think BRP could have cured this issue by simply selling their machines with a tightener installed. Their price $30, our price to fix their oversight $185. Comfortable ride, better reputation, priceless.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a slight vibration at between 75 and 79 mph. Once I took mine in for the 3k mile service, they checked everything. I assume that they made an adjustment in the belt, but cause now the vibration is gone.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I had the same sort of vibration on my 2014 RT limited at the speeds you mentioned... brought it to the dealer to check the belt tension... they said it was "spot on".. so I installed a Belt Tensioner... the vibration on my spyder is G-O-N-E

osml
    Question: Was any drilling required for installation on your bike?
    (I've got the same year and model here...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No drilling required

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advise gang. I really appreciate it. But I'm still wondering if warranty will make an adjustment on the belt? Has anyone had experience with your warranty covering the belt tension? Because if I'm going to have to pay the dealership to adjust the belt (on a practically brand new bike) I might as well go ahead and buy the belt tensioner :-{ Thanks again for the advise.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Me too

I'm just three weeks into a 2014 Spyder RT Limited. I noticed the intermittent vibrations on a 50 mile trip today -- on good smooth highway. The sensation was kind of like running over really old, worn-out rumble strips on the highway before stop signs. I kept looking down at the pavement to see if I could see any roughness but couldn't find any. I bought it as a "demo" bike with only 300 miles on it. Guess I'll drop by my dealership and see what they have to say. Like others have said, it'd be frustrating to have to shell out $185 for a solution.

Spyder Garage

You are describing exactly what I've experienced (as I mentioned at the first of this thread). It's the same thing. And mine was doing it at 2000 miles as well so I feel sure it was doing this from the factory. My problem is that I got my Spyder from a dealership that is 600 miles away. If I made the 1200 mile round trip back to the dealership, I fell sure that dealership would take a look and maybe make an adjustment if they felt it necessary. But over the phone I get the impression that this is not going to be covered by warranty. And if that is true, it would be very disappointing since I feel sure it was doing this out of the factory. So, if you wouldn't mind, please let me know how your dealer responds (warranty?). Thanks

Spyder Garage

I'm also wondering if BRP is aware of this ...seems like this is not uncommon!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are aware of the belt harmonics issue...

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT did it at 70 mph but now with 36,000 miles on it I don't think it does it anymore. Or I no longer care.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default VIBRATION

I've got a 2013 RTS-SE5 which also has some vibration around 70 mph, I'm thinking of putting a belt tensioner on this spring and hope that fixes the problem..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Default Step 1 : Read the directions Step 2: Follow them Step 3: Ride happily

You can choose to be a victim of " belt issues " or you can choose to purchase a Gates sonic tension meter and a manual. Read and follow the directions and you will amazed at the results. I chose to do this and now whenever I feel belt vibration, I pull in my garage and check the belt. Don't be a victim of dealer BS, take control. It's very empowering. You don't need anything aftermarket to fix this. The only thing I would change in the instructions would be to increase belt tension 1/8 of a turn at a time, instead of the recommended 1/4 of a turn at a time as this is way too much change between checks. Take a "Sharpie" and mark where the tensioner is before you start adjusting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    My 2014 RT did it at 70 mph but now with 36,000 miles on it I don't think it does it anymore. Or I no longer care.
    Sounds good to me. This vibration thing sounds like those of us that do not have it are lucky but it could happen sometime. Could it be a difference in belts or something similar?

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Question: Was any drilling required for installation on your bike?
    (I've got the same year and model here...)
    Bob... no drilling required... you do have to remove some body panels...

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    You can choose to be a victim of " belt issues " or you can choose to purchase a Gates sonic tension meter and a manual. Read and follow the directions and you will amazed at the results. I chose to do this and now whenever I feel belt vibration, I pull in my garage and check the belt. Don't be a victim of dealer BS, take control. It's very empowering. You don't need anything aftermarket to fix this. The only thing I would change in the instructions would be to increase belt tension 1/8 of a turn at a time, instead of the recommended 1/4 of a turn at a time as this is way too much change between checks. Take a "Sharpie" and mark where the tensioner is before you start adjusting.
    Thanks Ben for the tip on the Gates Sonic Tension Meter. Any chance you would have handy a link? Also curious if you had the same vibration issue (above 65 mph)? And what model Spyder do you have?
    Last edited by rtlister; 02-26-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Took my F3-S into the dealership for the issue of vibration, 65-73 mph.... Brp told dealer to double check the belt tension and spacing, both were with in spec. BRP told dealer any deviation from spec. will cause excessive wear on other parts.
    I am not mechanically inclined but wouldn't adding a tensioner or adjusting the belt more cause it to be out of spec. there by causing more issues later
    if BRP facts are to be trusted???? I would like it to disappear, too but wonder if the added tension is hurting something else?
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

I wonder if other bikes with belt drives have these issues?

Does anyone understand the benefits of belt drives vs chain drive. Other than the obvious fact you don't have to grease a belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vrider... 2014 RT LTD.

Spyder Garage

Realize that the Spyder has one of the longest belts on a vehicle in the market. There will be some vibration and they have been aware of it since the beginning. You can either live with it or get a 3rd party tensioner.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage