Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Spyder RT NHTSA Recall Notice

Rather than tagging this at the end of the other long discussion about the recall I decided to start a new thread.

This is what comes up when I put my VIN number into the NHTSA search box.
    Year: 2013 Make: CAN-AM ® Model: RD SPYDER RT 991 SE5 QB 13

Number of Open Recalls: 1

NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
    Recall Date: February 17, 2015
    Manufacturer Recall Number: DLR LETTER

SUMMARY:
    Under very hot ambient conditions and low speed riding, the temperature in the engine compartment may rise and thereby increase the risk of a skin burn or a vehicle fire.

SAFETY RISK:
    Increase the risk of a skin burn or a vehicle fire.

REMEDY:

BRP will notify owners of its intention to repair the vehicle free of charge. However, the parts required to provide a remedy to this conditon are not currently available and will become available starting in May 2015. BRP will re-notify owners when the remedyis available in their area, instructing them to make an appointment with a BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer.

RECALL STATUS:
    Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:
    For any questions, please contact your BRP dealer, BRP at 1-888-272-9222 or consult www.can-am.brp.com.

This recall data last refreshed:
    Feb 23, 2015
    I think we can read into this the fix will be staged around the country over time. How fast is an unknown. Where will they start? Possibly in the hotter parts of the country but who knows at this point?
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-25-2015 at 01:39 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Here you go..!!

Robert Mcghee over on Ca Am Spyder owners has recieved an E-mail from BRP about the recall. They will start the recall in the southern state in May working there way north... Should be hearing from others soon....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

​Just received my registered letter from the dealer I bought the 2013 RT-S from. Same letter as from BRP. I hope a follow up with VIN number is done as I traded it in to another dealer in October. I have no idea who owns it now.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Rather than tagging this at the end of the other long discussion about the recall I decided to start a new thread.

This is what comes up when I put my VIN number into the NHTSA search box.

I think we can read into this the fix will be staged around the country over time. How fast is an unknown. Where will they start? Possibly in the hotter parts of the country but who knows at this point?
    With all the heat issues on the ST, I'm surprised they aren't even mentioned in this Recall. Did I miss something?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Different bike: different fixes...

and they were announced last year...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Different bike: different fixes...

and they were announced last year...
    I'm soo glad I asked

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting.

Chris

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    ​Just received my registered letter from the dealer I bought the 2013 RT-S from. Same letter as from BRP. I hope a follow up with VIN number is done as I traded it in to another dealer in October. I have no idea who owns it now.
    If the dealer you traded it to didn't sell it until a month or two ago BRP's system may not have the new owner in their records yet. That's assuming the dealer processed the change of ownership papers pronto. I think it was something like 3 to 5 months after the dealer processed the change of ownership for my Spyder before I got the BEST update back from BRP. And this was in spite of the fact the dealer did the change of owner online right into the BRP system!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)