Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar removal.

Sway bar removal

Sorry, got this entangled in another post. Here it is again.

OK, old post-new post, I am putting this post out for advice. Been talking to Bob Denman re a klunking sound coming from the front end of my 2013 STS SE5. And yes, I have checked every nut and bolt I can see and reach while trying to determine the source of the klunk. This sound occurs when the bike rocks from side to side and it sounds like it is just in front of the engine, and about mid way toward the center. History: I purchased my Spyder right out of the crate. It started the klunking from the beginning. I asked my dealer about it and asked for an inspection of the front end. He said the sound comes from the sway bar connectors (heim fittings) and that there is no way to alleviate the problem because the fittings do not have grease fittings, ergo it will klunk till it is well broken in. Another try with him sometime later and he just flat out said I was worried about nothing and that there is nothing to be done. I checked with another dealer who is relatively close and he told me that the sway bar poses no problem and that is is a non-essential part. In fact he continued that many riders take the sway bar off so they can better soar around the curves. Bob suggested this problem about removal of the sway bar should be discussed over the forum. Anyone do this? Sway bar non-essential? Same klunking by others, and if so, result in rectifying? p.s. - If this is a repeat of a similar post, just count it to my old age please. I appreciate this forum and all the advice, comedy and chatter that comes across. Sorry also, I do tend to ramble.

Spyder Garage

I don't know if the klunking is coming from the sway bar or not...but it is ESSENTIAL. Do not remove it!
    Unless you are removing it to go with an aftermarket sway bar. You bike will ride MUCH better.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Stay away from anyone who says the sway bar is non-essential! They are unaware or well, stupid. You need the swaybar to keep your spyder from lifting the inside tire on tight turns. The original links are plastic but do not clunk unless they are broken or loose. You must get this checked before you get hurt. It could be anything but the links or the mounts for the sway bar should be checked. There was a recall on the links on some of the 2013 RTs because of breaking. Bajaron makes metal ones as replacements.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424708491.192045.jpgHere is a pic of my stock links.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Default These kind of things can be hard to track down.

But, I am leery of the opinions the dealers gave you. Most people beef up their sway-bars, not remove them.

Can you replicate the "thunk" by rocking the Spyder while in your driveway? If you can, I would take off the body panels and rock it and pin down where the sound is coming from.

Of course, I am also assuming that you don't have anything rolling around in the trunk.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Mine developed a clunk exactly as you describe.
    It was a very slightly loose bolt holding the heim link to the frame. Not the bolt holding the link to the sway bar.
    And when I say slightly loose I mean it! Just a light check with a wrench did not seem loose! Getting on it with some force showed it was in fact loose.
    I am willing to bet this is your clunking.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Klunk

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Mine developed a clunk exactly as you describe.
    It was a very slightly loose bolt holding the heim link to the frame. Not the bolt holding the link to the sway bar.
    And when I say slightly loose I mean it! Just a light check with a wrench did not seem loose! Getting on it with some force showed it was in fact loose.
    I am willing to bet this is your clunking.

Bob
    \
    Have to agree the plunk may well be from the sway bar connections. I swapped for Bajaron's and stopped the klunk and improved the cornering and overall ride. Best little expenditure so far...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since your dealer seems to be suspect in their knowledge, do you know if they checked your links to be sure that they were not in a Service Bulletin? Either way if you want better handling and no clunk get a BajaRon Anti Sway Bar with his billet aluminum heim links. At a minimum I would have the cheap plastic links replaced with the billet aluminum ones from BajaRon.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=thrinsag;938769] Sway bar removal

OK, old post-new post, I am putting this post out for advice. Been talking to Bob Denman re a klunking sound coming from the front end of my 2013 STS SE5. And yes, I have checked every nut and bolt I can see and reach while trying to determine the source of the klunk. This sound occurs when the bike rocks from side to side and it sounds like it is just in front of the engine, and about mid way toward the center. History: I purchased my Spyder right out of the crate. It started the klunking from the beginning. I asked my dealer about it and asked for an inspection of the front end. He said the sound comes from the sway bar connectors (heim fittings) and that there is no way to alleviate the problem because the fittings do not have grease fittings, ergo it will klunk till it is well broken in. Another try with him sometime later and he just flat out said I was worried about nothing and that there is nothing to be done. I checked with another dealer who is relatively close and he told me that the sway bar poses no problem and that is is a non-essential part. In fact he continued that many riders take the sway bar off so they can better soar around the curves. Bob suggested this problem about removal of the sway bar should be discussed over the forum. Anyone do this? Sway bar non-essential? Same klunking by others, and if so, result in rectifying? p.s. - If this is a repeat of a similar post, just count it to my old age please. I appreciate this forum and all the advice, comedy and chatter that comes across. Sorry also, I do tend to ramble.
    [/QUOTE

Once again: METHINKS I'D BE LOOKIN' FOR A NEW DEALER!!!! This one wants to kill you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thrinsag View Post
    Sway bar removal

Wow! I haven't heard this much EXTREMELY bad information from 2 different sources in quite some time!

This is most certainly either very bad Heim Joint Links or loose sway bar bracket bolts. It is quite easy to determine which is the offending part. Not only is this easily fixed, but it should be obvious to anyone knowledgeable about the Spyder. You'd think a Spyder dealership would be able to help you out here. But that is a different sermon!

Email me at fyredad@hotmail.com and I'll get you details on how to locate and fix your problem.

The Sway Bar is a Vital component of your suspension. Though you can ride the Spyder without a sway bar. I don't know anyone foolish enough to actually do this on purpose. I would like to contact one of these 'Many' who have removed their sway bar to get better handling. It will probably be the recovery ward at their local hospital.

"He said the sound comes from the sway bar connectors (heim fittings) and that there is no way to alleviate the problem because the fittings do not have grease fittings, ergo it will klunk till it is well broken in." He starts out well here but the solution (or actually, non-solution) is so ludicrus as to defy a rational answer. Let's just say it's not true and leave it at that.

"Another try with him sometime later and he just flat out said I was worried about nothing and that there is nothing to be done. My question here is; How do these people stay in business? Amazing!

"... another dealer who is relatively close and he told me that the sway bar poses no problem and that is is a non-essential part. In fact he continued that many riders take the sway bar off so they can better soar around the curves. Ok, I sell Sway Bars so I understand that my opinion may be considered biased. I'm good with that. But this is so wrong I am again having trouble getting my head around such insane statements from what should be a reliable source.

Like I said, email me and I can help you get to the bottom of this with a permanent fix. Don't let this go. While it is probably not life threatening, it is important. And who wants a 'Klunky' ride?

Sorry if my replies are harsh. I'm breathing deeply now and I'll be fine in a few minutes...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-23-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I had mine do the same thing. had my wife rock it side to side while I laid hands on each component and I could feel and hear the klunking coming from the left Heim link. I decided to replace them with the metal links and fauna that the lower bolt was loose. I replaced the links and remember my years of aviation maintenance, and the standing rule was to never reuse a fiber self locking nut. Replaced the nuts and have been noise and worry free ever since. I estimate approximately 10000 miles since replacing the links.

Spyder Garage

Default Really..!!!

they said all that..??..!! you have good information above. I would check those nuts and bolts. There are the swaybar mounting points up front as well. There are some bushings and retainers as well. You should have no klunks if all is well up there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 2013 RT Ltd would clunk like that. I traced it down to the sway bar bushings. Locate the bushing and have someone rock your spyder while you put your hand on the bushing. I couldn't see a reason for them to do that but that was my problem. There is a bolt that runs through the bushing and I later wondered if tightening that would have eliminated my clunk but I never tried it. The BahaRon sway bar -which includes new bushings- solved my problems. I also installed new links even though mine were not the problems units. On my '13 the connections on both links were tight along with everything else I could put my hand on.

As has been said, you won't like the drivability of you spyder if you remove the swaybar because it will sway a lot more in a corner or when turning without it.
    2014 Black RT SE

Spyder Garage

Even without being much of a mechanic myself I cannot believe these dealers can put out such bad advice. Surely their mechanics are smarter than this.

Spyder Garage

Default Two part solution!

1. Listen to BajaRon.

2. Run far and fast from anyone saying you don't need a swaybar.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=kep-up;938849]
    Quote Originally Posted by thrinsag View Post
    Sway bar removal

[/QUOTE

Once again: METHINKS I'D BE LOOKIN' FOR A NEW DEALER!!!! This one wants to kill you!

Had the exact same "klunking" noise myself and it drove me crazy until one of our club members rocked my RT side to side and told me what to check. He was spot on correct. If you check (excuse me here as am not a mechanic) the blocks,1 each side, that hold the Sway Bar in position you will find, from memory 2 bolts that tighten this block securely around the Sway Bar and hold it in position. These bolts only need to be slightly loose and you will get the exact noise you are describing. At the risk of repeating myself here they only need to be the slightest bit loose. Oh just to add some more joy to your problem, these bolts don't screw into a fixed nut you'll need to get an open ender in there ( and that's a real bitch) to hold the nut while tightening up the bolt. don't give up tighten all four bolts while your under your Spyder.
    Oh, I was also told by a mechanic at a service centre it was nothing to worry about. Now I know what/who to worry about, when that mechanic, sorry service technician works on my RT.

Hope this solves your "Klanking"
    Cheers form Sunny Australia.