Spyder Garage

Default Gas Cap will not come off!

We went on a 200 mile ride pull into the fuel station and the fuel cap just spins round and round. I have tried pushing down and turning, pulling, but still nothing! Any help would be appreciated.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YEP

Quote Originally Posted by MikeandSandy View Post
    We went on a 200 mile ride pull into the fuel station and the fuel cap just spins round and round. I have tried pushing down and turning, pulling, but still nothing! Any help would be appreciated.
    Not un-common BRP makes garbage gas caps. If your Spyder is still under warranty try a Dealer fix, if not just get some large Channel Lock pliers and take it off.......PS any screw on gas cap will work ......they are really all the same ............Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Happened to us a couple of weeks ago in Disney World. We poured a bottle of cold water over it and it came right off. 2012 RTL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to Spyderlovers what year and model is your Spyder?
    I have seen a few Spyders when driving to Port Angeles to check on our boat that is moored at the PA boat haven.
    In the summer my wife and I will ryde our spyders to PA so we don't have to wait in line at the ferry boat.
    we haven't had any problems with our gas caps on our spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do..!!

I have found in the past on other units that if you squeeze the cap while turning you can get it off. If your very low on fuel in high heat you may have to cool it down. But do go to the dealers and have the cap changed...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

You didn't say what year/type of Spyder you have but it happened twice with our 2011 RT. It was an 85° day and we had lots of heat from the engine and a very strong gasoline smell and I could hear the gasoline boiling in the tank. The second time we had been riding for a shorter period of time and the cap came off within a couple of minutes.

This is what I posted back then:
    We were coming back from visiting relatives on a 225 mile run and stopped for gas and the cap would not come off. It just clicked, it was harder to turn counterclockwise than the normal clicks clockwise but it would not budge. I tried pushing, pulling, squeezing and even giving it a little help from some of the different Leatherman tools but it was stuck. Fired the engine back up a couple of times for a couple of minutes each to see if relieving some pressure or vacuum would help but no. After about 40 minutes I gave it another try and it clicked a few times and then slowly started coming off. After filling I screwed it back on and stopped after a couple of clicks then unscrewed it and it came back off like it was greased with butter, no resistance to speak of. The temperature was around 90° and I think it may have pulled a vacuum.

Our fix was to trade it in on a 2014 RT Limited. Hopefully it won't have all these problems.

Charles
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I posted on another thread the Stant cap number that soled MY problem. The flat seal that stant uses doesn't stick like the O-ring Can Am uses.
    3:16