Thread: First long trip

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default First long trip

I live in north eastern Kansas not to far from Kansas City. In may I plan to do a ride all the way to New Jersey. Visiting some old Navy buddies. Any suggestions as what to take and things I may want to see along the way. Maybe routes I should ride or whatever. Any thing would be helpful. Thanks

Scott (Grumps)
    Last edited by scottnkansas; 02-21-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scottnkansas View Post
    I live in north eastern Kansas not to far from Kansas City. I may I plan to do a ride all the way to New Jersey. Visiting some old Navy buddies. Any suggestions as what to take and things I may want to see along the way. Maybe routes I should ride or whatever. Any thing would be helpful. Thanks

Scott (Grumps)

In Jersey at the gas stations you will not be allowed to fill your own gas tank, watch the attendant carefully so that they fill your tank properly, if going into New York you will not be allowed to pull a trailer thru the Holland Tunnel, you may go through the Lincoln Tunnel, cost $13.00 for your Spyder Plus $14.00 for your trailer if you have one, you are not allowed to take a trailer on the Turnpikes. I learned all of this the hard way last year.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At the risk of stating some of the obvious, these are some of my essentials for a long trip...
    1) Bring old clothes (particularly underwear) that you can trash rather than pack to bring home.
    2) Rain suit & waterproof boots
    3) Small portable air pump, air gauge, fix-a-flat
    4) Basic tools
    5) Definitely bring a spare key (or two)
    6) Some easily accessible cash for toll roads and bridges
    7) A camera - if we can't see it then it didn't happen
    8) Update your GPS
    9) Phone charger
    10) Ear plugs - wind noise is at the perfect frequency to damage your hearing
    11) A list of your medications in case you leave yours in a hotel
    12) Many riders suggest you leave you saddlebags unlocked overnight and bring your stuff in at night (dufflebags in your compartments make that easier). Otherwise, people may damage your bike trying to break in.
    13) A sense of humor. Bad weather, bad drivers shouldn't damage your fun. Take your time.
    14) For this time of year, layers of clothing are more effective than a heavy jacket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    In Jersey at the gas stations you will not be allowed to fill your own gas tank, watch the attendant carefully so that they fill your tank properly, if going into New York you will not be allowed to pull a trailer thru the Holland Tunnel, you may go through the Lincoln Tunnel, cost $13.00 for your Spyder Plus $14.00 for your trailer if you have one, you are not allowed to take a trailer on the Turnpikes. I learned all of this the hard way last year.

Cruzr Joe
    Is Jersey like Oregon where we are not allowed to pump our own gas? Except here in Oregon we can put the gas into our bikes ourselves. They usually won't let us start the pump and they usually insist on handing us the nozzle but then we fill the tank and hang up the hose.

After spending time in the states that let you pump your own gas, I like being able to do that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a link to a good article that was posted today on Girls on Spyders by Faran. http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...rttouring.aspx
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I live in north eastern Kansas not to far from Kansas City. In may I plan to do a ride all the way to New Jersey. Visiting some old Navy buddies. Any suggestions as what to take and things I may want to see along the way. Maybe routes I should ride or whatever. Any thing would be helpful. Thanks

Scott (Grumps)
    Take a lot of pictures
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Default long trip

"14) For this time of year, layers of clothing are more effective than a heavy jacket."

If you are cold natured like I am, there arent enough layers that would keep me warm and there wouldnt be enough room on the bike to take all those layers with me, so I solve this problem by having Gerbing clothing: jacket, pants, socks and gloves-all heated. These will take up less room than layering and will keep you toasty warm. The alternator on the 1330 has more than sufficient juice even at idle. If your hands get cold and dont warm up, even heated grips and gloves dont keep my fingers warm in 32 degrees or lower and keeping the wind off your hands will be more effective, I found Hippo Hands very effective [had to fiddle with velcro patches glued to the handlebars to keep them in proper position].
    Along this line if riding in cold weather a textile riding jacket with removable liner [First Gear, Joe Rocket etc] and riding pants with removable liner [Bilt, First Gear etc] will keep the wind off and make rain gear redundant. A full face helmet, I much prefer the articulated type, is a must for warmth, wind and noise protection and for safety.
    If at all possible I try to find a motel with rooms directly accessible from the outside where I can park the bike in front of my door and see it from my window.
    If you have the time, smell the flowers along the way and take the road less traveled. If not, then the Interstates are the fastest and safest way between two points. When possible enter big cities after the rush hour and dont drive into big cities in the morning rush hours. I use the HOV lanes , legal in all states, because there arent any cagers to your left, then get out of the way of any fast mover coming up behind you and then get back into the HOV lane. Above all dont pi$$ off the cagers, road rage directed at a 4000lb tank is not smart. Pretend the idiot that just cut you off and made you swerve and slam on your brakes is your grandmother and just smile smile.
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the tips so far. I'll be taking this trip in May so I don't think cold is going to be a big factor. Rain could be a real issue. I'm researching good rain suits. I plan on this being the first of many long trips so I want to get good gear.

Scott (Grumps)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the tips so far. I'll be taking this trip in May so I don't think cold is going to be a big factor. Rain could be a real issue. I'm researching good rain suits. I plan on this being the first of many long trips so I want to get good gear.

Scott (Grumps)
    In addition to a good rain suit, consider water-proof boots and gloves. At 60-70 MPH, wet feet and hands can get really cold in the late Spring.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Planning that ride...

Here are a couple of articles that talk about trip planning:

http://www.rk-mass2.org/articles/ww_planning_1.pdf

http://www.rk-mass2.org/articles/ww_planning_2.pdf

Enjoy the planning... it helps your mental health in the winter!

Ride safe.

Bob

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have done some long trips and the best tip I can give is don't pack too many clothes. Socks and underwear don't take much space but pants do. I usually take 1 extra pair of long pants and if it's going to be warm 1pair of shorts. If you forget something there are stores everywhere.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimnsusie View Post
    Is Jersey like Oregon where we are not allowed to pump our own gas? Except here in Oregon we can put the gas into our bikes ourselves. They usually won't let us start the pump and they usually insist on handing us the nozzle but then we fill the tank and hang up the hose.
    Yeah, pretty much. At least the stations I stop at. I travel to Virginia quite often and have no problem pumping my own gas. What gets really irritating is when the attendant is slow as molasses. Put down the phone and do your job!
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default nj gas

I live in north eastern Kansas not to far from Kansas City. In may I plan to do a ride all the way to New Jersey. Visiting some old Navy buddies. Any suggestions as what to take and things I may want to see along the way. Maybe routes I should ride or whatever. Any thing would be helpful. Thanks Scott (Grumps)
    i have lived in nj for 59 and i have never had a gastation attendant try to fill any of my bikes.they dont want to spill any on the paint. i trailer every where, don't know about the tunnel.

Spyder Garage

Cruzr Joe
    Hey Cruzr Joe, do you or any of your friends that Spyder long distances a lot have an alarm on your Spyders when you park overnight at a motel??? Just wondering?? I've never had any problems but always fear the worst. See ya at the BW in April.
    THE BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    Hey Cruzr Joe, do you or any of your friends that Spyder long distances a lot have an alarm on your Spyders when you park overnight at a motel??? Just wondering?? I've never had any problems but always fear the worst. See ya at the BW in April.
    THE BIG F

No alarm, but i carry a big stick

( i am considering an alarm though )

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I use a travel cover when parked for the night. It helps to keep people from sitting on your machine and makes it less tempting to snoop around the bike. Also your ride is dry in the morning.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we have traveled for 20+ years on motorcycles....always cover the bikes at night.....carry a lock....we use gun locks....to lock up helmet...jacket...when stopped to be a tourist.....carry a small umbrella....will reduce sun heat by 10-20 degrees if you get stranded......

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default gear for long trips

Scott (Grumps)
    If you want the best allweather rding gear, take a good look at Aerostitch gear, Roadcrafter is their best one piece or jacket and pants. Motorcycle consumer news did a good indepth comparo or top riding gears and they rated the Roadcrafter the best. I wear mine all the time except when its below freezing, then I use outer gear with thermal liners and Gerbing .
    That said, Harley makes a very good and highly visible rain suit, a bit pricey, but if I didnt have the Roadcrafter that is what I would get.
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

Even if you have a GPS and Smartphone take a paper map. I never thought I needed one and we were coming from Yellowstone and had just entered northern Colorado. The GPS went bonkers and was telling me to go a direction that I knew was wrong and was saying all of a sudden that it was 350 miles to my destination and I knew it was only 120 or so. No cell service so couldn't look it up on the phone. Luckily a friend who was along had an atlas. About 20 miles down the road the GPS was correct again. So I will always travel with a paper map for backup from now on. Have fun. Long trips are great!

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the tips. I know they will all come in handy.

Scott

Spyder Garage

Default Frogg Toggs

I like my Frogg Toggs , they have kept me dry and at a reasonable price

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    I like my Frogg Toggs , they have kept me dry and at a reasonable price
    I agree 100%

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Default Wow!!!

Cruzr Joe
    I love this site already, was planning to pull mine from Ms to Ct in September and had no idea about the trailer pulling restrictions..

That is valuable knowledge........Thanks........