Thread: DSS WARNING

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DSS WARNING

Anyone else out there with an RT get a "DSS" warning? In a parking lot, put key in igniton, everything lights up normally. Then the pic of the key in orange with that warning. No way it is going to fire. Messed with it a while (only have 1 key as I am not too far away. So call my dealer and while they are deciding what to do it fires. So home I go. Now it is in my driveway and will not start with either key. So Call dealer again and they will pick it up under warranty next week. I am very happy this @^%$ did not happen when I took it to NY.
    I assume that it has something to do with the "chip" in the key. But maybe not. Any feed back is welcome.
    LRW

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by namknight View Post
    Anyone else out there with an RT get a "DSS" warning? In a parking lot, put key in igniton, everything lights up normally. Then the pic of the key in orange with that warning. No way it is going to fire. Messed with it a while (only have 1 key as I am not too far away. So call my dealer and while they are deciding what to do it fires. So home I go. Now it is in my driveway and will not start with either key. So Call dealer again and they will pick it up under warranty next week. I am very happy this @^%$ did not happen when I took it to NY.
    I assume that it has something to do with the "chip" in the key. But maybe not. Any feed back is welcome.
    LRW
    Same thing with my 2014 RT Ltd. At dealer now awaiting a new DESS module (this communicates with chip in key). Should be fixed middle of next week. This has also happened to a few others in the past. Doesn't seem to be an overly widespread problem - just happens, I guess......

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

there is an issue with the ignition switches on the 14's and the dealers should take care of it. Should have let you know if your s is one of those affected..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default DESS Issue

Had the same issue a two weeks ago with 3000 miles. Left me stranded at work. Dealerships have received a bulletin in the faulty DESS module. Dealer ordered a new one from Can-Am and called me when it came in. (Took 5 days to get part...not too bad!) Took 1.5 hrs to replace and no problems since. Continue using original keys. Problem is intermittent. Bike would start off and on. You just never knew when you would be stranded. When I could start it, I would go for rides without turning off the ignition. Used kill switch to stop bike at gas station and without turning off ignition, pushed down on key and turned clockwise and seat released allowing me to fill tank. Just couldn't see myself being a prisoner to a problem DESS module. Get the Spyder Codes app for your phone. Coolest thing to come down the pike in awhile. You go into the dealership sounding like a Spyder expert. Hope this helps and alleviates your concerns. Ride on.
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

I am having that problem now myself with 2014 RT. Dealer service writer said they replaced the switch prior to delivery. I just turned 3000 miles and scheduled for that service this week.
    It started after I had locked the bars once last week. Now intermittent DESS KEY error. Move the bars left and right sometimes helps. Fiddle with the key sometimes helps. And most of the time, taking key out and waiting a few minutes solves the problem. Never know when the error will show up.
    Very anoying.

EDIT: Now I am getting DESS ERROR

EDIT: After clearing all codes by maintenance, no more error.
    Last edited by sscheuer47; 03-10-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    2014 Pearl White RT, TriAxis handlebar, BaJaron Bar&Links, Spyderpops belt guard, bumpskid & stainless grilles, Seal Dlx boards, JT's Dash Mount, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, HMT brake, TricFender led's, mudflap lights, air horn, Squared Away laser alignment

Spyder Garage

Default dss warning

My 14 rt-s did this to me while on vacation. If you pull out the key and wait a minute or two and then try again it will work. Might have to do it 2 or 3 times but it never left me stranded. Had dealer replace key switch when I got home. No problems since

Spyder Garage

Default DESS problem

Quote Originally Posted by sscheuer47 View Post
    I am having that problem now myself with 2014 RT. Dealer service writer said they already performed the service bulletin. I just turned 3000 miles and scheduled for that service this week.
    It started after I had locked the bars once last week. Now intermittent DESS KEY error. Move the bars left and right sometimes helps. Fiddle with the key sometimes helps. And most of the time, taking key out and waiting a few minutes solves the problem. Never know when the error will show up.
    Very anoying.

EDIT: Now I am getting DESS ERROR
    Not sure what the service bulletin entails but my DESS module was defective. This involves a communication problem between the key and the DESS module or the DESS module and the ECM. My service writer saw the bulletin but still ordered a new module. Some have had their ignitions replaced. Not sure what role the ignition switch plays, if any, in this communication loop but replacing the DESS module has worked for me. Hope all who are having this issue get through it as smoothly as me. Good Luck. Safe riding.
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

I just has the dreaded DESS error while it was parked in the garage. Had to push into a trailer to haul it to the dealer. They say they found a loose wire going to the DESS module. I'm not quite sure how a wire just comes loose, but they say they plugged it insecurely and all is well. Time will tell....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well the dealership came and picked mine up 2 day. Of course, it worked fine. It has been sitting since Sat. I kept trying it now and then work onetime,next time not. Just too much technology in my opinion.

Spyder Garage

technology is great when it works
    2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Does any know if their is a recall on this issue?

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 and I have not had an issue and I have over 3,000 miles. Thanks for letting us know. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Redundant security technology

I wish someone would come up with a way to get rid of this useless feature. My key would not turn anyone else's ignition anyway so what good is this DESS module???
    I had mine replaced about 2 months ago and it is again beginning to give this key error warning (twice now in the past week or so). Ridiculous nonsense. Let's find a way to get rid of it totally!!

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

Back in 2012 I was on tour with a bunch of bikers and we stopped for a drink. Come time to get back on the road my RT flashed up an orange engine symbol and refused to turn over. One of the bikers I was with, a truck driver by trade, suggested I should take the ignition key 30 or 40 yards up the road, come back and try again. I was already embarrassed at being the only Spyder owner. Now I was the only broke-down Spyder owner. I was doubly embarrassed that the group were in such good spirits while they waited patiently for me to get my thee-wheeler started. I was entirely sceptical that this walk-away-with-the-ignition-key charade would work, but it DID!

Shazam!!! The engine turned over and ran as sweetly as if touched by an angel. Instantly all was forgiven. The truck driver came over wearing a smile as wide as as his face. "It's a well known fix for the modern trucks of today, Geoff, most are fitted with transponder keys and they are known to have their off-days!"

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Key walk????

I wonder------

I never leave the key in my . It's den is a good 75 feet or so away from the key hook. So, I wonder if those of us who get the DESS light and disable remove the key when ever we shut off the ???

If I ever get the DESS light and no start there will be-------

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

The key walk myth.

Both types of transponders used before and after model year 2014 are not battery powered. So they do not have a range of more than inch or 2 from the transponder antenna located around the ignition key switch. So to carry the key off in any direction more than that is a waste of effort.

The DESS unit only looks for and communicates with the transponder chip in the key after the ignition key switch is first turned on. So after the ignition key switch is turned off, the DESS does not know or care if the key is in the switch or not.

What is true is for some types of fault codes it may be helpful, to change the fault status from active to occurred, is to turn off the ignition switch for more than 20 seconds, 30 would be good.

So all this BS about taking out the key. Carrying it 30 feet away for 10 minutes is just a waste of time and effort.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Key walk myth

OK--- The Key walk is a myth.

So many modern cars have a simular system and we certinaly don't hear about "DESS" like problems with autos. So other than using a hammer to fix the problem ( how I fix my tablet when is acts up) What do we do???

Kaos

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    OK--- The Key walk is a myth.

So many modern cars have a simular system and we certinaly don't hear about "DESS" like problems with autos. So other than using a hammer to fix the problem ( how I fix my tablet when is acts up) What do we do???

Kaos
    Take it to your dealer and they will prob order and install a new DESS module. Had one put in mine last week after repeated issues of not starting........
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

So all this BS about taking out the key. Carrying it 30 feet away for 10 minutes is just a waste of time and effort.
    Look, I go with what works. If some genius told me to carry a lucky rabbit's foot to ward off electro/mechanical issues with my Spyder, I swear there'd be a 3-legged bunny limping around our neighbourhood tomorrow!

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Smile Bells

Guess more of us need gremlin bells
    Kaos

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Look, I go with what works. If some genius told me to carry a lucky rabbit's foot to ward off electro/mechanical issues with my Spyder, I swear there'd be a 3-legged bunny limping around our neighbourhood tomorrow!
    I suggested on another thread that doing the chicken dance while waiting would be a good idea.

https://youtu.be/6UV3kRV46Zs

2018 F3 LIMITED