Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default College Student Writing a Paper

I am taking an English class and I am required to write an evaluation paper.
    I have chosen to write about the Can-Am Spyder and compare it to a two wheeled motorcycle.
    I need input on why you chose the Can-Am, what you like best about it, and one thing you dislike about it.

Feel free to send a personal message or post your comment here.

Please, this is for a paper so serious answers only.

Thank you in advance!

Spyder Garage

I chose the Spyder for safety reasons and design ,Over a two wheeler. Also my wife absolutely will not ride on a two-Wheeler. In my opinion conventional trikes don't handle as well so I went with the spyder. What I like best about it is the confidence it gives you while riding you feel very stable and in control, and not have to worry about laying down a heavy machine.
    The only thing I dislike about it,is some problems I am having with my model year of 2013RT.
    If you read on this site you will see the 2013 RT are having some issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stability is great, increased visabilty was also a factor. Also love all the extra storage, don't have to pick which gear you are taking. Braking is fantastic and I feel that taking a passenger on the Spyder hardly produces any difference in handling compared to a conventional bike.
    Had concerns about future damage to components due to heat but feel better now that they gave me the new panels with increased air flow.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Saluda; 02-18-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Fun...!!

could say for all the other reasons you will read but I loved the roadster at first sight, looked like fun and has proved to be all that and more. I later found out about the many safety features this machine has. Can't say I dislike anything about it. I have the original style with no bells and whistle cause I ryde it for unadulterated fun...good luck on your paper...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i looked at it for it's safety, abs with all wheels braking together, the vss so i don't tip & i really love
    the look. i am also happy that the wheels for the front are held on by lugs so i can take them on &
    off. oh, storage on my rt-s is far better then a 2 wheeler

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should definitely read the first post in this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

It will contain a lot of info on the differences between a Spyder and 2-wheelers.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Though you have asked for owners. I would like to put in a few words from someone who seriously considered a Spyder, but decided to stay with a two wheeler. I ride a GL1800 Goldwing and after an accident I seriously considered getting a spyder. I am a contrarian by nature, and its uniqueness is a big draw. The biggest advantage though is with the safety of the platform. ABS and Traction control as standard, no worries about going down as a result of gravel etc. Options and cost are comparable to the best two wheelers.

It is obvious that though for many the Spyder is as fun as a two wheeler, just different, it is that difference that is the fatal flaw for us. We enjoy riding the twisties, and with a well matched rider and pillion, the whole experience is like dancing. You move as one with the bike and your ability to negotiate the twists and turns well is directly commensurate with your ability to "dance". It is the loss of the interaction in leaning and the dance that was the primary reason we decided to stay on two wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brianm73 View Post
    I have chosen to write about the Can-Am Spyder and compare it to a two wheeled motorcycle.
    I need input on why you chose the Can-Am, what you like best about it, and one thing you dislike about it.

Thank you in advance!
    Hey college student - yu didn't leave your name or school but that's OK. I'm on my 3rd Spyder so I guess you can say I really like the product. I started with a 2010 model, traded up to RT Limited 2012 model. then last year traded for a 2014 RT Limited cuz a liked the bigger engine and 6 speeds plus some other features. but back to the Spyder. I had ridden 2 wheelers for many years and then none for several years. when I first saw the Spyder product I got interested in riding again. after a short test ride I got REAL INTERESTED and purchased one immediately. they are fun to ride, safe, don't fall over, comfortable for driver and rider. lots of bells & whistles AND we have met a super bunch of great Spyder owners (very unlike the 2-wheel people?) sorry, I just had to say that.
    Looking forward to many, many miles of smiles. I have PMS right now - that is Parked Motorcyle Syndrome cuz it's winter time here in Nebraska!
    good luck on your paper
    THE BIG F

Spyder Garage

Im with about everyone else. I had 2 motorcycles, a sport bike and a cruiser i used for taking the wife or daughter out on rides. I sold the cruiser and got the spyder because its safer than a standard motorcycle. No worrying about falling over, no worrying about the weight, or most important an errant patch of oil or sand will no longer send you into a wreck. For 2 up its even more safe because the passenger can do a dance or have a party on the back seat and it will not bring you down like is possible on 2 wheels. Add in the standard ABS (which some bikes have) traction control etc. and its just all around safer.

I still have my sport bike for riding by myself and i love it but i only use it for weekend canyon runs. For running errands or commuting or anything else the spyder is the way to go. As for the comments about the 2 wheeler being more fun, i kinda agree, not so much that its MORE fun but just a different kind of fun, however if a sport bike is 20% more fun and a spyder is 80% more safe i think safe should win out if your only going to have one, but that could be because i am old and have a kid lol.

what dont i like, the gas mileage kinda sucks even my sport bike gets better mileage, the riding position on my RS i would like to be more like an RT, i dont see the need for leaning forward on these compared to a sport bike.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bug's zedi View Post
    It is obvious that though for many the Spyder is as fun as a two wheeler, just different, it is that difference that is the fatal flaw for us. We enjoy riding the twisties, and with a well matched rider and pillion, the whole experience is like dancing. You move as one with the bike and your ability to negotiate the twists and turns well is directly commensurate with your ability to "dance". It is the loss of the interaction in leaning and the dance that was the primary reason we decided to stay on two wheels.
    This is exactly why I enjoy riding the Spyder -- I learned to lean on the spyder into the twisties to prevent the nanny from intervening. This probably looked really stupid on the RT, and maybe just a little less on the F3, but I have yet to hear from the nanny on the F3. I came off motorcycles and enjoyed the lean (I'd lean so far to scrape the footpegs), but I enjoy the lean just as much on the Spyder.

The look of it was the first draw for me, and then learned about the safety features after the fact, but I knew that I could ride it all winter long and not worry about ice/snow/gravel in the mountains like I would have to with 2 wheels.

I have no dislikes yet.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Writing a paper

Well, for one thing, I am not overly fond of loud sound barrier cracking motor noises such as many of the regular bikes and even the trikes. I started with a Suzuki 800 which was nice, quite, and not a hellion on the road. Then I went to a VTX 1800 Honda. It popped, bellowed, and sputtered so loud I was embarrassed to ride downtown. But, and it is a big but, I had a couple of heart attacks, bronchial pneumonia, and lost a lost of ability to hold a two wheeler up. Plus, I got the STS SE% so I don't have to remember to downshift at stops and other neat little traffic jams, it is stable enough to hold me up without putting my feet on the ground, and the sound is just enough to let me know the motor is still running without having to suffer the eardrum spltting Black and Deckers, . . . oh I'm sorry, I meant the Harleys and Davids. Hee hee hee! I will say my wife will not get off her Suzuki C90 trike. Each one to his/her own taste?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brianm73 View Post

Thank you in advance!
    Well my story starts back in 1970, I was riding my 750Honda on I-95 in West Palm Beach Florida, when I was broad sided by atruck.When I woke up I was in theweeds, at the hospital they told me that I had a broken left hip, left knee, abroken collar bone and the doctor said it was a good thing I was wearing ahelmet due to the fact that the helmet was cracked and scraped up.After I recovered, I bought a Honda SliverWing and due to the fact that I couldn’t hold up a two wheeler I put trainingwheels on it.That’s how I got the roadname Scooter.Then one day in 2010 I meta guy who had a Spyder he let me get on it, the next day I bought a 2010 black RTS,when the 2014’s came out, I traded it in.I now have a 2014 cognac my wife and I love it, we went on a 1,200 mileride to NY pulling a trailer.After oneyear I have over 15,000 miles on it and we look forward to more rides aroundthe country.I hope this helps==AL /Scooter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mods= luggage rack, rear trunk shelf & Mirror

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

For me at first it was the unique look. Now ,besides that , I think that it's safety features and the ability to start, stop and ride safely without worrying about one of my knees giving out and dropping me. Quite often I have been behind 2 wheelers in slow traffic and watched them struggle to maintain balance. Not on a Spyder!
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

This thread seems familiar. I'm sure it is not the first time it has appeared here.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

The Can-AM Spyder RT is the best option available for "touring" with my wife as a passenger. A+ for comfort, reliability, stability, ease of use, and convenience (accessories and storage options)
    It's a great touring package.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Arthritis

We bought ours because my wife still wanted to ride with me but her arthritis was getting too bad for her to continue to ride on the back of our 2-wheeler. So now when we ride together she is on the back of the Spyder. When I ride alone I am usually on the 2-wheeler. Best of both worlds for me.

Spyder Garage

Been riding two wheels since I was 16, 53 now. I've always wanted one because they're unique and a real head turner. Everything else mentioned in this thread is just gravy.

And I'm being absolutely serious.
    Last edited by HIspyder; 02-18-2015 at 11:54 PM.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

I ride scooters most of the time, my wife rides the Spyder. I do grab the Spyder keys when I can, as I find it kinda fun to ride (in its own way) compared to a two wheeler. A lot of people become a 2 Spyder family, but I still like my scooter just a tad bit more. On the Spyder I think the gas millage is terrible, it requires a lot of maintenance-that's complicated further because of all the panels, it's very noisy on the freeway from the front tires sticking out, huge turning circle and I think the rear trunks are kinda small. Do I regret owning it? Nope! It's not a cage (aka-car), it looks cool, has plenty of power, very comfortable, safe and easy to ride. I do have some complaints about the scooter too, as nothing is truly perfect! Overall I think my wife and I did pretty good with our riding choices.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    This thread seems familiar. I'm sure it is not the first time it has appeared here.
    Now that you say that I believe you're right.

Spyder Garage

I realized that I had lost a "step or two" somewhere along the way over the past 30 years. <smiles>

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I choose the Can Am over conventional bike because I have a bad back and and 4 herniated discs in my neck. it is the most stable bike on the market in my opinion. I ride it daily to work and on long rides on the weekend without any fatigue or pain. The one thing I found to be a little anyoying is the brake squeak form time to time. other than that I LOVE my Spyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default THANK YOU

My name is Brian and I am attending Clark State Community College in Springfield, Ohio.
    Thank you all again for your input!

PrairieSpyder, thanks for the tip on the other post!

Stay Safe and Lets Hope For Some Warm Weather Soon!!!!

Spyder Garage

Bought the first one (2008) because it was new, innovative, and I just had to have one.

Number two (2009) was more of the same, but for the spouse.

Number three (2010) was the new and innovative RT (touring version). Got Premier Edition #474 that time.

Number four (2011), now a sure thing, was for the lady friend.

Number five (2014) was the new and innovative RT with the 1330 ACE triple engine.

I do not have any mechanical complaints over 112,000 miles on the brand. They are expensive to buy, and the maintenance is higher than a lot of motorcycles. The new 2014 has lower maintenance though.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As you can see, there are lots of reasons people like Spyder's. One reason that is frequently missed is: "I don't know why. I just like it." I like chocolate, and beer, and blondes too. I don't know why.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Here is one i forgot to mention and i am surprised no one else mentioned it as things they like. They are kind of related, one is parking. I now longer have to worry about parking on a hill or incline when im on the spyder. On my Yamaha i have walked blocks because i refused to park on some hill. Second is REVERSE, its really nice not to have to lug my cruiser backwards anymore and worry about dropping it etc when going backwards or just looking stupid lol. Now just pop it in reverse and away i go!
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40