Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default My GPS is worthless

Howdy gang,

Why have a touring model with a POS for a GPS???

I have a 2014 RT LTD that came with a Garmin Zumo 660. I like the ease of being able to take the gps off of the bike but I really hate the fact that you can't see anything on the screen in sunlight. I tried adding a Glare Stomper but that was a waste of money. I would like to get a replacement for the 660 that you can actually read in sunlight and would probably opt for a bigger screen. It looks like the mount that is on my RT is wired in so something that would fit that mount would be nice too. If the thing was not waterproof, no biggie. I will pull over and stick it in the trunk at the same time that I put my wallet in there when caught in the rain.

Anybody got suggestions?

Bill
    The Woodlands
    Texas

Spyder Garage

There are a couple of aftermarket "screen protectors" that provide decent solutions for that problem - there are also sun shields, that fit around the outside of the GPS.

Some folks rely on the audio directions from the 660 - running through the stereo..
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

have you tried to adjust the angle ? I found it helps..

osm

Spyder Garage

Default New Garmin Zumo 590LM

Quote Originally Posted by peterparker View Post
    Howdy gang,

Why have a touring model with a POS for a GPS???

I have a 2014 RT LTD that came with a Garmin Zumo 660. I like the ease of being able to take the gps off of the bike but I really hate the fact that you can't see anything on the screen in sunlight. I tried adding a Glare Stomper but that was a waste of money. I would like to get a replacement for the 660 that you can actually read in sunlight and would probably opt for a bigger screen. It looks like the mount that is on my RT is wired in so something that would fit that mount would be nice too. If the thing was not waterproof, no biggie. I will pull over and stick it in the trunk at the same time that I put my wallet in there when caught in the rain.

Anybody got suggestions?

Bill
    The Woodlands
    Texas
    Bill, the new 2015 RTL come with Garmin bigger better GPS. I was looking at 2015 but got a sale deal on 2014 so got the 660 also.
    look at the 590LM specs. Pretty sure same mounts.

Terry
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    There are a couple of aftermarket "screen protectors" that provide decent solutions for that problem - there are also sun shields, that fit around the outside of the GPS.

Some folks rely on the audio directions from the 660 - running through the stereo..
    How do you do that?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    How do you do that?
    if you turn off any Bluetooth connectivity on the Garmin, it sends voice navigation to the audio system. That's how I have mine set up.

Spyder Garage

I have the 660 and gps Bluetooth to my Sena headset in my helmet. I also have my phone, music and intercom to my Sena. Hands free operation.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your GPS is fine...
    If you put a 25" screen down in the middle of the handlebars; you'd STILL have sunlight and glare keep you from being able to read it.
    Get one of JT's mounting brackets, and just place it up on top of the dash...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Probably the real question is, regardless of brand or model, what GPS will work well in direct sunlight?

I have several Garmins, two for hiking, two car Nuvis and the 660. None are great in direct sunlight and all require me to angle the screen.

Since the Garmin came with you machine, did it include the entire accessory kit items as if bought separately?

We got the BRP Garmin kit, and while it provides the same setup as yours, it also included RAM mounts and the adapter to fit the RAM mount to the oem BRP Garmin mount.

If the BRP wire harness were longer, you could easily move the Garmin to be placed on top of the glareshield with one of the currently sold flat brackets that uses the two existing screws.

This is one example, there may be others.

http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index...&product_id=50

PK

Wanted to add, having thought about this a moment, adding in extensions to each harness would be pretty simple and done right simple plug and play.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On a previous bike I had a Garmin Zumo 550 (I think), and I've used a TomTom Rider model. It seems all LCD screens have the bright sunlight issue. I liked the way I could create my own color scheme on the TomTom because I was able to create one with with higher contrast, but it was still not very usable in direct bright sunlight. Just the nature of the beast.

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure all GPS' have an issue with direct sunlight.

I mounted mine under the dash fairing and this solved it for most the time.
    Only time there is a problem is when the sun is at my back and able to get between me and the GPS.
    I am very happy with this placement.
    In my opinion it's also easier to see while riding as you don't have to look down at your handlebars.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...V-outlet-video

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Your GPS is fine...
    If you put a 25" screen down in the middle of the handlebars; you'd STILL have sunlight and glare keep you from being able to read it.
    Get one of JT's mounting brackets, and just place it up on top of the dash...

With the device mounted on the handlebar, tilting it down would make it hard to see while trying to watch the road. With the device mounted above the dash, instead of on the handlebar, it's closer to eye-level, it's easier to see every time and tilting it down in sunny conditions won't keep you from seeing the screen.

[I almost "disliked" your post, Bob!]
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Many moons ago

I did this to fix the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    States Judy and I have visited so far on the

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dash Mount

I'm a fan of the top of dash location for the gps. On my '13 RT Ltd I rerouted the cable, disassembled the dash and mounted my gps as in post #13. The cable runs along the right side of the spyder and the connections are at the right rear corner of the fuel tank. I believe the '14 RT is routed the same way. I have a '14 RT now and intend to mount my zumo 660 using JT's dash mount and a 6 inch ram arm to bring the gps out to the edge of the dash. I'll also add a hood to reduce the glare. Link below for the hood and JT's mount. Btw, the mount for the 660 and the new 590LM are not the same per the Garmin website.

http://www.priushood.com/gazu660665su.html

http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index...&product_id=50
    Last edited by cbell1; 02-18-2015 at 11:36 AM.
    2014 Black RT SE

Spyder Garage

Something I have noticed is when I am riding "into the sun", if the GPS angle is not right, I get tremendous refection of my high vis jacket! I have to admit a black jacket would be a pretty good fix, in that situation!!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    [I almost "disliked" your post, Bob!]
    I've also been having trouble with this adjustment...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm NOT a fan of putting anything in my line of sight (dash top), but that's just me. I've had a Garmin 500, & 550 on various bikes, with the 550 on my 2010 RT - and found the bar mount to be satisfactory 95% of the time. On my 2014, I have a Montana, which is FAR better in bright sun, but not perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

After reading several complaints about sun glare on GPS Screens, i tried something and while it is not perfect, it helps quite a bit.

Get a small sheet of dark window tint and apply it to your GPS Screen, and turn the GPS brightness all the way up.

It is not perfect but it works. (as far as i can tell)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    if you turn off any Bluetooth connectivity on the Garmin, it sends voice navigation to the audio system. That's how I have mine set up.
    I never turned any Bluetooth on, but maybe it's on by default. I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I'm NOT a fan of putting anything in my line of sight (dash top), but that's just me. I've had a Garmin 500, & 550 on various bikes, with the 550 on my 2010 RT - and found the bar mount to be satisfactory 95% of the time. On my 2014, I have a Montana, which is FAR better in bright sun, but not perfect.
    I am with you there as far as on top of the dash... This is why I found a happy compromise and that is just "under" the dash to the side!
    Benefit is you get a "sun shield" most the time except when the sun is behind you and to your left.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default My GPS is worthless

Had the 590 installed on the F3 and love it! Today I ordered their Elite camera, going to be a nice combo.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Default Member or Troll?

OK peterparker you started this thread and there have been 20 responses, many with questions and/or suggestions and it has been over 24 hours without a response from you. I was about to offer my suggestions then got to wondering if you were just trolling?

If you have been too busy and/or away from a computer or smartphone then fine but you start a "worthless" thread early in the evening and folks start responding within 12 minutes and you are nowhere to be found?

Your thread is worthless if you don't participate!

Charles
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle GPS

I have lots of frustrations with my Zumo and moved to this GPS

http://www.zoozmc.com/#!product/prd1...s-5%22-zg-5050

Sunshade will not help much since the Zumo screen is not bright enough and doesn't have enough backlight.

You can also get some more information regarding the advanced modern software at:
    This message was sent between rides

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At the risk of asking the obvious - do you have the brightness on your GPS turned to 100%? Mine sometimes resets itself to 20% (I have no idea why).

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    OK peterparker you started this thread and there have been 20 responses, many with questions and/or suggestions and it has been over 24 hours without a response from you. I was about to offer my suggestions then got to wondering if you were just trolling?

If you have been too busy and/or away from a computer or smartphone then fine but you start a "worthless" thread early in the evening and folks start responding within 12 minutes and you are nowhere to be found?

Your thread is worthless if you don't participate!

Charles
    Sorry Charles. I should really be more on top of complying to your demands. Regardless of the reason that I am just now getting to read all of these posts, I don't think it is any of your damned business how long it has taken. Who the hell are you, the response police???

To everyone else, thanks for all of the suggestions. I appreciate them and will explore the options that you all have given me.