Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default trade

I would be ok with them trading my 2013 for a 2014.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    She says the bike is a '13 STS...
    That answers it then. That is not the upcoming RT fix, at least as far as we know since BRP hasn't let the cat out of the bag yet about what the fix is.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I wonder if that's what happened here in the first place. The tests may have simply been done in colder weather, so nobody caught the issue and since the engine that was intended for that frame had more power nobody figured that the older engine would actually create more heat?

The only thing I know is that I run a business and no matter what I do something I didn't even see as a potential problem jumps up and bites me in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I believe that the early test riders said they were tested in Canada. Not a great place to find heat issues.
    The 2013s were tested by Spyder owners in Canada, I'm sure that BRP conducted testing at their site in Arizona also. I hope that they use the test site in the summer and not just in the winter. But who knows.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is a better picture of that panel...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

My guess is that we'll know for sure in May.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Guys, those photos of of the 2014 Spyder ST and the updated panels were made available to 13 ST model owners last year. Old news other than something similar may be in the works for the RT.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    so what if they were willing to give you .... let's say $5k plus your bike for a 14. Would that work?? Seems to me that would cost them a lot less plus every owner should expect some deprecation.
    I would accept an offer to trade up for a 2014 or 15 for $5k additional. It would also cost me the $$ for blue paint but I'd live with that.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post

Also, several members have been told by the dealer that the upgrades have already been done. If one is available, I would like to get a parts list to them to give them some ammo with their dealers.

As it stands, I would do at least exactly what the article and BRP says about prolonged idling and cool down before going into an enclosed area. Makes a lot of sense to me...
    As is usual for the CanAm dealers, they have not a clue. They can't even be bothered to read the letters BRP sent them. As for the idling, that is a traffic condition, not a choice. If my bike catches fire because it cannot idle in Houston traffic, I am NOT accepting responsibility for improperly using the bike. The recommendation on not riding the bike in conditions above 85 deg or in slow traffic is useless unless they plan to issue loaner bikes in the southern climates. I am not parking our 2013s until May or June when the 'fix' might be available. BRP just does not get it. They seem to expect me to continue making payments on the bikes.......

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

if this new fix is extensive the dealers are not going to be happy. i am pretty good friends with my dealer and when he changed out my ignition switch he showed me how much time BRP wrote for doing it and it was no where near what it took him to do it. so i am sure a high volume spyder dealer won't mind too much but a dealer that only sells a few units a year is going to hurt doing the fix.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default high temps

I am in Houston, Texas, it is a traffic nightmare like many major cities with the exception of temps being above 85 degrees probably 75% of the year with high humidity and our rush hours are usually about 6 - 7 hours a day. so if I want to ride my Spyder I cannot follow BPR'S ride under light non stopping for long periods of time in slow or stop and go traffic which is a way of life here. I already had an incident where it got so hot that the water hoses blew and a wrecker had to come get it and take it to the dealer. Hot weather will be here soon so I hope they get their fix soon!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    if this new fix is extensive the dealers are not going to be happy. i am pretty good friends with my dealer and when he changed out my ignition switch he showed me how much time BRP wrote for doing it and it was no where near what it took him to do it. so i am sure a high volume spyder dealer won't mind too much but a dealer that only sells a few units a year is going to hurt doing the fix.
    John, I have no problem believing you are absolutely correct about that. But it seems to be typical of most warranty payments. Manufacturers seem to believe that dealers and franchises should share in their losses. I can tell you from my own experience that it happens frequently in service industries also.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    so what if they were willing to give you .... let's say $5k plus your bike for a 14. Would that work?? Seems to me that would cost them a lot less plus every owner should expect some deprecation.
    It will be interesting to see what transpires if there is any type of buy-back. No matter what the terms, I can still see not everyone happy. The pain and suffering proponents will kick in then.

Maybe an engine change? Were the 2013's made to be equipped with the 1330 at first? That would still be very expensive, but not as bad as a full buy-back.

IMO: I do not see a buy back as being the final option.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Maybe an engine change? Were the 2013's made to be equipped with the 1330 at first? That would still be very expensive, but not as bad as a full buy-back.

IMO: I do not see a buy back as being the final option.
    I agree that there will not be any sort of buyback. And an engine upgrade, even if it were possible, would also be way too expensive. Obviously, if either of those were in the works, the current interim recall notice on the 2013's would not have been issued at this time.

IMO, what seems the most likely solution under consideration is body panel changes, a fan or two, some changes in the fuel system, and some other minor tweaks.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-03-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But... it's still all just a guessing game right now.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

the picture of the vents that were posted looked really nice, but having said that they still won't help in stop and go traffic. personally i really don't see a good fix for the problem. i fell this is a attempt to quiet the government for a lil just to say they are trying. i still don't see how some bikes have the problem and some don't.

has any of the problem bikes been checked for vin numbers to see it the bikes with heat problems came out of the same batch of bikes made in a certain amount of time, could there have been a problem with a batch of engines made during a period that the specs were off but not enough to trash the lot so they were installed in bikes and the others engines were corrected ???. we will soon find out I GUESS
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I spoke to this Darren guy from BRP personally I've spoke to him before, don't care for the guy.... he seemed like he was reading from a card, and quite frankly couldn't give a crap,, the only thing he had to say was they are committed to fixing it and that's what they will do. he made it clear there are no buyback no special deals no special pricing what you get is what everyone gets. And if you had a few really crappy riding seasons with their toaster oven he basically said in a nutshell...to damn bad. we will fix it and if you want to sell it go see your dealer. The guy knew we had the conversation about the hot bike and he played dumb so I said so what do you have to say to yourself now.......no comment, once again it was like talking to a wet cardboard box

Spyder Garage

Default brp outlook on issues

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    the picture of the vents that were posted looked really nice, but having said that they still won't help in stop and go traffic. personally i really don't see a good fix for the problem. i fell this is a attempt to quiet the government for a lil just to say they are trying. i still don't see how some bikes have the problem and some don't.

has any of the problem bikes been checked for vin numbers to see it the bikes with heat problems came out of the same batch of bikes made in a certain amount of time, could there have been a problem with a batch of engines made during a period that the specs were off but not enough to trash the lot so they were installed in bikes and the others engines were corrected ???. we will soon find out I GUESS

My RT and the wifes RT were at opposite ends of the 2013 production run. Both have the exact same symptoms. With our help they are not so bad to ride now but the fuel stench is as bad as always.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    My RT and the wifes RT were at opposite ends of the 2013 production run. Both have the exact same symptoms. With our help they are not so bad to ride now but the fuel stench is as bad as always.
    JC,

Most of the work I've had done was aimed at reducing the heat around the seat and, more importantly, reducing the heat applied to the fuel tank. In some cases, the same "fix" helped both. I seem to have successfully eliminated the fuel stench, but I won't know for sure until this summer. (Work I've done is listed in "My Mods" link in my sig.)

Of course I realize that I live in Pennsylvania and you live in Texas. That makes a BIG difference. I firmly believe location is the main reason we get so many varying reports about the severity of the problem from various 2013 RT owners.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    JC,

Most of the work I've had done was aimed at reducing the heat around the seat and, more importantly, reducing the heat applied to the fuel tank. In some cases, the same "fix" helped both. I seem to have successfully eliminated the fuel stench, but I won't know for sure until this summer. (Work I've done is listed in "My Mods" link in my sig.)

Of course I realize that I live in Pennsylvania and you live in Texas. That makes a BIG difference. I firmly believe location is the main reason we get so many varying reports about the severity of the problem from various 2013 RT owners.
    We have done most of the same items. Some I took further. There is still just too much heat applied to the tank.

I think the fuel varies from different areas of the country as well but don't know which are worse as far as fuel vapor pressure.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have all but taken care of my heat problem with the removal of the Primary Muffler and wrapping most of the pipes. I still plan to remove the two shields from underneath as recommended. Now the only thing that BRP can do better is combine the Primary and main Muffler into one unit and insulate the exhaust pipes and headers.

Spyder Garage

I too have talked to BRP about minor heat issues. Mainly heat on the right side. I have installed a block off plate, and removed the bottom panels from my bike. I also have raised the passenger floorboards as high as they go, to help my wife's right leg. I haven yet experienced much for boiling gas, and very little fumes. When I did talk to BRP, they seemed very disinterested in any discomfort I mentioned, almost like they didn't believe me. I know there will be no cash offered or any buy back, I never expected that, but I would like to see the correct front end, with dual radiators, to move that heat off ones right foot and legs. I would also like to see the pipes routed forward and under ( I'm not sure it's possible). More than likely we are going to see pipes wrapped, maybe some shielding on fuel tank, and a different venting system. I don't think they are going to spend a lot of money, probably 500 dollars or so per bike. I don't have a lot of faith in this company, as far as helping the people that are really having the most trouble. I had a 2010 RT that was a total nightmare. Luckily, I found a great dealer who helped me, when the company wouldn't. That's the reason I even tried another Spyder. I hope everyone is satisfied with the results, only time will tell.

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i received my Safety Recall letter today basically just says the same as on the first post no mention of what the fix is yet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dslim View Post
    I too have talked to BRP about minor heat issues. Mainly heat on the right side. I have installed a block off plate, and removed the bottom panels from my bike. I also have raised the passenger floorboards as high as they go, to help my wife's right leg. I haven yet experienced much for boiling gas, and very little fumes. When I did talk to BRP, they seemed very disinterested in any discomfort I mentioned, almost like they didn't believe me. I know there will be no cash offered or any buy back, I never expected that, but I would like to see the correct front end, with dual radiators, to move that heat off ones right foot and legs. I would also like to see the pipes routed forward and under ( I'm not sure it's possible). More than likely we are going to see pipes wrapped, maybe some shielding on fuel tank, and a different venting system. I don't think they are going to spend a lot of money, probably 500 dollars or so per bike. I don't have a lot of faith in this company, as far as helping the people that are really having the most trouble. I had a 2010 RT that was a total nightmare. Luckily, I found a great dealer who helped me, when the company wouldn't. That's the reason I even tried another Spyder. I hope everyone is satisfied with the results, only time will tell.
    i agree with you that buyback or engine change has about a zero percent chance of being any kind of option. The more i read posts on the forum the less likely i am to buy another spyder and may not have bought this one had i been reading all these before hand. I hope i do not have my leg burning off when the summer comes. I thought i was going to come home with a stump riding my brothers 12 RT in high temps it was so bad. Its quite obvious there was either none or not enough hot weather testing on any of these models.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Default BRP not informing dealers about the 2013 RT recall

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi KennW,

Thanks for asking - yes, in fact, this recall will apply to owners of 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT model worldwide, including Australia. Once I have more information on how the recall will be deployed in other countries I'll let you know right away.
    Hi Steve,
    I have just returned from our trip to Tasmania on my 2013 RT Ltd, 7,000 klms and 5 weeks away from home, I had no problems with the Spyder over the entire trip except it got very hot on three occasions, mainly in slow traffic on hot days in Sydney and Melbourne, other than that it performed perfectly. Only mishap was that we got hit by a kangaroo leaving Cradle Mountain in Tassie, no damage to the Spyder, hit the trailer.

Just to let you know, on my return I got onto the dealer at Springwood Suzuki to see if there was any information about the recall. He had no knowledge or information about the recall, I guided him to the recall information on the web page. He was still in the dark. When are BRP going to let the dealers know about this recall? given it will be world wide and I assume a reasonably big bit of work that the dealers need to carry out. I would like to think that this will be completed before the summer as the Spyder is just about un-rideable during Queensland summers. Also there seems to be a lack of information about exactly what will be done to the RT's as part of the recall, I can understand that BRP don't want to put it out there to let every one comment now that they have a solution, but a letter with the details to owners would be a good step in the right direction.

Paul B