Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    Wife and I have been riding our 2013 RT in Florida for two years with no heat or any other problem. If it was a design flaw I would think many more riders would be effected.

We are a LONG way past IF. Just because you have not noticed the problem does not mean it does not exist. BRP and the NHTSA have investigated and determined there IS A DESIGN FLAW. If you don't want the fix, its your choice but there is no longer a discussion of IF there is a flaw with the 2013 RTs.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We are a LONG way past IF. Just because you have not noticed the problem does not mean it does not exist. BRP and the NHTSA have investigated and determined there IS A DESIGN FLAW. If you don't want the fix, its your choice but there is no longer a discussion of IF there is a flaw with the 2013 RTs.
    Well said!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

As of 9:50 am Eastern time, the recall has not been posted on the NHTSA site.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Looks like pre-2013's we will continue to have to deal with the gas stink. It is well documented!

I can tell you what happens or at least happened to me.

Got my 2011 and had no gas stink problem.
    Then the first summer I noticed boiling gas and stink on some hot days over 90F especially if I got stuck in traffic.
    I do ride mine every day 64 miles round trip for my commute to work.

First time this happened it went away until the next time a hot day and traffic.
    After a few times of this happening, now every time I ride it no matter what the temps of the day are and even if the gas tank is not boiling, I have gas stink when I park it REALLY BAD!

Bottom line what happens is after a few times of boiling gas the Evap canister gets saturated and cannot do it's job anymore.

So to fix it, you have to go to the dealer and get the purge valve checked/replaced if needed, and the Evap canister replaced UNDER WARRANTY!

That will fix you until the next few hot days and boiling gas happens and the Evap canister gets saturated again!

Then once your warranty runs out, you can argue the problem with your dealer about this is a constant problem and even though your warranty runs out, BRP needs to replace it free. Hopefully BRP will continue to do this after the warranty runs out but I doubt it. When that happens, time to do a canisterectomy. Oh which is illegal in some states to do (like Ca.).

So it appears us pre-2013 owner are stuck dealing with this under warranty, and then fighting it when out of warranty.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Looks like pre-2013's we will continue to have to deal with the gas stink. It is well documented!

So it appears us pre-2013 owner are stuck dealing with this under warranty, and then fighting it when out of warranty.

Bob

The emissions components warranty is much longer than the bike's 2yr warranty.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Spoke to BRP this morning they are supposed to email me what they plan to do with my bike I was told....I'll wait for that email

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by anthony422 View Post
    Spoke to BRP this morning they are supposed to email me what they plan to do with my bike I was told....I'll wait for that email

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Where have you been hiding? The 2013 STs were the FIRST ones to have this issue addressed...
    Did you forget about the new bodywork, and ECM re-flashes?
    But did they really FIX the issue?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was only addressing the issue of the "forgotten" status of the ST...

But; I DO think that their corrective measures have been largely effective, and I base that opinion upon what I've read in here...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Cricket Cricket

So, I directly and respectfully asked @BRPcare twice in this thread about the gas fume issue and my 2012. Sadly, it looks like BRP is going to ignore my question and safety concern.

The silence does say a couple things. First, that BRP and the NHTSA are not looking into this gasoline fume issue. Secondly, by not even acknowledging the question I (and others) posed, it lends credence to what others have said - that they do not care. It is unfortunate that it may take a house fire, injury or death before the NHTSA and BRP acknowledge the problem and recommend a solution.

For those that will have resolution through the latest recall, and that thank BRP for 'stepping up', I do not believe it to be willingly or for altruistic reasons. They acted more so because their hand was forced with the threat of fines and penalties by the Canadian and US governments. I tried to keep an open mind but admit that I am disappointed and jaded now...
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Genet View Post
    Hi Steve,you never answered my last three emails about my not being able to ride my bike because of the heat on my feet and the fact that my wife would not ride with me because of the heat/safety issues.
    Because of that I traded the furnace in for the F3 and took a $6000.00 loss not to mention the money I spent to get it to the point I could ride it .
    Will the people who have lost time and money be compensated by BRP?
    Gene T
    Ok that is never going to happen. Second you must have some faith. The F3 has barely hit the streets, its certainly not been hot enough for anyone to report heat issues on it yet and who knows what other problems it could have. I hope there is no issues but after being screwed by the last one im surprised you were willing to take that kind of hit for another one. I do think its ridiculous not to address this problem will all the years/models
    I just recently got my 2008 and have been noticing the gas smell when i return from a ride. At first i thought i was just imagining it but its definitely there, it has had all its recalls done but these posts have me concerned about riding it in the summer now as it can get pretty hot here. I have not had any heat issues so far with this but i have not ridden in heat yet. i almost burned my leg off on my brothers 2012 RT so i know what the heat issue is. I can tell you where this whole problem stems from.... Building and testing these models in Quebec where the temp never rises above 80, if they are lucky!

They should have sent one down to AZ or someplace for a year to be tested, if they had they would have noticed the fact you can get your damn leg burned off and the gas smell you would have to imagine. Well i hope this fix at least helps out the 13 guys who seem to have been the worst off.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

I am at a loss for words on the news that there is going to be a fix for the 2013 rt heat problem. Yes, We did own a 2013rts and did have all the problems that have been stated. My 13 did have the heat dissapation kit put on it as a try to fix the problem. It did not fix all the problems. After running the number of adding a new intake system and removing the Cat. along with the 3000 mile service we decided to trade it in. We were going to wait on the 2015's ,but with not that much differance between the 14 and the 15. We choose the 2014RTS instead. After taking a beating on the trade and throwing more money at it. We are very happy with our 2014RTS. Smoother, Quieter, and better Gas mileage.
    For those of you who have stuck it out I hope the this is the fix to correct the problems.
    For those of us that traded. I will always wonder if there was no heat problem. What would have been my trade-in really worth?????????

Ride Safe and Have Fun.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Not Fixed

I have not been hiding! I have had the body panels replaced and ECM re-flashes done with hopes it would fix it. Sad to say it didn't! I refuse to spend more money on a new air cleaner and a cat delete to try again to make the heat problems go away when BRP should fix it. My wife won't even get on it anymore because of the heat problems and gas smell! Tried to trade it in on a F3 only to find out that in 9 months the value decreased 50% which made us upside down on it. So now we have a garage ornament!
    Where have you been hiding? The 2013 STs were the FIRST ones to have this issue addressed...
    Did you forget about the new bodywork, and ECM re-flashes?
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    I just recently got my 2008 and have been noticing the gas smell when i return from a ride. At first i thought i was just imagining it but its definitely there, it has had all its recalls done but these posts have me concerned about riding it in the summer now as it can get pretty hot here.
    I have a 2008 which I purchased new. I used to get the gas smell; but, not all the time. BRP sent out replacement gas caps from model year 2008 to I don't know. Since the gas cap was replaced I've had no more gas smell. Of course, maybe not overfilling the gas tank causing spill over into the canister may have also stopped the problem, at least for me.

The only serious heat problem on my 2008 was almost burning my hand when touching the 'Y' panel (just ahead of the seat). On the 2008 and 2009 GS models, some Spyders had 'Y' gaskets that failed early, and that caused the 'Y' panel to heat up. As far as the heat on my right foot (in hot weather), it's bearable, and not a real issue to me.
    Last edited by wyliec; 02-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Raknid;937263]So, I directly and respectfully asked @BRPcare twice in this thread about the gas fume issue and my 2012. Sadly, it looks like BRP is going to ignore my question and safety concern.
    /QUOTE]
    They started this thread to address the problems with the 2013 models.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    I have not been hiding! I have had the body panels replaced and ECM re-flashes done with hopes it would fix it. Sad to say it didn't! I refuse to spend more money on a new air cleaner and a cat delete to try again to make the heat problems go away when BRP should fix it. My wife won't even get on it anymore because of the heat problems and gas smell! Tried to trade it in on a F3 only to find out that in 9 months the value decreased 50% which made us upside down on it. So now we have a garage ornament!
    Well; you've got yourself a $20,000 or so dollar paper weight, and a Better-Half who won't be caught dead on it...

...Why WOULDN'T you want to fix it?

Sorry... This is about the only conclusion that I can find.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; you've got yourself a $20,000 or so dollar paper weight, and a Better-Half who won't be caught dead on it...

I'm glad you finally said it. If I had said it I would have just been called names and saying I have a bad NJ attitude. ...[emoji12]

Spyder Garage

Talking My washing machine doesn't have spin cycle this long!!

Denman...in any other post you'd have been peddling ice cream and cake by post 3.

Give the folks a break.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I'm just not having one of my best days right now...

We've got somebody with an ST complaining in a thread started about a fix for RTs...
    ...And we've got a 2012 RT owner wanting answers in a thread started about 2013 models...
    I'm just confused...

By the way; it's "Bob"...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-19-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I'm glad you finally said it. If I had said it I would have just been called names and saying I have a bad NJ attitude. ...[emoji12]
    Wel; you DO have a bad New Jersey attitude...
    And just wait until you see what they start calling me!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing to prove to anyone and no need to feel liked.....I just call it as it is....and a lot of people need thicker skin.....especially on the forums.
    There's a LOT of whining that goes on here....much more than most other forums.
    Anyway-

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;937295]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    So, I directly and respectfully asked @BRPcare twice in this thread about the gas fume issue and my 2012. Sadly, it looks like BRP is going to ignore my question and safety concern.
    /QUOTE]
    They started this thread to address the problems with the 2013 models.
    Yes... but we were all encouraged to contact the NHSTA and log issues, regardless of year, as all heat and fire concerns were being looked at. I even phoned the agency and they requested all years. I am sorry mine did not fit in the box... and happy that you are not affected.... but I still have real issue, Bob.
    2012 RT-SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh; I believe that your bike has an issue with fumes.
    But why?
    Is your evaporative canister getting raw fuel in it?
    do you have a problem with boiling fuel?
    Did you overfill the tank?

There ARE things that can be done to solve the problem...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Raknid;937343]

Yes... but we were all encouraged to contact the NHSTA and log issues, regardless of year, as all heat and fire concerns were being looked at. I even phoned the agency and they requested all years. I am sorry mine did not fit in the box... and happy that you are not affected.... but I still have real issue, Bob.
    I spoke at length with the NHTSA and they were definitely looking at gas fumes on all model years.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

A little harsh don't ya think Bob. These are real problems. Try to remember what it was like prior to your 2014.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick