Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Hi jaherbst,

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Don't get too exited about this. I think it is the same thing I was a a volunteer for in August.
    1. One exhaust shroud
    2. Drilled 50 holes under seat at the rear
    3. Side vent deflectors (which I had already bought)
    This did absolutely no good to solve any of the Heat or Gas fume problems for those of us who participated in this experimental program for BRP.
    Thanks for your comment. While we can't go into detail just yet, I can assure you what we've been working on is not what you describe above or some sort of band-aid fix, but rather a viable solution which is now in the final validation phase. BRP is fully committed to getting all this deployed with as little delay as possible. We'll be able to provide more info shortly.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 02-17-2015 at 11:48 PM.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't get too exited about this. I think it is the same thing I was a a volunteer for in August.

1. One exhaust shroud

This did absolutely no good to solve any of the Heat or Gas fume problems for those of us who participated in this experimental program for BRP.

After Pitbull deleted the CAT and the above program did nothing I traded for a 2014 with none of the Heat and Gas Fume problems. This Major design problem will never be solved by all these Band Aids. It Will take a Major Design change or retrofit with the 1330 engine that BRP is not willing to finance. Meanwhile they will continue to string everyone along and give them false Hope IMHO. I do have a licensed flight and mechanical engineering back ground but by no means am I an expert.

A lot of money has been wasted by owners trying to solve BRP's mishap. The 2013 RT was to have a new frame and the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission. At crunch time the 1330 Engine and Transmission were not ready. BRP decided to use the 998 engine in the new frame designed for the 1330 engine. There in lies the major problem. The 998 was barely able to fit properly due to the higher frame and less space and placing the exhaust and engine too close to the gas tank. It was this decision that has caused all the heartburn for a lot of us and cost us an arm an a leg. For those in the northern climes the problem is less due to the lower mean temps. BRP told us this as we were doing research to try to solve the problem and learned the problem was worse on the 2013 than the 2010, 2011, 2012.

Jack

Jack,

Don't hold back Man, tell us how you really feel.

Having said that, I am glad I have a 2012 RT so I don't have this problem. Owners who have had to spend their own money to fix this problem should be reimbursed, especially since BRP has admitted, or forced to admit, that there is a problem.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lagaffe View Post
    ​ALLELUIAAAAAA !!!
    Ahhh, a Leonard Cohen fan.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

1. One exhaust shroud

After Pitbull deleted the CAT and the above program did nothing I traded for a 2014 with none of the Heat and Gas Fume problems. This Major design problem will never be solved by all these Band Aids. It Will take a Major Design change or retrofit with the 1330 engine that BRP is not willing to finance. Meanwhile they will continue to string everyone along and give them false Hope IMHO. I do have a licensed flight and mechanical engineering back ground but by no means am I an expert.

A lot of money has been wasted by owners trying to solve BRP's mishap. The 2013 RT was to have a new frame and the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission. At crunch time the 1330 Engine and Transmission were not ready. BRP decided to use the 998 engine in the new frame designed for the 1330 engine. There in lies the major problem. The 998 was barely able to fit properly due to the higher frame and less space and placing the exhaust and engine too close to the gas tank. It was this decision that has caused all the heartburn for a lot of us and cost us an arm an a leg. For those in the northern climes the problem is less due to the lower mean temps. BRP told us this as we were doing research to try to solve the problem and learned the problem was worse on the 2013 than the 2010, 2011, 2012.

Jack
    after reading this BRP said, WELL THERE GOES THAT IDEA we need to try something else now because jack laid out our fix. i spent and lost a lot of money on my 13 rt and even thou i now i have a good bike with the 14 i still hold a lot of anger for what i went through and the beating i took in the loss of money.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Question

BRP,

i for for one love my 2013 RTL, just under 20000 miles in a year and a half and I expect to put a lot more on it this year. We have plans for some long trips this spring and I was hoping that we can get a slightly better Idea of when the fix will be available, and how much shop time will be involved in the fix. Thanks for taking the time and and investing the resources to find a solution to what fortunately has been a tolerable issue for me at least. My wife drives the Spyder too and she has had some minor burns on her legs from Ryding but that was resolved by her wearing some riding pants.

Again BRP, thanks for stepping up, and I sure I will take some grief from the haters on this board but I love my Spyder and I look forward to more awesome times on my RT.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    We have plans for some long trips this spring and I was hoping that we can get a slightly better Idea of when the fix will be available, and how much shop time will be involved in the fix.
    The timeframe mentioned on the Transport Canada page for the recall is by May; and we don't anticipate it being any different for the United States. As for shop time, as soon as there's an accurate estimate available I'll post it here.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

As I've said before, it takes a lot of time and effort to (1) find the root cause of a problem, (2) develop a fix that works, and (3) validate the fix. This is a serious issue, and like the 2014 ST, the fix will be adequate.

Once the issue becomes formalized, MORE time is required to develop a fix, not less, as more testing and paperwork is required.

While we know the frame & radiator design change, coupled with the 990V-twin) in 2013 was a significant factor in the increased heat for the 2013 RT, there may have been other changes that impacted air flow and may have had a significant impact, or mechanical changes, such as additional timing changes to meet emission requirements, and adding additional heat.

Let's give BRP the benefit of the doubt, and see if they get it right.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Jack, well spoken

BRPcare,
    I am an Australian 2013 RT ltd owner. Our temperatures for 9 months of the year is above 25 Degrees C, our winter temps are around 19 Degrees C tops, I live in South East Queensland, the best place in the world. When I purchased the RT in December 2013, I rode home from the supplier in 40 Degree C temps and I knew then I had an issue. The issue was not enough to stop you riding but it made what should be enjoyable very unpleasant. I retired six months after I purchased the RT, I love the Spyder and hope to get many years out of touring on it.

After several months of looking for solutions and doing some of the things that have been posted on this forum, I decided to buy an after market filter from our local supplier and investigate ceramic coating the pipes and the cat. I was advised that this would void my warranty and have decided to wait until it is run out.
    I then approached BRP Australia about the issue, my major concern was boiling fuel and gas fumes of which I had plenty. They directed me to the supplier and he made some changes to the RT, mainly changed the purge valve and the canister, this has made no difference.
    I would like to think that BRP will fix this issue and not as Jack has intimated, band aid it.

BRP have a great product with many dedicated owners who love their rides as my wife and I do. We are off to Tasmania on Sunday 22nd Feb, for a 5 week touring holiday on the RT. It is a pity that this could not have been dealt with sooner but I understand the ramifications of dealing with such an issue.

I look forward to a solution, love the Spyderlovers forum and love my RT, lets hope it all works out for the best.
    pjb_Brisie

Spyder Garage

Hello pjb_Brisie,
    Quote Originally Posted by pjb_Brisie View Post
    I then approached BRP Australia about the issue [...]
    I would like to think that BRP will fix this issue and not as Jack has intimated, band aid it.
    This safety recall addresses all 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT vehicles regardless of country of operation. It will be carried out worldwide.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjb_Brisie View Post
    BRP have a great product with many dedicated owners who love their rides as my wife and I do. We are off to Tasmania on Sunday 22nd Feb, for a 5 week touring holiday on the RT.
    That sounds like an incredible tour. Have a safe and wonderful holiday!
    Last edited by BRPcare; 02-18-2015 at 01:39 AM. Reason: formatting
    BRPcare

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi 03hdjill,

This recall addresses an issue occurring on the 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models. Due to differences in airflow within the engine compartment, engine configuration and various other factors, only 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models are included in this recall.
    will this take care of the gas fumes ?????

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 rt limited

bought 2013 rt limited in may 2013.

8500 miles to date.

2 yr warranty at time of sale

is BRP going to cover any and all expenses even after my warranty expires?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    will this take care of the gas fumes ?????
    I have a 2012 RT with the strong gas fumes issue. I know 2012 models are not part of this recall. Anything further expected for those with earlier models and the gas fume concerns?
    Last edited by Raknid; 02-18-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spellcheck is poor
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Hi lenlis,
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlis View Post
    is BRP going to cover any and all expenses even after my warranty expires?
    This is a safety recall. Your dealer will do the required repairs under this safety recall at no charge to you.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 02-18-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typo
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi lenlis,

This is a safety recall. Your dealer will do the required repairs under this safety recall at no charge to you.
    i have a 2013 RT will this take care of the gas fumes also ?????
    Last edited by mastertek2000; 02-18-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    As I've said before, it takes a lot of time and effort to (1) find the root cause of a problem, (2) develop a fix that works, and (3) validate the fix. This is a serious issue, and like the 2014 ST, the fix will be adequate.

Once the issue becomes formalized, MORE time is required to develop a fix, not less, as more testing and paperwork is required.

While we know the frame & radiator design change, coupled with the 990V-twin) in 2013 was a significant factor in the increased heat for the 2013 RT, there may have been other changes that impacted air flow and may have had a significant impact, or mechanical changes, such as additional timing changes to meet emission requirements, and adding additional heat.

Let's give BRP the benefit of the doubt, and see if they get it right.
    If we had a "Me Too" Button; I'd be all over it!
    Give them a chance to implement the corrective actions...
    Or... Do you just like to hear yourselves complain?

(I just KNOW that this is gonna start something... But it HAD to be said!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If we had a "Me Too" Button; I'd be all over it!
    Give them a chance to implement the corrective actions...
    Or... Do you just like to hear yourselves complain?

(I just KNOW that this is gonna start something... But it HAD to be said!)
    Well said Bob. Let's all sit back nd see what they are able to do for us. Some of you have really suffered for a couple of years a couple of months may make all the difference in the world. Hey your ryde may increase in value if the fix is a solid one!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I have a front seat and am hope for a great resolution. I love my bike

Spyder Garage

Hi mastertek2000,
    The recall is primarily intended to address the concern related to elevated temperature in the engine compartment and the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire. Any other improvements that might be noticed after the recall are welcome but as mentioned above, our focus here is on safety and addressing the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Default IF THIS IS FOR REAL

I, for one, will be thrilled if it actually works. Hopefully, BRP has put a lot of thought into this, and it will be a viable solution, Not just a band aid fix as in the past. The wife & I love our RT, which we bought specifically for long distance riding. As the old saying goes, "Better Late Than Never".
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default recall

Brp could have dragged this through the justice system a long time. Seems to me they are taking action as we read.
    Read the new statement and comply - should help those that are truly affected.
    Good luck to all '13 RT owners!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Your impressed because the NHTSA forced them into a recall situation?

Frankly it should have been investigated and repaired over a year ago. Not 2 model years later and after being told repeatedly it was all in our heads that there was nothing wrong with the bikes.

Yes, I am glad to hear something is finally in the work. But again wait a few months and we might do something. I will believe its a real fix when I see it work. Until then, I really think this 'voluntary' business is yet another attempt to stave off having to do much of anything. Hope I am wrong, but its the way we have been treated so far. They also better be willing to update any of the 2013s that have already had work done to them by the owner trying to make the bikes safe and usable while waiting for BRP to get around to doing something.

I actually hope its body panels, an insulated gas tank and retrofit of the reversing fan from the 2014s.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    after reading this BRP said, WELL THERE GOES THAT IDEA we need to try something else now because jack laid out our fix. i spent and lost a lot of money on my 13 rt and even thou i now i have a good bike with the 14 i still hold a lot of anger for what i went through and the beating i took in the loss of money.
    My trade cost me just under $10,000 John and I am sure BRP will never reimburse us. I will be 75 in April and do not feel I can wait another 5-10 years for BRP to string me along with all the "Band Aid" fixes. I was afraid of fire and or an explosion from gas fumes in my garage. Like I said, the only real fix would be the right engine for the right frame. We literally got screwed when the new engine/transmission was not ready for the new frame and it was decided to put the 998 in the new frame. There simply was not enough room for it to run cool enough and it was mounted up too close to the gas tank to prevent heating the fuel. Front exhaust pipe wrapped around and 2-3 inches under the gas tank. Not good!

I truly hope for those who bought the 2013 that a viable fix is found. I doubt it will be the designed engine/transmission.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 02-18-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
    Brp could have dragged this through the justice system a long time. Seems to me they are taking action as we read.
    Read the new statement and comply - should help those that are truly affected.
    Good luck to all '13 RT owners!!

Lets just say I disagree. BRPs deadline to respond to the NHTSA was Friday. Gee they cut it short by 3 days. If they had not acted, the NHTSA would have within the next few months. There have been VERY few successful challenges of an NHTSA ordered recall and frankly BRP does not have the financial backing to go there.

Their feet were to the fire so they responded. I only hope its a real improvement in the situation.

Now they have posted a letter that essentially states I must cease riding my bike to work by mid march. Are they going to provide me a loaner until the fix is available? Bet the bank still wants to be paid during those months.

I am through 'cutting BRP some slack'. They have used up all the rope and its long past time to hold them responsible to fix what they broke. Including financial losses, and loss of use. And before anyone goes all overboard, no, I am not filing a lawsuit. Would be a complete waste of time as is the lemon law on a 2 year old bike that has dropped in value like this one has due to manufacture defects.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

So what about those of us who have paid to buy adjustable vents and have insulation added at the dealer will we be reimbursed for the cost?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Your impressed because the NHTSA forced them into a recall situation?

Frankly it should have been investigated and repaired over a year ago. Not 2 model years later and after being told repeatedly it was all in our heads that there was nothing wrong with the bikes.

Yes, I am glad to hear something is finally in the work. But again wait a few months and we might do something. I will believe its a real fix when I see it work. Until then, I really think this 'voluntary' business is yet another attempt to stave off having to do much of anything. Hope I am wrong, but its the way we have been treated so far. They also better be willing to update any of the 2013s that have already had work done to them by the owner trying to make the bikes safe and usable while waiting for BRP to get around to doing something.

I actually hope its body panels, an insulated gas tank and retrofit of the reversing fan from the 2014s.
    Why not just put the right engine in and front end on and call it a day? They have it developed now. For those of us who have been test pilots and fix tester do we get flight pay?
    Last edited by Magdave; 02-18-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default I am super happy for the RT owners!!!

Being one of the red headed step children who owns a 2013 ST Ltd, (which, by the way, is one hell of a vehicle) I am heart broken that we have to wait and see if BRP wil eventually expand their fixes to include us. Our butts get warm when we get off the highway and go through town. And, the gas fumes can be a bit overwhelming when we get stopped at the stoplight.

Oh oh please Mr. BRP, don't leave us out!

So far, my second childhood is better than my first.