Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Bob you are not Scotty. 'nuf said.
    I'm not even qualified to carry his lunchbox...
    But locked up; is locked-up. Once you get to that point;
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    9500 for the RT and 10k for the RS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    9500 for the RT?

Are you sure?
    I tapped the rev limiter at 9200 with my 2010 RT...
    (3rd gear: 83 mph...)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    According to BRP for the 13'RT and 12'RS
    You ARE correct; I just got back from perusing the specifications pages on my 210, and it does say that the party stops at 9500 rpm...
    I bow to thee...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm not even qualified to carry his lunchbox...
    But locked up; is locked-up. Once you get to that point;
    Wrong there is no absolute "lock up" it is a centrifugal clutch lock up on the pre '14 not hydraulic and can slip if the load is high enough above 3600RPMs. You just proved my point quit making technical assertions when you do not know what you are talking about please. Due to variances in springs and wear the lock up RPM number is not written in stone on a 998. Once again I prefer to error on the higher side to ensure it is as locked as possible. Cruising in a high gear just above the "stated" lock up RPM by BRP is not a good thing to do PERIOD. Ever cause a chain saw clutch to slip? I have. Ever ride a moped? It works on the same principal as a Spyder clutch. Put a 400lb man on a moped and floor it. Put a 100lb kid on it and do the same what happens?

Centrifugal clutch[edit]

A centrifugal clutch is used in some vehicles (e.g., mopeds) and also in other applications where the speed of the engine defines the state of the clutch, for example, in a chainsaw. This clutch system employs centrifugal force to automatically engage the clutch when the engine rpm rises above a threshold and to automatically disengage the clutch when the engine rpm falls low enough. The system involves a clutch shoe or shoes attached to the driven shaft, rotating inside a clutch bell attached to the output shaft. The shoe(s) are held inwards by springs until centrifugal force overcomes the spring tension and the shoe(s) make contact with the bell, driving the output. In the case of a chainsaw this allows the chain to remain stationary whilst the engine is idling; once the throttle is pressed and the engine speed rises, the centrifugal clutch engages and the cutting chain moves. See Saxomat and Variomatic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So just run yours in first gear all of the time; your clutches will thank you...
    They START locking up at 3200 rpm... Give them a couple of hundred extra rpm to build up the force, and you're good to go!
    And with a high-enough load; you can bust anything. There's nothing mystical about it.
    You're not going to destroy the clutches by cruising at 4000 rpm...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-09-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011 Spyder Rt Heat Issue

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi lenlis,

This is a safety recall. Your dealer will do the required repairs under this safety recall at no charge to you.

Hi Steve
    I have contacted your local dealer in Embrun about the TST#112333 which involves the installing of air scoops to my 2011 RTS to reduce the heat issues, and they claim it will take him 2 hours to do this update kit and BRP will only pay for 1 hour, so they want to charge me a hour labor to install the kit you provide no charge. Does this seem right to you?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Horizonls View Post
    Hi Steve
    I have contacted your local dealer in Embrun about the TST#112333 which involves the installing of air scoops to my 2011 RTS to reduce the heat issues, and they claim it will take him 2 hours to do this update kit and BRP will only pay for 1 hour, so they want to charge me a hour labor to install the kit you provide no charge. Does this seem right to you?
    I'm no Steve but that doesn't sound right to me at all! A recall is a recall, it is supposed to be performed at no cost to the owner!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

The safety recal ONLY applies to 2013 RT...

Be happy that your dealer pay 1 hour & the parts...
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat Recall on Pre 2013 -- BRP Paid All of Mine

Quote Originally Posted by Horizonls View Post
    Hi Steve
    I think the dealer is thinking they will have to do the ENTIRE 2013 recall ... which involved MUCH more than installing the scoops and removing the baffles under the Tupperware. I live in Texas and it gets HOT during the summer, so even my reliable 2012 suffered in the heat (and that meant I did too). My dealer got the scoop kit installed as "good will" from BRP (even though my Spyder is not a 2013) -- there is no labor charge listed on my ticket for this item. So, it must have only taken one hour -- push back on the dealer (or have BPRCare do so) to make sure they understand it is JUST the scoops and NOT the entire 2013 recall (which is about 2 hours, if memory serves).

Good luck .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __