Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

If gas is boiling in your tank, a tremendous amount of vapors are being pushed through the charcoal canister and it will become saturated . . . I always top off my tank before parking to cool the gas and minimize that issue . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I'm in CO and I went to my closest dealer (40 miles away) on May 1st to see if they had a list started, and they didn't. In fact, the service manager had to look through a stack of papers to even see if he had any information on what I was talking about. He said the "hotter" states would be serviced by BRP first with parts, and that it might be mid to late summer for us. He also said after we, and he gets another notice he couldn't even order parts... but first he'd have to know how many to order. I'm thinking it'll be an all summer wait here. Thankfully, we don't get to hot here, but the heat still builds up under the tupperware.
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wetmountainman View Post
    I'm in CO and I went to my closest dealer (40 miles away) on May 1st to see if they had a list started, and they didn't. In fact, the service manager had to look through a stack of papers to even see if he had any information on what I was talking about. He said the "hotter" states would be serviced by BRP first with parts, and that it might be mid to late summer for us. He also said after we, and he gets another notice he couldn't even order parts... but first he'd have to know how many to order. I'm thinking it'll be an all summer wait here. Thankfully, we don't get to hot here, but the heat still builds up under the tupperware.
    You must have missed the post where BRPcare stated that the hotter states first, and then within days the cooler states would be taken care of.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    You must have missed the post where BRPcare stated that the hotter states first, and then within days the cooler states would be taken care of.
    How is anyone going to get it if the dealers do not even know it is coming? Sounds like BRPdoesn'tcare if you go to a dealer and he never heard it is coming. Time for Steve to get on the phone to EVERY dealer and make sure they know it is coming. I am in a HOT state. Mine is in do not ride mode 90degs here Bikeweek and Bumper to bumper traffic followed by outta school tourists are about to flood the beach. This is getting soooo old...
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: that BRP is in . . . denial over all of this...

Well, it seems to me that they were until the feds stepped in.

Some how I have a thought that you might sing a different tune if you had one of those cookers.

Just sayin'

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I think I'll wait and see what the recall consists of before I get upset that it won't work . . . Returned on 4 May from a 5390 mile ride through Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, and Kentucky along the way . . . no burns, no over heating, and my Spyder is one that melted the parking brake cable, the master cylinder, and the charcoal canister within the first 1000 miles I rode it . . . My belief is that BRP is trying to resolve this . . . and will.
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 05-18-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    If gas is boiling in your tank, a tremendous amount of vapors are being pushed through the charcoal canister and it will become saturated . . . I always top off my tank before parking to cool the gas and minimize that issue . . .
    I have a 2011 RS-S SE5. The evap system works the same on pre 2013. The charcoal canister can get raw gas into it and that is what causes the gas smell and some of the fires. Mine is now fire proofed, I have no gas smell or raw gas in the charcoal canister. I have taken the vent hose made it longer and routed it to the highest part of frame and then looped down to the charcoal canister. I also removed all the flammable foam heat and sound barrier. I installed a nonflammable thin heat and sound barrier and also used it two insulate the gas tank. I also used a high quality header tape to keep engine compartment cooler and get better gas mileage. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Get Good Life Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by wetmountainman View Post
    2013 RT. Imagine the truly awkward moment when you realize that you are very likely to become Ghost Rider. If finances permit, trade that POS in for a 2014 or a 2015 before your future widow wonders why you didn't and she is now alone. Not just my humble opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    2013 RT. Imagine the truly awkward moment when you realize that you are very likely to become Ghost Rider. If finances permit, trade that POS in for a 2014 or a 2015 before your future widow wonders why you didn't and she is now alone. Not just my humble opinion.
    There are over 5000 2013 RT Spyders . . . how many have burned? This seems to be serious hyperbole.
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 05-19-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

There are over 5000 2013 RT Spyders . . . how many have burned? This seem to be serious hyperbole.
    How many cars would have to burn before the car company was in deep do do? There have been 4 I know of and a lot that had the first recall done were close to following up with melted MC and EVAP canisters. Should any vehicle catch on fire while you are driving it?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    How is anyone going to get it if the dealers do not even know it is coming? Sounds like BRPdoesn'tcare if you go to a dealer and he never heard it is coming. Time for Steve to get on the phone to EVERY dealer and make sure they know it is coming. I am in a HOT state. Mine is in do not ride mode 90degs here Bikeweek and Bumper to bumper traffic followed by outta school tourists are about to flood the beach. This is getting soooo old...

I am upset with BRP as much as anyone but the dealers not knowing is not BRPs fault.

They sent out the notices to both the dealers and the owners. BRP cannot make dealers with useless service departments read the notices they send. Its just one more symptom of the majority of spyder service departments just not giving a flip.

But the information was sent. Your dealer did not read it or share it within the service department.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

There are over 5000 2013 RT Spyders . . . how many have burned? This seem to be serious hyperbole.
    I have had my 2013 RT-S for two years and have driven it in temps 90+ with no gas smells, overheating, burns or anything else these other folks have experienced.

The only issue I have had with it was the clutch issues that I had posted on this site.

However - I will have the all the mods done when the time comes....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How is anyone going to get it if the dealers do not even know it is coming? This is getting soooo old...
    They DO know that it's coming. They just don't know when, or what it is just yet...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

How many cars would have to burn before the car company was in deep do do? There have been 4 I know of and a lot that had the first recall done were close to following up with melted MC and EVAP canisters. Should any vehicle catch on fire while you are driving it?
    Where did I state that it was OK for Spyders to burn? My issue was with the poster's characterization of the 2013 RT as a POS and stating folks should sell them before they are killed by them when only one in a thousand has burned, and there has already been recalls to mitigate the original issue, with another forthcoming . . . hyperbole: extravagant exaggeration, overstatement, magnification . . .

Feeding hysteria does no one any good, and, as a result of posts like this, there are Spyder riders who have 2013 RT machines sitting in their garages, afraid to ride, or who have sold them at a greatly reduced price, far below their true value.

BRP will resolve this issue . . . whether they do so because of tremendous largesse on the part of the company or fear of the NHTSA doesn't matter . . . a fix is coming and stirring the pot to create fear among 2013 owners and further reduce the resale value, artificially, is not needed nor appreciated.

As an aside, two weeks ago, I returned from a 5,390 mile ryde from my home in the WV eastern panhandle, to Tucson AZ, and back, fifteen days of ryding over a 19 day period, going through Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, Missouri,Illinois, and Kentucky . . . and my Spyder performed admirably . . . I did not turn into "Ghost Ryder" nor did my Spyder melt down on the side of the road . . . like I said . . . the post I commented on was hyperbole and unneeded.
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 05-19-2015 at 07:23 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

what i want to see is if they, the dealers, have a problem getting parts. BRP says the fix is ready and they will announce it in may. well if they have the fix than there should not be a reason for them to ship parts right away when a dealer says, i have a bike and need the parts to fix it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Sad

Here is our experience with BRP, After our purchase of a 2013 RT-Limited in august of 2013. Our first issue was the canister being over three times its weight in raw fuel & venting fumes-we returned to the dealership where we purchased the unit & they replaced the canister (n/c under warranty). After much discussion & calls to BRP customer service we were instructed to change the shift points to allow the purge valve to work properly.(between 4500 to 5000 rpm) Also the rep at BRP stated to me that there were no worries about the fumes being of any problem. (I have had over 30 years in the volunteer fire service in Pa.) My next question to him was: do you have a garage attached to your home? Answer was yes. Then the following question was could I park our spyder in his garage when it was "fuming" and then have him light a cigarette in there with the doors closed? No answer...also our purchasing dealer told us not to come back for service (my guess was fears of lemon law issues) since we were documenting all of the repairs & returns for the same issue. In retrospect I feel that BRP has known of this issue & has been very lacking in how & what to do. It should not take NHSTA to force a company to get to this point. As for the dealerships I am sure they want to fix the problem as well-they just do not have the knowledge to correct it-also not being compensated from BRP also comes to mind. Needless to say my wife loves her spyder-we are among the many feeling helpless with a defective product-the wait is not helping the issue...

Spyder Garage

Default As the days tic by

Just saying.....10 more days to June....still hanging in. LoL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daviszoo1 View Post
    Here is our experience with BRP, After our purchase of a 2013 RT-Limited in august of 2013. Our first issue was the canister being over three times its weight in raw fuel & venting fumes-we returned to the dealership where we purchased the unit & they replaced the canister (n/c under warranty). After much discussion & calls to BRP customer service we were instructed to change the shift points to allow the purge valve to work properly.(between 4500 to 5000 rpm) Also the rep at BRP stated to me that there were no worries about the fumes being of any problem. (I have had over 30 years in the volunteer fire service in Pa.) My next question to him was: do you have a garage attached to your home? Answer was yes. Then the following question was could I park our spyder in his garage when it was "fuming" and then have him light a cigarette in there with the doors closed? No answer...also our purchasing dealer told us not to come back for service (my guess was fears of lemon law issues) since we were documenting all of the repairs & returns for the same issue. In retrospect I feel that BRP has known of this issue & has been very lacking in how & what to do. It should not take NHSTA to force a company to get to this point. As for the dealerships I am sure they want to fix the problem as well-they just do not have the knowledge to correct it-also not being compensated from BRP also comes to mind. Needless to say my wife loves her spyder-we are among the many feeling helpless with a defective product-the wait is not helping the issue...
    I don't have a 2013 but have similar frustration with the fumes. My dealer claims to never heard of the problem. Asked if they would want to park a vehicle In their attached garage that put out enough gasoline fumes to permeate the family room and kitchen. Answer was... call BRP, they should be made aware. I said they are aware. Ugh.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

There are over 5000 2013 RT Spyders . . . how many have burned? This seems to be serious hyperbole.

It's not just a question only of how many has burned too.... ask how many of the 5000 2013's at exposing there drivers to elevated level's of VOC's.. (raw gas fumes).
    It's a health risk as much as a fire risk... just the health risk part will kill yah slower.

My Rt's nickname has always been "Puff.. the Magic Dragon"

I purchased the Spyder to enjoy the sunset portion on my life... not hasten it!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default This might help

Quote Originally Posted by condorflysu View Post
    It's not just a question only of how many has burned too.... ask how many of the 5000 2013's at exposing there drivers to elevated level's of VOC's.. (raw gas fumes).
    It's a health risk as much as a fire risk... just the health risk part will kill yah slower.

My Rt's nickname has always been "Puff.. the Magic Dragon"

I purchased the Spyder to enjoy the sunset portion on my life... not hasten it!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

It is until it is your Spyder that burns up.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Where did I state that it was OK for Spyders to burn? My issue was with the poster's characterization of the 2013 RT as a POS and stating folks should sell them before they are killed by them when only one in a thousand has burned, and there has already been recalls to mitigate the original issue, with another forthcoming . . . hyperbole: extravagant exaggeration, overstatement, magnification . . .

Feeding hysteria does no one any good, and, as a result of posts like this, there are Spyder riders who have 2013 RT machines sitting in their garages, afraid to ride, or who have sold them at a greatly reduced price, far below their true value.

BRP will resolve this issue . . . whether they do so because of tremendous largesse on the part of the company or fear of the NHTSA doesn't matter . . . a fix is coming and stirring the pot to create fear among 2013 owners and further reduce the resale value, artificially, is not needed nor appreciated.

As an aside, two weeks ago, I returned from a 5,390 mile ryde from my home in the WV eastern panhandle, to Tucson AZ, and back, fifteen days of ryding over a 19 day period, going through Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, Missouri,Illinois, and Kentucky . . . and my Spyder performed admirably . . . I did not turn into "Ghost Ryder" nor did my Spyder melt down on the side of the road . . . like I said . . . the post I commented on was hyperbole and unneeded.
    You did not ride through any of the hot states during the hot months. Before May none of these states reach over 85 degrees. The heat and fume problems start at 85 degrees and up. Here in Arizona temps get up to 117-120 in the summer as do southern CA, TX NM etc.Your early spring ride and analogy holds no water what so ever! Yes I owned a 2013 RT-S

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default frustration

To continue my frustration with BRP, we did send a letter with all of the service issues to the dealer (located near Pottstown,Pa.)-the area sales representative and BRP direct. To make matters worse we received no communication whatsoever....So needless to say we have very little trust in a company we spent enough money on their product to purchase a new car....totally poor (or none at all) customer service...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer called to schedule my fix

Well, last week I recieved a phone call from my dealer where I purchase 2 2013 RT. I was suppose to bring it in this past Saturday, but had to cancel. I just called and the service guy confirmed they have the parts and waiting on my spyder. I plan to take one spyder in there tomorrow morning, and the other one when I pick up the first.

I have been watching this thread, and it sure seems like there are 2 types of posters here... ground troops that goes head in, and shoot anything that moves.. even the dog because they have other past experience that is interpreted into this situation. Then the snipers that stays far and gets a good look at the target before shooting or not. Both ends up working together to get something done for the greater good and we all benefit.

I have hopes and reservations too, but those are kept till the "fat lady sings".

I would have thought by now, as active as this thread is/was, someone would have posted something showing the start of the actions by BRP. I guess I will.

happy days..

hobbicam
    ps.. my experience with BRP has been very good. I was the one that posted about the wiggling steering video. The dealer looked at it several times and even said it was normal for these bikes.. but after the video came out, the BRP Customer Rep, got a hold of the service team here and then it was fix. very noticeably. My service guy also was humble enough to explain what BRP had him do and admits that he did not know.