Grip Puppies
    HEAT RECALL COMPLETED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    What is s/w change?
    Software

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Software
    THANKS
    2013 RT SE5
    Bajaron sway bar
    Bajaron heim links
    laser alignment from dealer
    Inspector Gadget floor boards
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Grip Puppies
    HEAT RECALL COMPLETED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Sounds like Tinfoil part II. It sounds like what some here tested for them and said it did not work. Unless they do something with the header heat (wrap or coat?) something will melt. Sooo S/W.... reversing fan and richening, Air flow ...if it is adjustable vents I already have them, body change... I hope it isn't making swiss cheese under the seat. Insulation.... I already have that too. I wonder if I get money back for what I have done already? Bring it on and lets see what happens. Any fires after this should definitely lead to buy backs.
    I'm not real familiar w/ the test last year but I don't think that is the fix at all. He did say something about BRP noted the mods some have made to counter the heat and some of those ideas have been used to come up with the fix.

Another thing he mentioned is BRP does read SL postings even though they lay low on here.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

BRP has convinced the Feds the fix will work. The parts are being made. The rollout will take days, not weeks. The fix consists of s/w change, air flow change, body part change, and I think, insulation.
    Thanks for the response. Realizing that skepticism from owners is one major reason that BRP is not releasing the facts before they are ready to perform the work, I'm going to try and keep an open mind here. But it's awfully hard not to agree with Dave. What you mention is indeed along the lines of what most of us have expected, but it's hard to understand how that would be enough. For one thing, one would think that they are going to HAVE to re-route that #1 header that comes within an inch of the fuel tank, if they want to cool down the fuel. As for S/W changes, they have already done some of that that and it didn't do much at all. About all they can do with software is enrich the fuel mixture at certain times. It may help some, but very little I think.

That said, I have wrapped the headers, and added a lot of insulation/heat deflection material in strategic places, and it has helped a lot. But I don't live in the South. Furthermore, I have to say that removing the CAT is what has gotten ride of most of the fuel tank heat for me, and I sure can't see them doing that. But maybe they will relocate it into the secondary muffler (it would surely help to get it out from underneath the fuel tank). In any event, it's nice to hear some confirmation that they plan to roll out the recall before we get into the real hot summer months.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-02-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Thanks for the response. Realizing that skepticism from owners is one major reason that BRP is not releasing the facts before they are ready to perform the work, I'm going to try and keep an open mind here. But it's awfully hard not to agree with Dave. What you mention is indeed along the lines of what most of us have expected, but it's hard to understand how that would be enough. For one thing, one would think that they are going to HAVE to re-route that #1 header that comes within an inch of the fuel tank, if they want to cool down the fuel. As for S/W changes, they have already done some of that that and it didn't do much at all. About all they can do with software is enrich the fuel mixture at certain times. It may help some, but very little I think.

That said, I have wrapped the headers, and added a lot of insulation/heat deflection material in strategic places, and it has helped a lot. But I don't live in the South. Furthermore, I have to say that removing the CAT is what has gotten ride of most of the fuel tank heat for me, and I sure can't see them doing that. But maybe they will relocate it into the secondary muffler (it would surely help to get it out from underneath the fuel tank). In any event, it's nice to hear some confirmation that they plan to roll out the recall before we get into the real hot summer months.
    The front header is the majority of the problem hopefully they will be doing something with it.I too have a lot of insulation I paid the dealer to install to my specifications but I do not have a wrapped header because I believe it should be Jet Hot coated. A new gas tank with the same insulation across the whole bottom like they have on one corner would help the boiling gas too.If they do those 2 things it may make a big difference. Moving the Cat back into the muffler should be done too. It used to be didn't it? I guess we will see soon enough what they bring out. I am in the south and July to Sept is no ride here in Myrtle Beach with bumper to bumper tourists. Here is the tank bottom that should be uniformly covered
    Last edited by Magdave; 05-02-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Can this be a fix?

I'm not much for this stuff but since I have a 2013 RT I'd like to throw in a possible fix. Since the body design for the 2013 RT was intended to fit the 1330 motor and the 998cc is what is causing the heat issue. Why can't we just have the 1330 motor put on the 2013? I for one would be willing to put in some money if this would actually work and BRP would also put in some. Does anyone who has more knowledge here think this would work? Like I said I would be willing to do anything to make the problem go away. Has anyone heard what the fix from BRP is or had the repair done yet???
    Boris the Spyder
    2015 RT-S SE6
    See The Who video of Boris the Spyder

Spyder Garage

I had another conversation with another BRP rep, Andre Cote, this afternoon. I related what Dany Davy said yesterday. Here is his take.

He thinks the regulatory approval has been received, just not made public yet. He asked me what I thought the fix may be. He chuckled when I said how about putting a 1330 into the 2013 RTs since the frame is the same as the '14. I made a suggestion based on speculation here on the forum. It was pretty much correct.

I think it was because of that, and only that, he offered to show me pics about part of the fix, but it was a "your eyes only" showing! I will say this much. One part of the fix is in line with some of the speculation here! The fix involves more than just physical changes. Take that to mean what you will! Owners will have the option to accept all, part, or none of the fixes, but if they don't accept it all they must sign a waiver, which I believe means absolving BRP of liability.

He was unequivocal in his statement that from BRP's perspective this fix does solve the heat problems.

The parts are in production. The fix will be available over the entire country within days of being launched in the SW.

The wait continues, but at least we have more concrete info now.
    I would like to know if the 1330 could be put into the bike? If it would be possible what would the cost be and can this be done instead of the other fix. I would be willing to split the cost of this fix with BRP. Anybody else out there who would be willing to take this option if it was offered???
    Boris the Spyder
    2015 RT-S SE6
    See The Who video of Boris the Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 changeover

I've been wondering when this question would be asked - exchange from twin to triple on the 13 models with the frame already designed for the 1330 seems an attractive idea! I for one would swap engines in my 13 ST in a heartbeat. Just waiting for someone to figure out how it would all work with the radiators, exhaust system, ecm & etc. Then of course the question of cost comes into play...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you'd need an entirely new nose on the bike...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

this might not be true, so don't bet on it, but rumor has it they are taking the bikes back and replacing them with slingshots from Polaris
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I'd just keep the 2013.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK, here's the word today from BRP. Danny Davy, customer tech rep to dealers, was with Lamont today for a Q&A session here at Spyderfest. I asked him what he could tell us about the fix. As has been reported before the fix has been determined. However, the regulators have not yet bought off on it and until they do BRP by law and regulation cannot make it public. As soon as the regulators say go they can tell us what's coming. He did not give any hint whatever there was a problem with getting approval. It just takes time. As has been reported before the fix will be rolled out in the hot SW states first. But, and this is the good new news, the roll out over the entire country should happen in days, not weeks as has been speculated here. I asked when I could expect to have the fix available in Idaho, June, July, or when? He said not that late, but only days after the roll out starts.

The implication, but not specific words said, is the parts are being made and will be ready to ship the end of may.
    I wonder how much the temperature dropped they got by implementing the fixes they came up with after testing in Arizona? Also is there an aftermarket radiator fan for the 2013 RT's with a reverse like the 2014 RT"s have?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ask all you want; NOBODY in here knows yet...

The fix is coming...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Boom!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

We'd like to bring to your attention a voluntary safety recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT vehicles meant to address a risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

Some of you might have already seen the announcement for the safety recall on the Transport Canada website; we're expecting that it should be posted on the NHTSA site shortly as well. [UPDATE: NHTSA has now posted the recall as well.] Owners of affected units will also be mailed a letter to this effect.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread and we'll address them as best we can. Thank you all for your input, patience, support and cooperation in helping us identify and address this issue.
    Steve, although you can"t give us details on the fix for the 2013 RT's heat problem, can you tell us what the results are from BRP's testing of the fixes? Will the fixes prevent inner thigh burning on hot days above 100 degrees while at cruise speed and below on a long ride? Is the temperature drop significant? I know there are many variables but we as a RT community would like to know. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Concerning

The information about signing a waiver and having a choice on a part or all of the fix is a little concerning to me. I am truly hoping one of the "fixes" is not re design of the body panels to make the 2013 look more like the F3 from the side. I guess like everyone else I will sit quietly with my mind running a million miles a minute hoping and praying that my 2013 RT will be solid and worth all the money it cost me to purchase it. I would love to keep my 13 a few more years and not to loose a ton of money trading it in too early.... So let's hope as stated in another post the fix is comprehensive and effective.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arsquatch View Post
    The information about signing a waiver and having a choice on a part or all of the fix is a little concerning to me. I am truly hoping one of the "fixes" is not re design of the body panels to make the 2013 look more like the F3 from the side. I guess like everyone else I will sit quietly with my mind running a million miles a minute hoping and praying that my 2013 RT will be solid and worth all the money it cost me to purchase it. I would love to keep my 13 a few more years and not to loose a ton of money trading it in too early.... So let's hope as stated in another post the fix is comprehensive and effective.
    I agree and feel the same way. I, for one, haven't had all the heat related issues with my 2013 RT LTD like some have had. I also have too much invested in the RT to just let it go just for the sake of getting another RT with a 1330 engine. I test drove a 1330 RT and liked it, but not enough to take a loss on trade in. Besides, I like the sound of the 990. In the future though, I do see myself buying a 1330, but now is not the time for me. Let's hope BRP's fix resolves the heat issues on the 2013 RT's and all this gets put behind us.

Spyder Garage

you know i never thought of what they might do to fix the problem might change the look of the bike. what happens if you see one of the bikes after the fix is done and if they change body panels you don't like the new look. than what do you do when it is time for your bike to be fixed
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    you know i never thought of what they might do to fix the problem might change the look of the bike. what happens if you see one of the bikes after the fix is done and if they change body panels you don't like the new look. than what do you do when it is time for your bike to be fixed
    As mentioned in a previous post, you can sign a waiver and not have the work done, if that's true.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    As long as the front end does not look like a riding lawnmower, I'll be ok with it.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    As long as the front end does not look like a riding lawnmower, I'll be ok with it.
    I'll go ahead and add to your speculations and agony! Based on what I could see in the photo Andre showed me, it does involve a noticeable alteration in body panels!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It will take a multi-faceted approach to solve this problem. The owners will be able to pick and choose what they want to have done, but I HOPE that we see a lot of owners going for the entire package. It would be the best way to see how well "the fix" works...

Spyder Garage

I'll go ahead and add to your speculations and agony! Based on what I could see in the photo Andre showed me, it does involve a noticeable alteration in body panels!
    I won't have a problem with body panel alteration, except for the front end look of the F3 which I and my wife deride every time we see the commercials on TV. If that is my choice, I'll probably get it done to help trade in value, and then take a serious look at an Indian Chief triked. I absolutely hate the front end look of the F3 lawnmower.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's funny; you can't see it from behind the handlebars, and most folks seem to LOVE the way it rides.