Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjb_Brisie View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I have just returned from our trip to Tasmania on my 2013 RT Ltd, 7,000 klms and 5 weeks away from home, I had no problems with the Spyder over the entire trip except it got very hot on three occasions, mainly in slow traffic on hot days in Sydney and Melbourne, other than that it performed perfectly. Only mishap was that we got hit by a kangaroo leaving Cradle Mountain in Tassie, no damage to the Spyder, hit the trailer.

Just to let you know, on my return I got onto the dealer at Springwood Suzuki to see if there was any information about the recall. He had no knowledge or information about the recall, I guided him to the recall information on the web page. He was still in the dark. When are BRP going to let the dealers know about this recall? given it will be world wide and I assume a reasonably big bit of work that the dealers need to carry out. I would like to think that this will be completed before the summer as the Spyder is just about un-rideable during Queensland summers. Also there seems to be a lack of information about exactly what will be done to the RT's as part of the recall, I can understand that BRP don't want to put it out there to let every one comment now that they have a solution, but a letter with the details to owners would be a good step in the right direction.

Paul B

I say this with all due respect, but isn't your last comment a bit oxymoronic in that most of the people who would be commenting would be owners? I do respect your opinion though.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Understanding BRP

Hi Mouthpiece,
    I obviously did not make myself very clear, I was also trying to avoid going off topic. I can see that BRP might not want to put the details of what is to be done on this post, as you can see from some of the posts, there is a lot of unhappy owners out there, I was mainly trying to get Steve from BRP to understand that owners would like to know what is to be done to their Spyders. In many cases people bought the Spyder for how it looks and if that is going to change, then I would like to know.

Sorry I was not clear enough.

Paul

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/730/22...RT-Recall.aspx

I found this. It is dated 2/26/15. Also, one member of our group says hers has been done and here is the picture.

I'm thinking maybe they used hers for the prototype? From the article, this will not help much at idle or low speed above 85 degrees unless they have a fan pushing/pulling air into those vents. i know my '14 RT blows air out the front with fans to cool it down. Might end up doing that.

Also, several members have been told by the dealer that the upgrades have already been done. If one is available, I would like to get a parts list to them to give them some ammo with their dealers.

As it stands, I would do at least exactly what the article and BRP says about prolonged idling and cool down before going into an enclosed area. Makes a lot of sense to me...
    Interesting pic; the [air] scoop is on the exhaust side. I suppose there could be another one on the other side. I would think they have a corresponding change in/under the bike to get the air out too.

Of course, this may not be the final solution. There might be another solution in test and the final answer is the one that "fixes" the problem with the least cost.

Just watching as I'm a 2012 owner...

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    Interesting pic; the [air] scoop is on the exhaust side. I suppose there could be another one on the other side. I would think they have a corresponding change in/under the bike to get the air out too.

Of course, this may not be the final solution. There might be another solution in test and the final answer is the one that "fixes" the problem with the least cost.

Just watching as I'm a 2012 owner...

Jerry

That pic has been posted before. The bike in the pic is an ST not an RT and those are indeed the new for 14 side panels for the ST. Speculation that something similar is in the works for the RT but no photos have been seen in the wild yet.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default May is 24 hours away

Tomorrow is May... I spoke to my dealer about the recall for the 2013 RT Elevated Temperature in Engine compartment...

They had no word or information and I then contacted BRP @ 1-888-272-9222.
    They say the fix should (Note the use of "should") roll the 15th of May.
    May 15th.. the maximum time they could interject before government radars would start to ping on the topic.

Curious to see that dates in the middle of the month. not may 1st....
    When BRP sends a letter saying May..that's May1st in my books.

After BRP blamed me and the way I drive, when I drive and in what weather temp. I drive , my shifts I heard it all.
    They wrapped my exhaust and tried several things.

The last two weeks.. if I'd been a smoker on my Spyder.. boom... free moon launch!
    My local fire department has a VOC sensor... you can detect the gas fumes boiling off.
    My dealer says it the worst case of gas smell they had with a RT Spyder.

I do not believe they have a fix for this.... I think we are being scammed!!
    What about all the damage that's being done to the other internals of the Spyder....even my glove compartment cover is stating to wrap from it.

2 years this has been going on now BRP...lets see .... BPR HAVE A REP CALL ME AND MY DEALER BRAMPTON POWER SPORTS....ASAP just say Frank to the service manager.(Rebeca)
    I have offered to drive to Val Dor Que. in person to deliver the vehicle back to you for repairs or replacement.

Enough already... I Wana ride !.... safe........

Sorry to rant folks... but this is getting stupid.

Talking to the people at the 1-888 BRP line is wasting my time... and I think BRP counts on that.

Frank N.
    Last edited by condorflysu; 04-30-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you feel any better?

They did say "May", and not "May 1st"... Hang in there!
    At this point, all that you're doing is raising your blood pressure...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by condorflysu View Post

I have offered to drive to Val Dor Que. in person to deliver the vehicle back to you for repairs or replacement.

Frank N.

You won't get much help in Val d'Or I'm afraid.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Thirty one more days for them to get the "May" information out. I would not be betting on an early disclosure. They want this to be right the first time and every little glitch that could happen will delay the process a bit more.

If it does not happen as promised, there is going to be a lot of egg on the companies face. I am guessing they will want to avoid that at all cost.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They sure don't want any more "bad press" over the 2013 models...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK, here's the word today from BRP. Danny Davy, customer tech rep to dealers, was with Lamont today for a Q&A session here at Spyderfest. I asked him what he could tell us about the fix. As has been reported before the fix has been determined. However, the regulators have not yet bought off on it and until they do BRP by law and regulation cannot make it public. As soon as the regulators say go they can tell us what's coming. He did not give any hint whatever there was a problem with getting approval. It just takes time. As has been reported before the fix will be rolled out in the hot SW states first. But, and this is the good new news, the roll out over the entire country should happen in days, not weeks as has been speculated here. I asked when I could expect to have the fix available in Idaho, June, July, or when? He said not that late, but only days after the roll out starts.

The implication, but not specific words said, is the parts are being made and will be ready to ship the end of may.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Let's all have a cocktail while we wait. After all, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks... I know that you've had a tough time waiting.

Spyder Garage

I had another conversation with another BRP rep, Andre Cote, this afternoon. I related what Dany Davy said yesterday. Here is his take.

He thinks the regulatory approval has been received, just not made public yet. He asked me what I thought the fix may be. He chuckled when I said how about putting a 1330 into the 2013 RTs since the frame is the same as the '14. I made a suggestion based on speculation here on the forum. It was pretty much correct.

I think it was because of that, and only that, he offered to show me pics about part of the fix, but it was a "your eyes only" showing! I will say this much. One part of the fix is in line with some of the speculation here! The fix involves more than just physical changes. Take that to mean what you will! Owners will have the option to accept all, part, or none of the fixes, but if they don't accept it all they must sign a waiver, which I believe means absolving BRP of liability.

He was unequivocal in his statement that from BRP's perspective this fix does solve the heat problems.

The parts are in production. The fix will be available over the entire country within days of being launched in the SW.

The wait continues, but at least we have more concrete info now.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There you have it... Thanks for the info!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I had another conversation with another BRP rep, Andre Cote, this afternoon. I related what Dany Davy said yesterday. Here is his take.

He thinks the regulatory approval has been received, just not made public yet. He asked me what I thought the fix may be. He chuckled when I said how about putting a 1330 into the 2013 RTs since the frame is the same as the '14. I made a suggestion based on speculation here on the forum. It was pretty much correct.

I think it was because of that, and only that, he offered to show me pics about part of the fix, but it was a "your eyes only" showing! I will say this much. One part of the fix is in line with some of the speculation here! The fix involves more than just physical changes. Take that to mean what you will! Owners will have the option to accept all, part, or none of the fixes, but if they don't accept it all they must sign a waiver, which I believe means absolving BRP of liability.

He was unequivocal in his statement that from BRP's perspective this fix does solve the heat problems.

The parts are in production. The fix will be available over the entire country within days of being launched in the SW.

The wait continues, but at least we have more concrete info now.
    Now what does that mean? You're killing me here How about point to a thread that has the correct speculation in it.
    Last edited by Magdave; 05-01-2015 at 06:41 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why would you even post you know what the fix is but you can't say LOL we will all find out at the same time that's the way BRP wants it and that's how it will happen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There you have it... Thanks for the info!
    There we have WHAT, exactly???
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will say this much. One part of the fix is in line with some of the speculation here! The fix involves more than just physical changes.
    Does this mean that there will be genetic modifications to the 2013 owners, that will allow them to withstand higher than "normal" temperatures??

Spyder Garage

Does this mean that there will be genetic modifications to the 2013 owners, that will allow them to withstand higher than "normal" temperatures??
    No Bob but the fix will come with a sign.

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I LIKE that!
    I'll post it in the Office here...

Spyder Garage

Well, as long as I'm to undergo genetic modifications, I can think of a few others I wouldn't mind having as well.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shoot ... I'd buy a 2013 RT tomorrow, if I could get those "enhancements"...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    There we have WHAT, exactly???
    BRP has convinced the Feds the fix will work. The parts are being made. The rollout will take days, not weeks. The fix consists of s/w change, air flow change, body part change, and I think, insulation.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

BRP has convinced the Feds the fix will work. The parts are being made. The rollout will take days, not weeks. The fix consists of s/w change, air flow change, body part change, and I think, insulation.
    Sounds like Tinfoil part II. It sounds like what some here tested for them and said it did not work. Unless they do something with the header heat (wrap or coat?) something will melt. Sooo S/W.... reversing fan and richening, Air flow ...if it is adjustable vents I already have them, body change... I hope it isn't making swiss cheese under the seat. Insulation.... I already have that too. I wonder if I get money back for what I have done already? Bring it on and lets see what happens. Any fires after this should definitely lead to buy backs.