Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Safety Recall - Elevated Temperature in Engine Compartment

Hi everyone,

We'd like to bring to your attention a voluntary safety recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT vehicles meant to address a risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

Some of you might have already seen the announcement for the safety recall on the Transport Canada website; we're expecting that it should be posted on the NHTSA site shortly as well. [UPDATE: NHTSA has now posted the recall as well.] Owners of affected units will also be mailed a letter to this effect.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread and we'll address them as best we can. Thank you all for your input, patience, support and cooperation in helping us identify and address this issue.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 02-26-2015 at 07:26 AM. Reason: formatting
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

so what will the fix be steve. i am sure people are going to want to know
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    so what will the fix be steve. i am sure people are going to want to know
    The Canadian link says the fix is "under development."

Should be available by May 2015.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The Canadian link says the fix is "under development."

Should be available by May 2015.
    i saw that buddy. just wanted to know if he would elaborate a lil on it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i saw that buddy. just wanted to know if he would elaborate a lil on it

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Does Not Care

T tried to make contact with BRP on several occasions re some kind of "klunkin" sounds in the front end of my 2013 STS SE5 along with the horrendous heat problem. They don't care. My dealer doesn't care. My wife seems not to care. I care! I am not so angry with BRP as I am disappointed with them. Oh well, life goes on. Love the contraption though. Just my "CanAm Lament."

Spyder Garage

Default recall

I am impressed with Can Am for this step!!
    Hopefully all those with these problems will now find relief.
    my 2 cents worth
    [SIGPIC]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I assume this recall is for ALL 2013 RT/RTS/RTL models?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

We'd like to bring to your attention a voluntary safety recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT vehicles meant to address a risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

Some of you might have already seen the announcement for the safety recall on the Transport Canada website; we're expecting that it should be posted on the NHTSA site shortly as well. Owners of affected units will also be mailed a letter to this effect.

Once the recall has been published on the NHTSA website, if you have any questions, please post them in this thread and we'll address them as best we can. Thank you all for your input, patience, support and cooperation in helping us identify and address this issue.
    What about us RS riders with crispy fried legs?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing to prove to anyone and no need to feel liked.....I just call it as it is....and a lot of people need thicker skin.....especially on the forums.
    There's a LOT of whining that goes on here....much more than most other forums.
    Anyway-

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just FYI-
    According to the parts list
    2012 RT and RS frames are the same. (But different than 2013, 2014)
    2013 RT, ST, RS frames are the same. (But different than 2012, 2014)
    2014 RT, ST, RS frames are the same. (But different than 2012, 2013)

All the frames from 2012-2014 are different from year to year but are the same for each model of that same year.

The RT heat issue is NOT a frame issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Just FYI-
    According to the parts list
    2012 RT and RS frames are the same. (But different than 2013, 2014)
    2013 RT, ST, RS frames are the same. (But different than 2012, 2014)
    2014 RT, ST, RS frames are the same. (But different than 2012, 2013)

All the frames from 2012-2014 are different from year to year but are the same for each model of that same year.

The RT heat issue is NOT a frame issue.

"Absolutely no information on you in your profile DrewNJ. Fill it in. What are you hiding from. What do you ride? "All frames are different but the same"?? Exactly what does that mean? Do you or have you ever owned a 2013 RT? I have.

All frames are different but the same??? I can assure you the 2013 frame was designed for the 1330 engine/transmission and hastily adapted in reverse for the 998 as per BRP when the 1330 was not available in time. 2013 was supposed to be the year with the big change. OOOPS! Mounts for the 998 were added and several other changes were made to adapt the frame to the 998. Study that parts list a little more carefully and you should see that.

We have a lot of strong opinions here from people who do not own and never have owned a 2013 RT, which as Steve M. from BRP stated this thread is about. Lets stay on subject here and if you have never walked in these Moccasins perhaps restrain your comments for a place more suitable.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 02-20-2015 at 01:04 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack, maybe you should do a little homework and look up the part numbers for the frames yourself before you act like an ass.
    Further, I don't feel the need to create a resume in my profile like others. If you don't like or believe the info I post, then simply ignore it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't some of our Spyders already generate enough heat without going off at each other ??

Spyder Garage

Jack, maybe you should do a little homework and look up the part numbers for the frames yourself before you act like an ass.
    Further, I don't feel the need to create a resume in my profile like others. If you don't like or believe the info I post, then simply ignore it.
    Sure the part numbers are different because they had to reverse adapt it to the 998 and weld on new engine mounts. So my question remains do you or have you ever owned a 2013 RT??

By the way, name calling only shows YOU up for what you are. Maybe that's why you have an empty profile

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack, please put me on ignore. I would not want you to stroke out on us because I feel no need to try to impress you with a resume in my profile.....seriously.

I had a 2013 RT on loaner at the end of 12'. I've ridden 2 others since. I have no interest in the RT. But do have an interest in the ST an RS.....which share the same frame.

I think the root of the problem many of you have is your pissed because you drank the 2013' koolaide about how much better those machines were supposed to be vs. The older RT, paid a premium for your 2013 and then less than a year later the 1330 made its debut for the 14' and you feel you were shorted.
    Now, you've pissed and moaned so much about it that anyone who does any research about a 2013 RT is scared to death of it.

Ive been around the v990 motor in a few past Aprilias for some time. I have a wrecked track rsv in my shed with more money in the motor than the bike is worth. The v990 is probably the main reason I chose to try a spyder. I've helped a few 13' owners (and others) properly tune their 13' machines. Lets just say i have a decent idea on what makes the v990 tick. I had a lot of the info here for awhile but deleted it all because it caused to much bickering. Most people felt brp should fix it and others would rather wrap everything up. Fine, whatever.
    You can add that to my profile if it makes you happy......[emoji6]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the root of the problem many of you have is your pissed because you drank the 2013' koolaide about how much better those machines were supposed to be vs. The older RT, paid a premium for your 2013 and then less than a year later the 1330 made its debut for the 14' and you feel you were shorted.
    Now, you've pissed and moaned so much about it that anyone who does any research about a 2013 RT is scared to death of it.

Ive been around the v990 motor in a few past Aprilias for some time. I have a wrecked track rsv in my shed with more money in the motor than the bike is worth. The v990 is probably the main reason I chose to try a spyder. I've helped a few 13' owners (and others) properly tune their 13' machines. Lets just say i have a decent idea on what makes the v990 tick. I had a lot of the info here for awhile but deleted it all because it caused to much bickering. Most people felt brp should fix it and others would rather wrap everything up. Fine, whatever.
    You can add that to my profile if it makes you happy......[emoji6]
    Seriously? I wasn't unhappy with you until this comment. There are many reasons why someone purchases a Spyder but to make it seem like it is their fault that the 2013 RT are crap is just wrong. You would feel differently if you owned one.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Seriously? I wasn't unhappy with you until this comment. There are many reasons why someone purchases a Spyder but to make it seem like it is their fault that the 2013 RT are crap is just wrong. You would feel differently if you owned one.
    Sorry you feel that way Ann. Honestly, it is what it is. However, we all make poor decisions sometimes. Most times those poor decisions are unintentional, but are hard ones to digest once we realize we wouldn't have made that same choice again.
    For some people its easier to admit and move on, Others are more stubborn and decide to dig their heels in the sand.
    Yes, it was a "choice" to buy what they did. Is it right things turned out the way they did? No. But its the way life is dealt to us sometimes.....

Personally, life is to short, if I would have bought one of those problematic machines, I would have either made it right on my own dime, or dumped it and moved on. I've been there with other powersports/hobbies. My wife reminds me periodically...[emoji57]
    For some its harder because its a big blow to our pride (especially the male pride/ego....again, been there [emoji38] ) and for others they paid a big premium when they purchased so they are SO upside down in it......easy to end up upside down with a big dollar RT.
    Have a good evening Ann.

Spyder Garage

Default TO EVERYONE

This thread is not about pissing matches between anyone, it was started by BRP to provide us, Spyder Owners, with information that is relevant to the Spyders that a lot of us own. All of you folks (no names) who are using this thread to rant and rave, make personal attacks, and generally denigrate anyone who doesn't agree with you need to take a break and take your vitriol somewhere else. There has been enough of it on this forum already. If you feel like you have to knock people down, do it somewhere else. Got my fire suit on, so if you want to blast me, be my guest. Or, put me on "ignore". Whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 02-20-2015 at 10:41 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If anyone knows about the heat of a 2013 RT,.Ann does. Too bad those who never owned one or had money tied up in one try's to be the know it all expert on the subject.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone taken any oil temps first? The oil cooler isn't that big. I can't imagine a fan similar in size to do much, if anything.

Spyder Garage

BRPCare. You've stated that all's those affected will receive "written" notification by the end of February. Almost at the end of February now and to date haven't received any notification from BRP. My question Sir is does this written advice by BRP apply for 2013 RT Owners in USA and Canada or the owners of "all" 2013 RT Models world wide ?? Living in Australia where we constantly experience high ambient temperatures the heat I've experienced on numerous occasions is so bad that I'm simply unwilling to ride my RT on many, many occasions as I'm affray of it catching fire or my legs getting cooked. I always wear correct protective clothing but there has been several occasions where I've had extremely uncomfortable heat rash to my upper, inner thighs and right leg and foot. I find this so extremely disappointing after making such a major financial investment in a big boys toy. Having to limit my riding to days where the temperature of the day is not to hot ride my RT. Touring (which was the main reason for purchasing my RT) is completely out of the question due to these heat issues, just not prepared to travel to far from home. Thankfully BRP has finally admitted that there is not only an overheating issue but also a very real chance of the machine catching fire. SORRY have digressed. BRP are have now stated their intentions re looking after owners of 2013 RT's in Canada and the USA but what of those of us in Australia and come to think of it the rest of the world ?? Can we expect similar written notification from BRP in the same time frame as those in USA and Canada and then again in May (I believe was the date of the expected fix to be available) a further notification in writting when we can expect our 2013 RT's to have the fix fitted ?? Sincerely, Kenn Wightwick. (from sunny and quite often very hot Queensland, Australia)

Regards from Sunny Queensland, Australia

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KennW View Post
    Can we expect similar written notification from BRP in the same time frame as those in USA and Canada and then again in May (I believe was the date of the expected fix to be available) a further notification in writting when we can expect our 2013 RT's to have the fix fitted ?? Sincerely, Kenn Wightwick. (from sunny and quite often very hot Queensland, Australia)

Regards from Sunny Queensland, Australia
    Hi KennW,

Thanks for asking - yes, in fact, this recall will apply to owners of 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT model worldwide, including Australia. Once I have more information on how the recall will be deployed in other countries I'll let you know right away.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Hello Steve
    Can you clarify this part of the recall.

For US residents only
    If you believe that BRP has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1- 888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov

Thank you Rob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    Hello Steve
    Can you clarify this part of the recall.

For US residents only
    If you believe that BRP has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1- 888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov

Thank you Rob
    I doubt he will. I get the feeling that number will be called since the previous "fix" was a failure. How many years should we wait for a fix? JMHO. I still have not received the recall letter either. Good thing I am subscribed to NHTSA notifications via email. Now finding a dealer I can trust when the fix comes in is the problem. The only tech I trusted in SC quit last year and moved away.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment