Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Safety Recall - Elevated Temperature in Engine Compartment

Hi everyone,

We'd like to bring to your attention a voluntary safety recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT vehicles meant to address a risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

Some of you might have already seen the announcement for the safety recall on the Transport Canada website; we're expecting that it should be posted on the NHTSA site shortly as well. [UPDATE: NHTSA has now posted the recall as well.] Owners of affected units will also be mailed a letter to this effect.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread and we'll address them as best we can. Thank you all for your input, patience, support and cooperation in helping us identify and address this issue.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 02-26-2015 at 07:26 AM. Reason: formatting
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

so what will the fix be steve. i am sure people are going to want to know
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    so what will the fix be steve. i am sure people are going to want to know
    The Canadian link says the fix is "under development."

Should be available by May 2015.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The Canadian link says the fix is "under development."

Should be available by May 2015.
    i saw that buddy. just wanted to know if he would elaborate a lil on it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i saw that buddy. just wanted to know if he would elaborate a lil on it

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Does Not Care

T tried to make contact with BRP on several occasions re some kind of "klunkin" sounds in the front end of my 2013 STS SE5 along with the horrendous heat problem. They don't care. My dealer doesn't care. My wife seems not to care. I care! I am not so angry with BRP as I am disappointed with them. Oh well, life goes on. Love the contraption though. Just my "CanAm Lament."

Spyder Garage

Default recall

I am impressed with Can Am for this step!!
    Hopefully all those with these problems will now find relief.
    my 2 cents worth
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thrinsag View Post
    T tried to make contact with BRP on several occasions re some kind of "klunkin" sounds in the front end of my 2013 STS SE5 along with the horrendous heat problem. They don't care. My dealer doesn't care. My wife seems not to care. I care! I am not so angry with BRP as I am disappointed with them. Oh well, life goes on. Love the contraption though. Just my "CanAm Lament."
    You haven't exactly given us much to work off of here...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

​ALLELUIAAAAAA !!!
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Spyder Garage

I sure hope this relieves the boiling gas and gas fumes.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks..!!

for keeping the site informed. Hopefully you will have further updates as they develop. Looking forward to the solution...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank god hope this works

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Safety Recall

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You haven't exactly given us much to work off of here...
    Yeah, I know. I have sought help from the forums before and got great advice. I think I even got some from you (good advice , too!). I am just an old codger that can't get down low enough to try some of the suggestions. Hey, like the old saying, "when my butt gets lower than my knees, I get stuck. I am not angry, as I said in my post, just weary. As information, I have a loud klunking sound in the front end of my 2013 STS SE5 when it rocks from side to side. I can hear it on the road if I am. saaay under 30PMH. I have checked heim fittings, my sway bar, shocks and springs, tie rods, tightness of about every nut and bolt I can see and reach, but I can't see or get my hands all the way inside the machine yet to figure what else it could be. I am working on a lawnmower lift to raise the front end. I am extending the arms if the lift so they will accommodate the width of the front end and will lift it 30 inches. Then maybe I can get under enough to find out what it is. My dealer says it is just breaking in. So far I have broken it in for over about 9,800 miles. Huummm. The heat issue is typical of all the type posts I read: hot as hell but a lot more comfortable (I hope and trust). Thanks for your thoughts though. I just believe a company, Dealer or Manufacturer, should be a little concerned over complaints that seem to be more dangerous than a tire that won't hold airor a panel that is a misfit. I started my attempts to get some advice from the Dealer and BRP within a hundred miles of my purchase, and I bought it new with only a little under 4 miles on it. As I said before, I love my Spyder, and I will ride it till I wear it out, however long that takes, but I won't buy another unless things change drastically. Thanks again for your comment and interest.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The actual website states 2013 for the year and Spyder for the model. It doesn't specify RT.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

We'd like to bring to your attention a voluntary safety recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT vehicles meant to address a risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

Some of you might have already seen the announcement for the safety recall on the Transport Canada website; we're expecting that it should be posted on the NHTSA site shortly as well. Owners of affected units will also be mailed a letter to this effect.

Once the recall has been published on the NHTSA website, if you have any questions, please post them in this thread and we'll address them as best we can. Thank you all for your input, patience, support and cooperation in helping us identify and address this issue.
    What about us RS riders with crispy fried legs?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
    my 2 cents worth
    I am not impressed at all. BRP was forced into this recall by the findings and actions of NHTSA. BRP should have acted on this heat issue months ago.

Spyder Garage

Hi 03hdjill,

Quote Originally Posted by 03hdjill View Post
    The actual website states 2013 for the year and Spyder for the model. It doesn't specify RT.
    This recall addresses an issue occurring on the 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models. Due to differences in airflow within the engine compartment, engine configuration and various other factors, only 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models are included in this recall.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi 03hdjill,

This recall addresses an issue occurring on the 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models. Due to differences in airflow within the engine compartment, engine configuration and various other factors, only 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models are included in this recall.
    The Canadian Road Safety Recall bulletin just said all 2013 Can-Am Spyders. That will surely cause a lot of confusion.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Now that could be a major event at Spyderfest 2015.

Spyder Garage

Default RT Fix?

I hope they have a fix that will actually work, I would like to actually ride my Spyder instead of it being a centerpiece for my garage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
    my 2 cents worth

Your impressed because the NHTSA forced them into a recall situation?

Frankly it should have been investigated and repaired over a year ago. Not 2 model years later and after being told repeatedly it was all in our heads that there was nothing wrong with the bikes.

Yes, I am glad to hear something is finally in the work. But again wait a few months and we might do something. I will believe its a real fix when I see it work. Until then, I really think this 'voluntary' business is yet another attempt to stave off having to do much of anything. Hope I am wrong, but its the way we have been treated so far. They also better be willing to update any of the 2013s that have already had work done to them by the owner trying to make the bikes safe and usable while waiting for BRP to get around to doing something.

I actually hope its body panels, an insulated gas tank and retrofit of the reversing fan from the 2014s.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 02-17-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Arrow Thanks to one police department incident report and NHTSA

Short of that single incident(the cops spyder), and one other conveniently linked to it. Nothing would have gotten better. imo

Failure to support what one sells is why we are forced to have BIG BROTHER looking out for us.

Hope the fix works for all who own 13's.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Don't get too exited about this. I think it is the same thing I was a a volunteer for in August.

1. One exhaust shroud

2. Drilled 50 holes under seat at the rear

3. Side vent deflectors (which I had already bought)

4. Reverse the fan below 6 MPH

This did absolutely no good to solve any of the Heat or Gas fume problems for those of us who participated in this experimental program for BRP.

After Pitbull deleted the CAT and the above program did nothing I traded for a 2014 with none of the Heat and Gas Fume problems. This Major design problem will never be solved by all these Band Aids. It Will take a Major Design change or retrofit with the 1330 engine that BRP is not willing to finance. Meanwhile they will continue to string everyone along and give them false Hope IMHO. I do have a licensed flight and mechanical engineering back ground but by no means am I an expert.

A lot of money has been wasted by owners trying to solve BRP's mishap. The 2013 RT was to have a new frame and the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission. At crunch time the 1330 Engine and Transmission were not ready. BRP decided to use the 998 engine in the new frame designed for the 1330 engine. There in lies the major problem. The 998 was barely able to fit properly due to the higher frame and less space and placing the exhaust and engine too close to the gas tank. It was this decision that has caused all the heartburn for a lot of us and cost us an arm an a leg. For those in the northern climes the problem is less due to the lower mean temps. BRP told us this as we were doing research to try to solve the problem and learned the problem was worse on the 2013 than the 2010, 2011, 2012.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 02-18-2015 at 09:38 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Jack

We can always depend on you for a straightforward answer. That is refreshing. Keep it up.