Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyders riding in groups with motorcycles?

This is likely a bit of a crazy question so please chip in if anyone has recommendations;

1. Last year I rode a great deal with Members of my club on large group rides. None had Spyders.
    2. This year I have replaced my motorcycle with a 2014 RT Ltd but I cannot ride it until April due to the snow and now I have the only Spyder in the group...ha ha...their loss!
    3. I am a Ride Captain with my Club and often lead rides.
    4. I do realize a Spyder is wider than a normal motorcycle and with that being the case, it is not possible to entirely maintain the left lane position while leading meaning I would be riding more in the centre of the lane.
    5. We ride in staggered positions.....with a minimum of 2 seconds directly between the bike in front for safety purposes.
    6. So....my question is, when motorcycles are following a Spyder that is leading, would the bike that is following in the right hand portion of the lane follow 2 seconds behind the Spyder? Hope I am explaining this properly. I suspect this will be the case, but just wanted the opinion of fellow Spyder riders who have experienced this as well as any other comments you many have.

Thanks,
    Ken

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken613834 View Post
    This is likely a bit of a crazy question so please chip in if anyone has recommendations;

1. Last year I rode a great deal with Members of my club on large group rides. None had Spyders.
    2. This year I have replaced my motorcycle with a 2014 RT Ltd but I cannot ride it until April due to the snow and now I have the only Spyder in the group...ha ha...their loss!
    4. I do realize a Spyder is wider than a normal motorcycle and with that being the case, it is not possible to entirely maintain the left lane position while leading meaning I would be riding more in the centre of the lane.
    5. We ride in staggered positions.....with a minimum of 2 seconds directly between the bike in front for safety purposes.
    6. So....my question is, when motorcycles are following a Spyder that is leading, would the bike that is following in the right hand portion of the lane follow 2 seconds behind the Spyder? Hope I am explaining this properly. I suspect this will be the case, but just wanted the opinion of fellow Spyder riders who have experienced this as well as any other comments you many have.

Thanks,
    Ken
    I think the bike following 2 seconds behind and offset from the Spyder up front will be fine. Our group rides with motorcycles on Charity Rides all the time, we try to spread ourselves throughout the group rather than ride all together in a staggered formation, as this can be almost like a rolling road block lolol. We use the same rules that you mentioned, until its time to go and play
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Thanks,
    Ken
    Been there and done that too!

: Staggered is the way our group rides. 's take up a little more room, but they will ride either to the right of center or to the left of center depending on where they fall in the line.

: We do bunch up at stop signs to maintain the integrity of the group.

: The two second rule on the highway is good. A bit hard to do it around town unless you want to invite cars into the line. We maintain "in town" spacing where necessary.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I think the bike following 2 seconds behind and offset from the Spyder up front will be fine. Our group rides with motorcycles on Charity Rides all the time, we try to spread ourselves throughout the group rather than ride all together in a staggered formation, as this can be almost like a rolling road block lolol. We use the same rules that you mentioned, until its time to go and play
    Cool....great...thanks Colin.

Spyder Garage

Traditionally, all group rides should be lead by 2-wheeled bikes. When riding in a group the lead rider should ride in the left 1/3 of the lane and all other 2-wheeled bikes ride staggered off the lead rider (Leader = left, #2 bike = right, #3 bike = left, etc.).

If trikes are in the group, they should not be mixed in with the 2-wheeled riders. Instead, they should ride behind all of the 2-wheeled motorcycles and they should ride in the center of the lane in a single file formation.

If by chance the lead rider is going to be a trike, then it should ride in the center of the lane and the 2-wheeled bikes should ride behind trike in the traditional staggered formation, starting with the left 1/3 of the lane (trike = center of lane, #2 bike = left, #3 bike = right, #4 bike = left, etc.).

Hope this helps!!!
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

I also should have added:

We usually keep all the three wheeled vehicles in the same group. One exception: Three wheelers make great sweeper vehicles in a group. We usually have a max # of 8 or so in a group. Just to make it easier for cars to get around the pack if they want.

Pack riding is not for everyone and we also took special care with "newbies." We had a special group for them and both the ride captain and the sweeper were aware of the new to the pack riders. This was my idea and job for a couple years. We gave them special instruction concerning group riding safety, etc.

The group I ride with is now in its eighteenth season. There has never been an accident incident in its history. Knock on wood.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-16-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with if your in front on your spyder just ride in the middle as normal and the guys behind you can start the stagger formation. Probably better to have a spyder up front IMO as they are more visible to oncoming traffic especially if your doing canyons. Then if you have another id have it bring up the rear. I have only group ridden on 2 wheels and its fun but there is always someone lagging behind or running up your a** but if you get a good group together it can be fun. I will be doing the socal burn ride this year on my spyder.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

6. So....my question is, when motorcycles are following a Spyder that is leading, would the bike that is following in the right hand portion of the lane follow 2 seconds behind the Spyder?
    That should work, in daylight. The GWRRA riding manual recommends 1 sec behind in staggered formation, 2 seconds behind in follow formation. Double the times in the dark and adverse riding conditions.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My wife was the road captain for our CMA chapter and the two wheelers took up normal stagger position behind her. The rest of us three wheels took up the rear. I normally rode tail gunner because we have Bluetooth and can talk from front to back keeping thinks smooth during the ride. Anything is possible as long as you keep safety up front in your planning.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default This is how we do it...

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Rider View Post
    Traditionally, all group rides should be lead by 2-wheeled bikes. When riding in a group the lead rider should ride in the left 1/3 of the lane and all other 2-wheeled bikes ride staggered off the lead rider (Leader = left, #2 bike = right, #3 bike = left, etc.).

If trikes are in the group, they should not be mixed in with the 2-wheeled riders. Instead, they should ride behind all of the 2-wheeled motorcycles and they should ride in the center of the lane in a single file formation.

If by chance the lead rider is going to be a trike, then it should ride in the center of the lane and the 2-wheeled bikes should ride behind trike in the traditional staggered formation, starting with the left 1/3 of the lane (trike = center of lane, #2 bike = left, #3 bike = right, #4 bike = left, etc.).

Hope this helps!!!
    We do it exactly this way. I have been a ride captain as well as tail gunner...works well

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with trikes leading. I'm the senior road captain for our RC and I lead quite a bit. I also ride to the left and the other bikes fall in as usual. I have also ridden in many group rides where three wheelers are interspersed throughout the group. The bottom line is the Road Captain or Ride Captain is in charge and that person sets the line up.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great comments everyone.....thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see little difference in a Trike leading then a two wheeler. The ride captian should know the abilities of the group, on two or three wheels. I have ridden in the middle, lead or tail/drag. GWRRA Ride Captian.
    If somebody is available and can do it, a Trike for tail or close to itcan be a help if a rider runs off the road or goes down. CB and cell phone on hand. The trike can be safely stopped where a two wheeler can not be be. like on a slant edge of road. Just my opinion, of course
    Oldmanzues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no problem with any of the suggestions.

But when a Spyder is leading, they can't always "stagger" to the left. Some roads will just kill you if they're heavily traveled and have well-worn tracks. I'll try to stagger, but end up having to ride the center, smoother area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Being wider; we just don't have the luxury of choices when it comes to placement within a lane...
    Obstacles can be a whole lot of fun; they're tough to miss with all three wheel tracks!
    (This is why I'll always choose to ride tailgunner..)

(Patti, I almost hit the "Me too" button; that wasn't!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I have no problem with any of the suggestions.

But when a Spyder is leading, they can't always "stagger" to the left. Some roads will just kill you if they're heavily traveled and have well-worn tracks. I'll try to stagger, but end up having to ride the center, smoother area.
    You are going to get a lot of practice with tire track grooves this summer. We allow studded snow tires and they eat up the roads. You will learn the placement dance pretty quick.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Spyders can normally brake later into the corner and obviously the entry/exit characteristics are different. This can be a disconcerting to 2 wheelers who have not ridden with Spyders before. Just something to keep in mind if your doing a twisty route.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the Info

Being as I'm going to transition from two to three wheels and do ride in several group rides per season this information you folks have shared will help me out. I've been on two wheeled motorcycles for nearly 45 years so some adjusting will be part of the experience. Thanks!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Excellent feedback...thanks!

We are gearing up to train our Ride Captains soon and wanted to put together a program that introduces them to Spyders or similar machines. I am transitioning from a 2 wheeled motorcycle having ridden since the 70's, to a three wheeler. I have taken one out for a ride last Fall but have not ridden in groups yet due to the winter weather, so it will likely take some adjustment on my behalf but I am ready for it and welcome the opportunity to learn.

Additionally, since all of the riders in my Club own two wheelers, I have the "distinction" of having the only Spyder, so I guess I will "stand out" so to speak! So, just wanted to come up with the proper riding parameters to ensure everyone is aware of how Spyders handle, where they should be placed in rides, safety isssues, etc since I do lead a high percentage of our rides.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow See you at the next stop....with

at least a 30 second gap. There's enough going on out there without having to worry about another rider (whom I likely know nothing about) busting through my back door. If ya get my drift.

Not likely to be a popular opinion....but, it's mine.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Last year at our Road Captains course, it was mentioned ,discussed and agreed upon that all trikes ride at the back of the group and Spyders and trikes do not ride in staggered riding position but ride in single file. We had a motorcycle cop at our course and he agreed too.
    Last year my wife took the Ontario Spyder Course at Georgian College. In the course they were taught that spyders do not follow traditional motorcycle tire track rules, they just ride in the center of the lane like a car does.
    The course is sanctioned by the Ontario Government. Her final test was on a spyder and the test course was set up for spyders. She passed and has a motorcycle license with a restriction on it that she can only ride motor trikes and motorcycles with sidecars attached to them.
    I am a member of CMC "Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers"
    There are a few of us that ride with spyders and we all feel more safe at the back of the pack and that way if any motorcycle gets into trouble you are well out the way.
    Last edited by Marker; 02-17-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm the only Spyder in our club and usually ride Tail gunner. It keeps everything tight and smooth and the Road Captain can see me better than others. I think leading would be fine too, just like a Pace Car!

Spyder Garage

We ride with a number of groups. In all cases Spyder stagger too. (unless road conditions or obstructions prevent it) There is just no way to see ahead if all are riding single file down the middle of the lane. We do tend to place the spyders in the back but its mostly because if they are up front they tend to ride off and leave the leaners behind.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Spyders can normally brake later into the corner and obviously the entry/exit characteristics are different. This can be a disconcerting to 2 wheelers who have not ridden with Spyders before. Just something to keep in mind if your doing a twisty route.

Yikes! your riding on the wrong side of the road man. Just kidding, beautiful country New Zealand.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

We ride staggered like everyone else. No problems at all!