Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Bought a 2014 Spyder RT limited - Black Anything I should get before I ride?

I bought a new 2014 RT limited Black Spyder and have never even rode a Spyder. It is pure torture as the bike is sitting at the dealer in it's create..... which means I never seen it either. Now all I can do is wait for the snow to melt and the roads to be cleaned of all the winter salt.

Seeing as how I will be waiting till end of March to ride it I was wondering what are some must haves for this unit? Do I need a skid plate or something else like that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vrider View Post
    I bought a new 2014 RT limited Black Spyder and have never even rode a Spyder. It is pure torture as the bike is sitting at the dealer in it's create..... which means I never seen it either. Now all I can do is wait for the snow to melt and the roads to be cleaned of all the winter salt.

Seeing as how I will be waiting till end of March to ride it I was wondering what are some must haves for this unit? Do I need a skid plate or something else like that?

Skid plate is the first thing i would put on, after you ride it for about 5-600 miles i suggest bajaRons sway bar and helm links (the reason i say to wait is so that you will be able to tell the difference), one other thing you will want is the Windshield bracket may be foundry gray, if so get it powder coated satin black.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Congratrulations, i just purchased a 2014 RT-S yesterday, (white), and while it will be delivered the first of March I won't be able to ride till about first of May since having knee replaced first week of March. I asked dealer about additions and he probably wisely said ride it a while then decide what you need or want. Enjoy and who know might see you down the road.
    Ken, (Gator37)
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gator37 View Post
    Congratrulations, i just purchased a 2014 RT-S yesterday, (white), and while it will be delivered the first of March I won't be able to ride till about first of May since having knee replaced first week of March. I asked dealer about additions and he probably wisely said ride it a while then decide what you need or want. Enjoy and who know might see you down the road.
    Ken, (Gator37)

That is good advice except for the bumpskid, it won't change your ride any, it just protects the front end of your Spyder, and Spyderpops now has the new Bumpskid with inlaid LED lights for extra visibility as seen here.

batmobile.jpg this is a 2014 RTS SE6

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Skid plate is the first thing i would put on, after you ride it for about 5-600 miles i suggest bajaRons sway bar and helm links (the reason i say to wait is so that you will be able to tell the difference), one other thing you will want is the Windshield bracket may be foundry gray, if so get it powder coated satin black.

Cruzr Joe

Do you have any particular brand of skid plate that you would suggest?

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    That is good advice except for the bumpskid, it won't change your ride any, it just protects the front end of your Spyder, and Spyderpops now has the new Bumpskid with inlaid LED lights for extra visibility as seen here.

batmobile.jpg this is a 2014 RTS SE6

Cruzr Joe
    This answers my question.... lol I will look into ordering one and having the dealer install it before I pick it up. I like the lighting too..

Spyder Garage

This answers my question.... lol I will look into ordering one and having the dealer install it before I pick it up. I like the lighting too..

You may have to order the bumpskid from Spyderpops and take it to your dealer because he will not have any. (Spyderpops 501 627-4008).

The first time you hit a curb wrong you will be glad you put a bumpskid on.

Cruzr joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gator37 View Post
    Ken, (Gator37)
    Ken.....

Congrats on your new purchase as well. Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy riding.

Spyder Garage

congrats, first thing you should do is sit and look at to to admire it, and than find good sites that sell accessories and with your credit card just keep saying CHA CHING
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

The very first thing you should have is a tank full of gas
    Because you will use it all taking the long way home from the dealer
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Default Everything

Yep to all the advise you have been given up to this point. Full tank of gas and the long way home as suggested. Bump Skid Plate is a must. Then the Swaybar. After that you will tweak it a lot to make it your own. I bought one a few months ago and have added the Skid Plate, Swaybar and just today I put on a Show Chrome luggage rack and Spyderpops stainless steel mesh covers front and back. Ordered some chrome handlebar end caps yesterday. TricLed lights for the front fenders and back saddlebags are next. Enjoy your new toy and ride safe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i would checkout tricked.com for bumpskid. They have a special- purchase anything over 60 get free shipping. When I purchased my bumpskid it was cheaper then buying directly from spyderpops. Just a suggestion!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to Spyder ownership fellow

Wisconsinite.... I would do the Baja Ron sway bar right away, excellent investment.... Have the dealer do a laser alignment as well prior to your taking delivery and you will be riding a truly enjoyable machine. Maybe a cup holder as well.....

Good Luck, and lets hope we can ride in 6-8 weeks!!!!!!
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default I would say...

get your owners manual now, read it cover to cover. Learn all you can from the the do and do not's here on the forum pages then ryde till your comfortable. Then you can start looking at safety items followed by comfort items lastly the sparkly stuff. Congrats on your new ryde..!! may your weather clear soon..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sure you have sat on the RT, but have you sat on one that had the TriAxis handlebars? If you are even thinking about getting them it will probably save you some $$ if you have them installed when the Spyder is being assembled.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

First of all: and on your new ride.

Yes, there will be agony and anticipation and the days will roll by in slow motion until you are able to bring the new home.

Good idea of studying the owners manual--it is big and a real job to go through. Also get the DVD that comes with the bike. Good information and lots of fun to watch the in action.

I recommend putting on about a thousand miles or so before doing to much to the in the way of operating mods.

I do recommend the Custom Dynamics trunk light bar--you can't have too many lights. I also added a Utopia drivers backrest to mine immediately. I need the backrest for medical support though.

You will either like or hate the stock seat. I have kept mine--now at 10,000 miles. I have changed the seats out on the previous four 's that I have owned--so that is saying something about the current seat for me.

Let us know how things progress and please post some pictures when you can.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

One thing you must have is "FUN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and maybe some gas get three on the road and away you go
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    congrats, first thing you should do is sit and look at to to admire it, and than find good sites that sell accessories and with your credit card just keep saying CHA CHING
    All I can say is....... lol CHA CHING... I better not become a farkle nut.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I must be the only Spyder rider that hasn't done any "farkles" to my bike. I bought mine used and the CAT Bypass was already done, and that is all I wanted to do to it anyway. The Beast looks good and I can hit triple digits on the Speedo and my Spyder rides straight and true. Riding it for awhile is the best advice. Evaluate your bike to see if there is anything you need to do to make it ride safe and smooth, before you start spending a ton of money to make it look better. Guessing I may get some dislikes on this post, but they will all change to Mee Too's in a couple of weeks.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new purchase. I am with the above. Drive it a few hundred miles first, and then see what you need. I purchased mine on 9/26/14 and have been very pleased. My first add on was after a 650 mile weekend ride. I was very happy with the seat, but wanted more leg room. So my first addition was a comfort seat for the additional 2". Then I came across a great deal on a 4" wider windshield, so I purchased that (mainly because I want to cut my stock one down for a shorter version for the summer months). After about the 2.5k mile mark, I decided that I wanted a back rest to help with the comfort on the longer rides. My latest addition was a drivers cup holder on the right handle bar. My next addition (hopefully in the next month or so) will be a set of floor boards, again for comfort. All of these items I have been able to install myself. My next set of upgrades before spring will probably be things for safety and visibility, such as a 3rd. brake light.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I must be the only Spyder rider that hasn't done any "farkles" to my bike. I bought mine used and the CAT Bypass was already done, and that is all I wanted to do to it anyway. The Beast looks good and I can hit triple digits on the Speedo and my Spyder rides straight and true. Riding it for awhile is the best advice. Evaluate your bike to see if there is anything you need to do to make it ride safe and smooth, before you start spending a ton of money to make it look better. Guessing I may get some dislikes on this post, but they will all change to Mee Too's in a couple of weeks.
    I do see one mod on your Spyder...

Shorty Antenna

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I do see one mod on your Spyder...

Shorty Antenna

Bob
    You are correct Sir, as usual, but that and the CAT bypass, oops, second exhaust, were there when I bought it. I just think that way too much time and money are put into these bikes, when I think they look and ride pretty darn good. I get comments from all kinds of people whenever I am riding my bike. If I am parked somewhere, someone is always coming up to me to ask about the Spyder and tell me how cool it is. They don't need anything else to look good. I know I am in the minority on this, but that's okay. I like being different

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I think the question from a new owner should be....

....what should I be doing prior to riding my new Spyder and not what to add to an already great machine. Additions are rather personal in nature; one persons meat is another persons poison. But I do have a few recommendations for you:

1. Read the post dedicated to new riders - full of great tips:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

2. Beg, borrow, or steal the Owners Manual and really read it. Plus as part of the Owners Manual package is a DVD that covers a LOT of the details of how the different safety features of your Spyder work.

3. Now you might want to put something on your new Spyder that shows it off from the rest. How about a decal - and they can be removed if desired. I've added some to all my Spyders.

http://www.twistedchrome.com/

4. And there is always the Laser Alignment - well worth the cost.

Enjoy your new ride. Come on warmer weather!!

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You are correct Sir, as usual, but that and the CAT bypass, oops, second exhaust, were there when I bought it. I just think that way too much time and money are put into these bikes, when I think they look and ride pretty darn good. I get comments from all kinds of people whenever I am riding my bike. If I am parked somewhere, someone is always coming up to me to ask about the Spyder and tell me how cool it is. They don't need anything else to look good. I know I am in the minority on this, but that's okay. I like being different
    I am with you. I do have a few mods, but they were done for my comfort. I like all the LED's, and everything just as much as anyone, but I normally do not do it to my bikes. I have been riding only 9 years, and the spyder makes my 11th ride. I just seem to change up quite often so it works best for me to keep the mods to the minimum. You will only recoup 25-50% of your investment, so when you do them, you need to make sure they are something that you really want. Besides this spyder, I have always bought used, so I end up getting some nice mods at a reduced price after someone else have done them. Another advantage is to purchase the mods or extras used.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I pretty much agree on the looks part.

Ours did have some handling concerns and with some simple alignment tweaks is now very good. The oem seat was nice in the dealership, but was not for us. Not about looks but rather, simply comfort. We ride a lot at night, the lights upgrade was worth the money and time for safety and less stress while riding. There were other small changes we made, but overall, the appearance is still stock and most were just to make what was good better.

PK