Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default THANKS FOR THE VIDEO

JUST REPLACED MY BATTERY IN MY 2012 RT. WENT TO THE DEALER AND HE WANTED $155 FOR THE BATTERY AND $150 LABOR. DECIDED TO TRY THIS MYSELF. TOOK LESS THAN AN HOUR. WENT TO ORIELLY AND GOT A SUPER START, ETX 18L FOR $110 AND A $25 GIFT CARD, SO SAVED 150 ON LABOR AND $65 ON A BATTERY, THANKS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by meatman View Post
    JUST REPLACED MY BATTERY IN MY 2012 RT. WENT TO THE DEALER AND HE WANTED $155 FOR THE BATTERY AND $150 LABOR. DECIDED TO TRY THIS MYSELF. TOOK LESS THAN AN HOUR. WENT TO ORIELLY AND GOT A SUPER START, ETX 18L FOR $110 AND A $25 GIFT CARD, SO SAVED 150 ON LABOR AND $65 ON A BATTERY, THANKS

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Found at Amazon

Looks like Amazon has them a little cheaper, just want to verify this is the right battery for a 2012 RT

https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM725...=YTX24HL+yuasa
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Second replacement

Bob,
    I just reviewed your video for the second time. I replaced the battery in wife's 2011 RT after watching your vid. I looked up again just now and re-found your vid. Refreshed my memory. I haven't purchased a replacement yet, but will remove and first choice is Battery Plus. I have had good luck with them and Goldwing batteries. After I'm finished, I'll post my efforts. Thanks again for your video Bob.
    Joe in Modesto

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jomamma1 View Post
    Bob,
    I just reviewed your video for the second time. I replaced the battery in wife's 2011 RT after watching your vid. I looked up again just now and re-found your vid. Refreshed my memory. I haven't purchased a replacement yet, but will remove and first choice is Battery Plus. I have had good luck with them and Goldwing batteries. After I'm finished, I'll post my efforts. Thanks again for your video Bob.
    Joe in Modesto
    Your welcome Joe... Glad I could help.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Looks like I need to replace my YUASA after three years. The original BRP battery lasted from 2010 to 2014. I put in the YUASA in October 2014 and this now needs to be pulled and replaced.

It needs a battery tender EVERY night. I failed to do that once, and it would not turn over the next morning. I have missed that a few times and thus missed riding for the day.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Be sure the battery is fully charged before you install it. Don't rely on the dealer to have it charged,charge it your self on a slow charger.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Hi Sopher,

Re: Looks like I need to replace my YUASA after three years.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...TX24HL+Battery+

I have a '08 GS & bought this; del'd on 4 Aug. The box said that it had been fully charged on 2 Aug.

I put my Battery Tender Junior on it and nothing happened after about 6-7 hours. Took the BT Jr of & rehooked it up next day & about 2-4 hrs later it was fully charged. I say '2-4 hrs' because I was not paying that much attention; just noticed later in the day that the green light was on.

In three years my Spyder has never started so fast.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I bought my Spyder in the Spring of '14 & when it started hesitating on start-up last month, I decided that my three yrs were up.

PPS) Before I bought this battery I called Yuasa and made sure that this was the one for my '08.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Battery removal vs battery tender 2012RT

I'm in NH....should I pull the battery and store inside or connect Battery Tender? RT is stored in confined area so I'd have to pull battery in its final location..Would rather run battery tender to where it stays for the winter.

Thoughts??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Your welcome Joe... Glad I could help.

Bob
    One little "helper" tip that I came up with while replacing my battery (2010 RT-SE5). Because the 2 terminal nuts are of the slide-in type (under the open-ended square terminal "bridges"), I set the nuts in place while the battery was on the work bench - and then cut two 3/4 inch square pieces of spare foam rubber, soaked them just a little with oil, and then squeezed the foam rubber pieces in under the nuts in order to secure them in-place while manipulating the battery back into it's holder. It works wonders. They act like a spring to hold the nuts up where they need to be, and the oil keeps the foam rubber from drying out and prevents corrosion from forming in that square cavity. Makes the job much easier.

Spyder Garage

Thank for sharing. It's very helpful.

Spyder Garage

Default Super price on OEM battery YTX24HL

Yuasa YTX24HL battery for $90. $80 less than dealer. Just installed mine.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/YUASA-YTX...SABEgIwYvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Lots of lessons learned today as the official BRP service manual was completely incorrect as you will see I found out the hard way today.

But in this video I also talks about a -BS battery (bottle filled) vs a OEM battery direct from Yashua.
    So please be aware of this fact.
    I went with the 24L-BS because I did not know about this issue.
    Personally I think it will be fine but I will let everyone know as time goes on.
    Anyway here is my video on replacing the battery and my experiences.

I also show a trick to remove the mid-side panel off an RT without removing all the other panels

Hope you all enjoy this video and that it was helpful to someone!

Enjoy,
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richard2762 View Post
    BikeMaster Lithium Ion 500 CCA DLFP-50N18L-A...$209.64.....Motorcycle PARTS 2U SKU:780831-TR
    Is it Lithium Ion or Lithium Iron? I have started replacing my batteries with the Lithium Iron from Shorai, I figured it has held up remarkably in my Ducati so far. Left the bike in another state untouched for over 6 months as I had gone to hospital and had to recuperate before I could go fetch it. Got it home and started right up! I just installed one in my Honda C70 with electric start and is great. I have one ready to go in my baby Harley next. They are in the 150.00 range depending on size from Battery Mart. I was getting the AGM Big Crank MADE IN USA from them for my full size Harleys and average 4 years life from them.