Thread: sts to f3s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default sts to f3s

I have a 2014 sts that does not like me! It's back in the shop for the third time in 6 moaths!!! So I walked over to the f3 and I'm not a big fanned of the Looks but I love how you ride on it! So my question is I've had 2 spyders first one was a rs I put 35000 miles on in less then 2 years! Second one sts I've had it 6 months and have over 9000 miles on it! So with this f3 can you lay down some miles and be in comfort? I was planning some big trips this year???!

Spyder Garage

You are a long mileage rider. Lots of F3's now hitting the road. Not a lot of reports about mileage and long trips happening yet.

Maybe Lamont will share his impressions on your question about miles in comfort.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default if you like it, go for it

I got mine about noon last Friday and had 570 miles on it by Sunday night -- I'd say it's pretty comfortable for riding long periods of time. Make sure it's fit for you though. Many of the dealerships have parts of the U-fit system but not all the parts needed to have the "fitting dummy" set up. I thought stock foot position (#3) was comfortable when I sat on my F3-S in the store and parking lot, but within 10 miles, my left knee started yelling at me. I was going to go back and get the position 4 linkage (1 notch longer) that same day but a series of accidents that happened between us and our route back to the dealership caused us to have to change our route enough that it was easier to head home on Friday and just go back on Saturday morning. The new position made it SO much more comfortable, I could ride all day every day.

We spent most of Sunday riding 2 up, and the passenger seat is much less comfortable than the RT (the backrest is on backorder, so I'm unsure whether having one would add to the comfort or not). If you ride mostly 1-up like I do, I don't see any reason to not get it and use it for long distances. I will be.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm trying to decide between these two so this is an interesting conversation for me. I go back and forth from day to day.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I got mine about noon last Friday and had 570 miles on it by Sunday night -- I'd say it's pretty comfortable for riding long periods of time. Make sure it's fit for you though. Many of the dealerships have parts of the U-fit system but not all the parts needed to have the "fitting dummy" set up. I thought stock foot position (#3) was comfortable when I sat on my F3-S in the store and parking lot, but within 10 miles, my left knee started yelling at me. I was going to go back and get the position 4 linkage (1 notch longer) that same day but a series of accidents that happened between us and our route back to the dealership caused us to have to change our route enough that it was easier to head home on Friday and just go back on Saturday morning. The new position made it SO much more comfortable, I could ride all day every day.

We spent most of Sunday riding 2 up, and the passenger seat is much less comfortable than the RT (the backrest is on backorder, so I'm unsure whether having one would add to the comfort or not). If you ride mostly 1-up like I do, I don't see any reason to not get it and use it for long distances. I will be.
    You have put some miles on it and glad to hear that it's comfortable. I'm hoping to know in the next day or so if my poor sts will get me enough money to get the F3!!! I hope we get some more feed back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You are a long mileage rider. Lots of F3's now hitting the road. Not a lot of reports about mileage and long trips happening yet.

Maybe Lamont will share his impressions on your question about miles in comfort.
    As you may or may not know I worked with BRP for 4+ years on the F3 project and the idea was to bring a long distance cruiser style Spyder to the market. The ergos match pretty much all cruisers and I've never had a problem putting 1000 mile days on any of my cruisers and the F3 will be no different.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    As you may or may not know I worked with BRP for 4+ years on the F3 project and the idea was to bring a long distance cruiser style Spyder to the market. The ergos match pretty much all cruisers and I've never had a problem putting 1000 mile days on any of my cruisers and the F3 will be no different.
    Well looks like that answers our question!! Thank you...

Spyder Garage

Default If it fits....

wear it. Set up right you should be able to cruise to your hearts content. Storage is greatly reduced so set yourself up with some extra bags. Even the RS has more space. A test ryde sould do the trick...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I think it's the most comfortable Spyder made so far. I will ride this one a lot further.

Spyder Garage

Default How tall are you

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post

How tall are you ?

F3S - 2015 magnesium (BR windshield, heated grip, USB, extra 12 V, Zumo 590), backrest, saddlebags, floorboards. Laser alignment.
    ST Limited 2014
    Bajaron Sway-bar
    laser alignmet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LV2RYDE View Post
    How tall are you ?
    5' 6.5" short torso, long arms & legs. 29" inseam if that helps.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default 6 Feet tall

I'm six feet tall and have a 32 inch inseam, so the footpegs will have to go ahead to the #5 position. I'm also heavier at 220 pounds so I'm not sure if the rear shock will need more preload to prevent bottoming out. I haven't even demoed an F3 yet, much less bought one as our Ohio Winter weather hasn't taken the hint and left yet. I'm thinking that adding my wife on the back will require more preload for sure. Other things like accessories will have to wait until I transact a purchase.

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'1" in the #5 position and boy does it sit Great!