Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAT DELETE

Spyder Garage

Default CAT DELETE

I just bought an F3-S, and i'd like to ask all you SL people a question....

IF YOU REMOVE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER (BRP = pre-muffler), has you dealer informed you that it will violate the warranty....?????

curious.....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post

IF YOU REMOVE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER (BRP = pre-muffler), has you dealer informed you that it will violate the warranty....?????

curious.....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Although Illegal. People do it and aslong as you live where emissions testing is not done its probably not an issue. But

Spyder Garage

Not illegal (except maybe in California) catalytic converters are not required on motorcycles.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Not illegal (except maybe in California) catalytic converters are not required on motorcycles.

Cruzr Joe
    My mistake! I didn't know that

Spyder Garage

There are different warranties on the bike. One is for the emissions system, and if you modify the emissions system, which includes the cat, then the warranty on that is usually considered void.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hear of some dealers that will install the cat delete pipe.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

curious.....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Dan,

My understanding of vehicle warranty law, at least in the US, is that a manufacturer cannot deny warranty due to an alteration unless they can ascertain that the defect they are denying warranty for happened as a result of the alteration. Obviously the manufacturer has some latitude in their interpretation of that situation, but at least they may have to defend their denial if challenged legally. The fact that the modification may be illegal in certain states is a separate issue. I've had the cat removed on my 2013 RT for safety reasons relating to the issues that BRP is now dealing with with the NHTSA. So they would be hard pressed to deny my entire warranty as a result of that modification; and in fact, they continue to provide me with warranty service.

I'm curious though, to know why you would consider removing the cat on an F3? I wouldn't think there would be much to be gained there in either the reduction of heat or the slight gain in HP.
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-11-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Dan,

My understanding of vehicle warranty law, at least in the US, is that a manufacturer cannot deny warranty due to an alteration unless they can ascertain that the defect they are denying warranty for happened as a result of the alteration. Obviously the manufacturer has some latitude in their interpretation of that situation, but at least they may have to defend their denial if challenged legally. The fact that the modification may be illegal in certain states is a separate issue. I've had the cat removed on my 2013 RT for safety reasons relating to the issues that BRP is now dealing with with the NHTSA. So they would be hard pressed to deny my entire warranty as a result of that modification; and in fact, they continue to provide me with warranty service.

I'm curious though, to know why you would consider removing the cat on an F3? I wouldn't think there would be much to gained there in either the reduction of heat or the slight gain in HP.
    Because the sound is great!

Spyder Garage

Nope. And they don't need to say anything about it. Closest thing they are allowed to say is to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    There are different warranties on the bike. One is for the emissions system, and if you modify the emissions system, which includes the cat, then the warranty on that is usually considered void.
    So, from what you just have wrote; if the brakes on the Spyder go out, the warranty is void because I removed the "cat"...
    Read below.

My understanding of vehicle warranty law, at least in the US, is that a manufacturer cannot deny warranty due to an alteration unless they can ascertain that the defect they are denying warranty for happened as a result of the alteration. Obviously the manufacturer has some latitude in their interpretation of that situation, but at least they may have to defend their denial if challenged legally. The fact that the modification may be illegal in certain states is a separate issue. I've had the cat removed on my 2013 RT for safety reasons relating to the issues that BRP is now dealing with with the NHTSA. So they would be hard pressed to deny my entire warranty as a result of that modification; and in fact, they continue to provide me with warranty service..

Correct. This is known as the Magnuson-Moss act. The dealer has to contact the manufacturer of ANY warranty work so if they find that the malfunctioning item went wrong because of unauthorized workmanship, then the manufacturer has the right to void the warranty and tell the dealer to charge the customer. Otherwise, it is up to the dealer to determine if the damage was caused by unauthorized parts and work. This is why your warranty won't be denied as long as the root cause of the issue was not caused by any alterations.

I'm curious though, to know why you would consider removing the cat on an F3? I wouldn't think there would be much to gained there in either the reduction of heat or the slight gain in HP.
    with Lamont. I have compared the sound before and after on the F3 and it sounds more aggressive and you will be heard on the road!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Oh. Well yeah, there IS that. My 2013 RT sounds a bit deeper and throatier after the cat bypass. Not too loud though, with the stock muffler still in place. When I ordered it, the parts guy at PitBull said it would "make my spyder sound like a real bike".

That was fourth on my list of reasons for installing the cat bypass on my 2013 RTL. The first three were...

1. There is no longer a 1200 degree "furnace" sitting under my fuel tank in an enclosed space.
    2. There is now less heat to cook my legs and butt in the summertime.
    3. There is now a bit more low end torque - which is nice on the RT
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-11-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default BINGO

BINGO.....
    thx Lamont.....
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default CAT Delete

Where can I get a CAT delete I've looked and am not sure of where to buy one.
    Loving the RYDE

Spyder Garage

Default where to get one

Quote Originally Posted by bzbaeren View Post
    Where can I get a CAT delete I've looked and am not sure of where to buy one.

go to pitbull powersports on the web and get their phone # and call them to order one I don't
    believe they have it on the sight..... you have to call

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Deleting Cats?

This entire subject about "Deleting Cats", has my friend worried... Surprised Cat.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    So, from what you just have wrote; if the brakes on the Spyder go out, the warranty is void because I removed the "cat"...
    Read below.
    You missed this part of my post "There are different warranties on the bike. One is for the emissions system,..." There is a separate warranty on emission systems. And if you remove or modify the emission system, then the warranty on the emission system is no longer valid. So if your brakes are part of that, I guess your comment would be true.

Check http://transportpolicy.net/index.php...les:_Emissions.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Only had ours a few days before making the change and very happy I did. The weight savings and potential heat reduction are all secondary to the sound!

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    You missed this part of my post "There are different warranties on the bike. One is for the emissions system,..." There is a separate warranty on emission systems. And if you remove or modify the emission system, then the warranty on the emission system is no longer valid. So if your brakes are part of that, I guess your comment would be true.

Check http://transportpolicy.net/index.php...les:_Emissions.
    Agree to disagree. If there are issues with the exhaust and you did modify it, then yes, that would void the emission's warranty ONLY. Lots of people think that if you do this it automatically voids the whole warranty without even having the opportunity for the dealer to make the call.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Just remember the EVAP canister, Purge valve and roll off valve as well as hoses are part of emission coverage. They go out you are SOL if the dealer voids emission warranty. 2 of those 3 have been known to quit working correctly.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

You can always put it back on if you have a problem.

Spyder Garage

BINGO.....
    thx Lamont.....
    Dan
    BINGO! Your going to cause climate change, it's the most dangers think ever. Now the end is near!

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel as if a little bit of "Global Warming" would seem pretty nice right now...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Climate Change!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I feel as if a little bit of "Global Warming" would seem pretty nice right now...
    Come on out to Australia and you would experience all the heat one body could ever wish for. Come to think of it I would settle for some snow at the moment, can always add more clothes. I'm down to next to the least I can without getting locked up for indecent exposure and am still way to bloody hot. Apologies for off topic comment but hopefully a little humour is allowed ??
    Cheers
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Just remember the EVAP canister, Purge valve and roll off valve as well as hoses are part of emission coverage. They go out you are SOL if the dealer voids emission warranty. 2 of those 3 have been known to quit working correctly.
    Or you could just put it back on if you're really that worried about it.
    I've been modding bikes for 15 years including blowers and nitrous and have never had a claim rejected that was legit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    ...that would void the emission's warranty ONLY.
    And if you read my post again, you will see that I said it would void the emission systems warranty.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture